SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cruising/learning

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Barquito 
#1 ·
I am planning a website which will offer high quality information on sailing and cruising: technology, equipment, repairs, safety, chartering, destinations and, provisioning, cruising and sailing tips and other topics.
What sort of information would you like to see on such a website, how would you want it presented and who would you want to see it presented by? What sort of interaction would you like to see?
I'm looking for any and all suggestions so as to set up a completely user friendly site, one that satisfies our need for the best in information to make our sport/lifestyle/hobby easier, more fun, safer and better.
Thanks, looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

#3 ·
I didn't explain this as well as I could have I suppose so I deserved that comment. Sailnet offers a great deal and I've certainly used it to advantage on more than one occasion. And the crew here are very helpful, absolutely.
I'm talking about more of a 'learning' format, rather like a series of online 'seminars', video and so on, presented by professionals in the sailing world - rather than the more casual 'chat' style here. It would be the difference between being in a classroom with world class lecturers, and being in the cafeteria at the school. Here, we're in the cafeteria.
Perhaps now what I'm thinking of makes more sense?

#6 ·
Maine Sail posts here, he has excellent write ups on boat electrical systems, batteries, and wiring. He also posts on other boat systems and equipment (a really interesting article on through hulls for one).
Bob Perry (yes, that Bob Perry) posts here.
There is a lot of quality information from lots of members.
That said, I like where you are going. Have you considered combing through the Sailnet info to cull out the posts/articles you want and then add to them? Maybe talk to a moderator (or two of them) and ask if they can set up an area for the data you want to collect.
I don't mean this to sound like a smart aleck, but a lot of what you envision is already here, I suspect. It would be a matter of working with the site to collect, catalog and organize the data and then advertise for new topics to round out what you envision.

#11 ·
i have learned a hell of a lot about sailing on this site,jeff h has schooled me and actually changned my direction on boat preformance and therefore purchase,,,,maine sail has excellent work on boat maintenance issues that has come into play on my vessel......this site rocks and was the only site of this type that i routinely viewed while on my 4400 mile roundtrip to the bahamas,from maine

#12 ·
If you've got the motivation and talents to make such a website, I say go for it! Remember, content is king, so make the information well-written and well-researched. The web is a crowded place and you'll need top-notch content and/or a unique approach to capture a big audience. Which begs the question, are you planning to monetize the website, or simply put it out there as a resource?

Or, if you're like me, you'll make the website as a learning tool for yourself because you learn easiest by writing/sharing and simply enjoy the process, regardless of the traffic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.