SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Grampian 26 Questions (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96729-grampian-26-questions.html)

SEA BEAR 02-17-2013 04:51 PM

Grampian 26 Questions

Hi all
I am a new owner of a grampian 26 swing keel purchased late last Fall.
The boat has a yanmar yse8 inboard. I was wondering if by putting a 9.9hp
outboard on as a precaution untill i gain confidence with the yanmar will it effect the boat too much. They about 100lbs. Also anybody know about how the keel cable seals as it goes into the hull. I have lots of questions but these two will do for now.
Thank you all in advance.

bljones 02-17-2013 05:26 PM

Re: Grampian 26 Questions

welcome aboard!
is the yanmar currently a running engine that starts easily and doesn't smoke?

SEA BEAR 02-17-2013 05:33 PM

Yes it does start ,just a small amount of smoke. But i have not run it in the water yet.

bljones 02-17-2013 05:48 PM

then you're good. a yanmar disel is a reliable economical engine. adding a second unnecessary engine is just adding a complication. Put the money you would have spent on an outboard and motor mount into replacing the fuel filter, injector, impeller, fuel hoses, belt and thermostat, a yanmar shop manual and calder's book on diesel engine maintenance.

MikeOReilly 02-17-2013 06:15 PM

I agree with bljones. Invest the money in some basic maintenance, or better still, if you can find a weekend course, sign up.

Just wanted to say too that you've bought yourself a good boat. I just sold our Grampian 34 and have sailed a number of 26s, although never the swing-keel version. Grampians are known as solid, no-nonsense cruising boats. I'm sure you'll have many a good day with this new boat. Congrats

SEA BEAR 02-17-2013 06:26 PM

Thanks guys
wil be doing all that you said. Any info on the keel cable sealing through the hull?.

Thanks again will be asking more questions over the next few weeks

jimq26 02-18-2013 09:54 AM

You may wish to go to the Grampian website and see if you can find your answer there. Go to index

My G-26 is standard fin keel so I'm no help.

aa3jy 02-18-2013 10:52 AM

Great little starter boat for us. We went just about everywhere on the Chesapeake Bay. But we didn't have an inboard(Honda 9.9 outboard) also had a fixed keel. There was so much room (no inboard engine)under the cockpit we could store the dingy's sailing mast) As I recall check for 'oil canning' of the haul and the interior cross member mast support(had no compression post) as it was a deck stepped..

Over all a fun little boat:D

SloopJonB 02-18-2013 12:50 PM

One of the very first things I'd do to a G-26 is go to the C&C owners site - they have a supplier who still has those stanchion bases that mount OVER the "holey rail" instead of through the deck inboard of it.

Re-doing the stanchions that way would give you enough extra width on your side decks that you could actully use them instead of having to go forward over that high cabin top.