SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Adding 2" foam to v-berth bedding (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96751-adding-2-foam-v-berth-bedding.html)

Magnolia 02-18-2013 09:19 AM

Adding 2" foam to v-berth bedding

1 Attachment(s)
The below picture is our v-berth. I want to add a 2" foam mattress on top of the mattresses you see because it is hard as a rock. I already have the foam mattress, it is part of a 4" topper we have on our king size bed. We thought we would bring the v-berth mattresses home, use them as a pattern to cut out the foam, and then cover the foam with removable slipcovers.

My question is...should we use something in-between the two mattresses to ward off moisture?

zz4gta 02-18-2013 10:12 AM

Re: Adding 2" foam to v-berth bedding

Welcome to Foam Factory, Inc.

Buy new foam, make new cushions, you'll be much happier. Unless you like the plaid.

SVTatia 02-18-2013 10:15 AM

Before you get into adding more foam, check the Froli system, it is meant to solve these types of problems and users swear by it.
Froli Sleep Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC

Alex W 02-18-2013 11:16 AM

I agree with replacing the foam. I'm in the process if doing that now and ordered a 4" twin foam mattress from Foam Factory to cut up for my V-berth, and a full size one to cut up for my quarterberth. I've also thought about making a 2" topper at some point that could be rolled up to get to storage underneath and that would bridge the gaps between the 4" thick cushions. It's a lower priority though, and I'll see how the cushions feel with new foam.

I'm using my existing covers, they are in good shape despite being original to the 1986 boat. They also aren't plaid.

Froli sounds interesting. How does it affect access to lockers that are underneath?

SVTatia 02-18-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex W (Post 991809)

Froli sounds interesting. How does it affect access to lockers that are underneath?

When they are connected they form a web, you just lift it up with the cushion. I have talked to friends that were going to replace their foam mattress and decided otherwise and are happy they didn't - it solves two problems, the old foam and condensation underneath.
Do a bit a search and you see the testimonials.
BTW, I am not connected in any way with this company or product.

MarkofSeaLife 02-18-2013 12:14 PM

I have done exacly what you are thinking and it works fine.
nothing between the boat amtteras and the foam. Not Memory foat etc, just a 2 inch cheapiy cut with scissors. makes the world of difference!!!!!!!!!! :)

kellysails 02-18-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVTatia (Post 991784)
Before you get into adding more foam, check the Froli system, it is meant to solve these types of problems and users swear by it.
Froli Sleep Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC

+++ on the Froli System, my wife and I love it. We bought the "Star" variant. Works fine in a V berth. Not cheap but it was our xmas present to each other, well worth it.

Magnolia 02-18-2013 03:25 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Since I already have the foam, I think I will try that route first before buying anything else. ;)

overbored 02-18-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellysails (Post 991855)
+++ on the Froli System, my wife and I love it. We bought the "Star" variant. Works fine in a V berth. Not cheap but it was our xmas present to each other, well worth it.

how thick is the foam you have on top of the Froli. the price seems to be less then new 4" foam

Alex W 02-18-2013 03:40 PM

If you cut up your own foam then it can be quite cheap. The 4" foam mattresses that I bought were under $200 shipped. The foam for the V-berth was under $100. The Froli for a V-berth is $279.