Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Double or single lifelines?

I need to replace the lifelines on my boat, and I am considering getting rid of the lower set and just having a single lifeline each side. Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Double or single lifelines?

Neither would likely prevent anyone from falling overboard if they lost their balance and was not hanging on. On every boat I've seen they lifelines are at mid-thigh level at the most, which is well below the body's leverage point. The top one is good for hanging onto when negotiating the decks, and provides some stability while traversing from point A to Point B. For safety purposes, I have a 1-inch nylon webbing jack line that runs the full length of the boat and firmly attached to the mast as well.

The one benefit of the lower lifeline is that it may prevent a small child from falling overboard, and you can string safety netting to both lines, which provides a fair amount of security for children and pets alike.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 02-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I never looked at my lifelines as being able to hold me in. but as the last thing I would grab as I slipped and was heading for the water ( like Wile E Coyote) or something to hold onto when moving toward the bow although I beleive in keeping your center pointed at the the center and leaning into the center

Look at its height in terms of a 10 year old ( 4"6'), a small woman (5') and not as a 5'9"-6'4' male. Besides who says you are upright when headed overboard. Ive seen people slide right under a double lifeline

Personally ( I replaced my own 4 years ago) I put both back on as the more to reach and grab at as you head overboard, the better.
kellysails, msmith10 and outbound like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-17-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2013
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

While it's true that lifelines might not keep a person from going over IF they're standing up, most of the time you aren't standing up. A lower lifeline may keep you on board in a knockdown, while you may just slide under the lifelines if the lower one isn't there. The lower one will also give more security to rail meat. That being said, in my last knockdown, I still managed to slide under the lower one and ended up in the drink.
For a long-distance single-handed race next year, I'm planning on adding netting, which is actually required by the sanctioning body for the race.
I also think it can't help but strengthen the whole system.
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by msmith10; 02-17-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2013
Remember you're a womble

No kids, no racing, if that makes any difference The other alternative was to do away with them entirely, they are next to useless now and mostly just act as a way to trip me up getting on and off at the dock.
c. breeze likes this.

Old 02-17-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Sounds like it is time to add a door way to your lifeline system if you do not have something equal. Not sure I would do away with them frankly, even if I could, I can not do to the amount of racing I do, rules etc.

I would also keep both the upper and lower as the lower might be what keeps you in vs the upper. I also find it helps keel the jib in bound when hoisting, taking down etc a bit easier, along with a bit more to tie the jib down when coming in etc. Then again, if you have something called a roller furling headsail......not sure what that is personally, maybe you do not need the lifelines to control a downed jib!

With that in mind......I've rambled enough!

marty

ps,
I would look at one of the rope style setups vs wire rope personally if I had to redo my setup!
Old 02-17-2013
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Then again, if you have something called a roller furling headsail......not sure what that is personally, maybe you do not need the lifelines to control a downed jib!

marty
Like you, Marty, I'm waiting to install that new-fangled roller furling headsail system until I see if it catches on.
Old 02-17-2013
Remember you're a womble

I looked at prices of amsteel vs stainless and there isn't really much in it by the time I've bought new fittings so I don't really see a compelling argument either way for line or cable.
I can unclip the lifelines on one side easily enough, but that just leaves the lifelines down on the deck and ready to trip me up, there isn't really room for a gate. If it were just me on the boat all the time then I would have them all fixed and just step over them, alas the occasional visit from the Admiral and the mutt means there has to be an easy step on/off.
I also noticed that the upper and lower lines are different diameters.
Anyone had any experience with the Suncor Quick Attach fittings?

Old 02-18-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Despite misapprehensions by many, the strength of life-lines does not come from stanchions, which merely hold the life-lines in position, but from the end connectors when the life-line goes into tension as a load is placed on it alone it's length, in a manner similar to the load a bow string when an arrow is drawn or the supporting ropes of a hammock. It is the tension in the line, not the bending resistance in the stanchions, that keep one aboard. (The stanchions do help of course, but their strength in bending is nothing compared to the tensile strength in the wire/rope.) By eliminating the lower life-line, you will significantly reduce the strength of the entire life-line "system". As pointed out elsewhere herein, at a height of 24 to 30 inches, a person standing full height is not going to be stopped from going over the side. But, when does one ever really see someone out for a stroll standing up-right when conditions get crappy? Most people are crouched over, if not on their knees, and a lurch coming off of a wave, or the misfortune of a wave breaking over one while on deck (BTDT), can throw one into the life-lines, at which point one wants all the strength they can offer (to say nothing of blocking one from sliding under the upper life-line). Eliminating the lower life line will significantly degrade the performance potential of your life-line system. (They ain't called "life-lines" for no reason!)

FWIW...
Flybyknight likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 02-18-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

I've watched video of sailors sliding under the upper lifeline, because they remove the middle line to save weight. A plain silly thing to do. Lifelines are most effective at stoping sliding bodies--they were never intended to help standing sailors--and removing the middle line ruins that.
Flybyknight likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.