Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: Double or single lifelines?

That might work. I guess I am not giving amsteel the credit it deserves. I seem to recall reading something a while back about the spliced eyes needing to be a certain size in order to not reduce the strength of the line (it was significantly weakened going around a small radius turn), is that still the case? If so then I guess I could just use a thimble.
Any suggestions for line for the lashings?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

Yes, any line of any material is weakened if it's bent around a radius smaller than what is recommended. For instance, most rope manufacturers suggest an 8:1 ratio. So for 1/4" line you need a 2" sheave, thimble, whatever. I can tell you that you probably won't need to worry about it breaking. The stanchions will absorb a lot of the shock load. I just splice mine to the ring on the pullpits or lash them there. I'm using 1/4" line which works really well. 8600 lbs breaking strength is a little much and I'll probably drop it to 3/16 when I replace it. But the stuff is cheap and easy to splice, it's not like it takes 1/2 a day to change them out, or longer like it would w/ steel.

I use spiderline for lashing. Dyneema core with poly cover. You can use "Lash-it" as well, but it's more expensive and doesn't hold knots as well. I would change out the lashing every year as cheap insurance. A mini spool is only $16.
Old 02-21-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
...I can tell you that you probably won't need to worry about it breaking. The stanchions will absorb a lot of the shock load. I just splice mine to the ring on the pullpits or lash them there. I'm using 1/4" line which works really well. 8600 lbs breaking strength is a little much and I'll probably drop it to 3/16 when I replace it. But the stuff is cheap and easy to splice, it's not like it takes 1/2 a day to change them out, or longer like it would w/ steel....
8600 lb is probably more than needed, but before you go with 3/16" line remember that the tension on the line will be waaaay more than your body weight. You need to do the geometry here:

Also remember that the rated strength is for new line. As soon as it gets UV, weather, and chafe at the contact points, your actual tensile strength goes down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

My point is, the stanchions will fail before the line does.