Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Re: Womboat Takes a Strike.

Bummer Andrew, hope things turn around for you and the Womboat. Apart from sinking a lightning strike (close) seems like the next worst case scenario as far as damage (well, other than fire maybe).

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

When we suffered our lightning strike last summer the insurance company was not an issue. The most important factor for us was that our marine electrician was used to working with the insurance companies surveyor already. That relationship helped expedite repairs and they trusted each other.

After I made my the companies surveyor came aboard with me and the electrician and we went through everything. As far as electronics they replaced anything damaged with the same. If we wanted to upgrade and the same was available they paid for what we had had and we paid the upgrade difference. If it want available they paid for the closest similar item.

You will have to be the one to coordinate them and keep them on task. Lots of forms, pictures etc. They began he work immediately after the surveyor looked t everything and gave us verbal confirmations on starting replacements. It ok about 3-4 weeks,

We still can't believe the flash we saw inside our cabin a realize how lucky we are. Same with you guys. Glad you weren't aboard.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-17-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Sounds nasty... our condolences from down here, Andrew

Glad the engine runs - that's something at least and I do hope the mast itself is ok. Electronics can be replaced without too much bother, but rigging is annoying. Any signs of arcing around the chainplates?

Wish I were closer - I'd be out there in a flash...
Old 02-18-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Wow that was a bolt from the blue...... glad you and Wendy were not on board at the time.
Good luck with the repairs, at least you should have all new electrics and wire before you swollow the company office key.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 02-19-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I thought Wombats lived in burrows.... No lightning to worry about! I would have paid anything to see the Wombat's fur standing all out on end.

Sorry to hear about the news. Hopefully the rigging is still good and your insurer pays up well. Perhaps you can get some fancy new electronic toys!

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 02-19-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Insurer thus far has been very helpful so I'm feeling relatively confident about them.

Waiting for timing from yard to haul the lady. She'll be out of the water for roughly two weeks minimum.

Med ... when it comes to lightning I wish I did live in a burrow.

One issue that needs mentioning is depreciation of electrical equipment. This is something that may or may not be a problem with anything that is fried.

Anywho .... we'll know a bit more in the next few days.

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-19-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
One issue that needs mentioning is depreciation of electrical equipment. This is something that may or may not be a problem with anything that is fried.
A, as good as it is/was, some of the stuff I've seen on board the Womboat is rather out-dated now and hence wouldn't be worth much at all.

Hopefully the insurers will cough up for new.. at least that's what I'd like tho expect they'd do. Who are you insured with?

The other issue will be your needing to come up to speed with the new gear - some of which will be radically different to operate (and not necessarily better in that regard) than your current systems... That in itself will be a right PITA.
Old 02-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Continental ( Boat US) did not depreciate anything. It was like for like replacement. New models were like for like if they the werent made anymore. I had a Raymarine C80...they replaced with a C90w. If I wanted an E7 I had to pay the difference. I had a Uniden with a wireless remote mic with DSC. NOt made anymnore. So the only one made was a simrad VHF and wireless. No extra charge. We like the wireless mic as you can take it in the dinghy or forward and it operates at 1/4 mile off the mast antannae.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-19-2013

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

Never having had to insure a large boat before, what is the usual approach to depreciation? I know as an asset, in regards to tax, the value of a boat depreciates quite rapidly but this wouldn't make sense in regards to insurance (to me).

Fingers crossed the insurance guys aren't going to be too much of a pain about this.
Old 02-20-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Bent ... I'm trying to get the full drum on the depreciation issue but generally speaking with plant and machinery insurance, up to ten years it is replace, beyond ten years it depreciates 20% per annum. How you insurer handles it may depend on your specific policy.

Hartley ... Overall the two pieces of equipment that are most outdated on the Womboat are the Radar and the Chartplotter in the cockpit. All other instruments were only superceded by Raymarine a year or so back. Of interest is the fact that the new models are in the main less expesnive the the old stuff when it was new,

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.