SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Cruising/learning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96727-cruising-learning.html)

canucksailorguy 02-17-2013 03:54 PM

Cruising/learning

I am planning a website which will offer high quality information on sailing and cruising: technology, equipment, repairs, safety, chartering, destinations and, provisioning, cruising and sailing tips and other topics.
What sort of information would you like to see on such a website, how would you want it presented and who would you want to see it presented by? What sort of interaction would you like to see?
I'm looking for any and all suggestions so as to set up a completely user friendly site, one that satisfies our need for the best in information to make our sport/lifestyle/hobby easier, more fun, safer and better.
Thanks, looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

sd1953 02-17-2013 04:40 PM

Re: Cruising/learning

I am already as member of such a site...
it's called Sailnet.com.
You might want to take a look at it. You could save yourself a lot of trouble in creating such a site and maybe work with the moderators of Sailnet to keep it the site you are looking for...
Just sayin

canucksailorguy 02-17-2013 05:30 PM

I didn't explain this as well as I could have I suppose so I deserved that comment. Sailnet offers a great deal and I've certainly used it to advantage on more than one occasion. And the crew here are very helpful, absolutely.
I'm talking about more of a 'learning' format, rather like a series of online 'seminars', video and so on, presented by professionals in the sailing world - rather than the more casual 'chat' style here. It would be the difference between being in a classroom with world class lecturers, and being in the cafeteria at the school. Here, we're in the cafeteria.
Perhaps now what I'm thinking of makes more sense?

bljones 02-17-2013 05:40 PM

food.

canucksailorguy 02-17-2013 05:49 PM

Hey, you're already a good cook! lol....

sd1953 02-18-2013 01:12 PM

Maine Sail posts here, he has excellent write ups on boat electrical systems, batteries, and wiring. He also posts on other boat systems and equipment (a really interesting article on through hulls for one).
Bob Perry (yes, that Bob Perry) posts here.
There is a lot of quality information from lots of members.
That said, I like where you are going. Have you considered combing through the Sailnet info to cull out the posts/articles you want and then add to them? Maybe talk to a moderator (or two of them) and ask if they can set up an area for the data you want to collect.
I don't mean this to sound like a smart aleck, but a lot of what you envision is already here, I suspect. It would be a matter of working with the site to collect, catalog and organize the data and then advertise for new topics to round out what you envision.

FSMike 02-18-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canucksailorguy (Post 991366)
---
I'm talking about more of a 'learning' format, rather like a series of online 'seminars', video and so on ---

Sort of like the SSCA "webinars"?

canucksailorguy 02-18-2013 09:20 PM

I'm not a member of SSCA - what exactly are their webinars about?

FSMike 02-18-2013 10:05 PM

You can check out their site at ssca.org - they have a list of upcoming webinars on their home page.

canucksailorguy 02-18-2013 10:43 PM

I found that, and thanks - very interesting.