Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Every day's a good day in Paradise...

A massive cold front ripped through the Florida Keys two days ago, bringing rain and rapidly falling temperatures. This morning, temperature was a brisk 51 degrees at sunrise. Thankfully, the boat has a great heat-pump that kept the boat nice and comfy.

By noon, the temperature had moderated to 71 degrees, perfect for riding the bicycle to Publics and a quick stop at the local liquor store to restock the Green Coconut Margaretta components.

After lunch, the wind was still howling, but there were still things to see and do. Aiding a lady in distress was the first order of business. She had just returned from the grocery store with a load of fresh produce and fresh caught fish fillets, all of which were sitting in plastic bags in the bottom of her dinghy. Problem was her outboard motor was flooded and try as she may, it would not start. It took me a few minutes to diagnose the problem and get the engine fired up. She was a happy sailor, gave me a hug and kiss, then shoved off across the harbor. Story of my life - the good looking, young gals always seem to leave you standing at the dock.

Sunsets are spectacular here, as well as the sunrises, which I never seem to get out of bed early enough to witness. And, of course, there are lots of neat people here to photograph as well. During the last 30 minutes of daylight I snapped the photos below.

Wednesday nights at the Marathon City Marina's Tiki Hut are reserved for Meet & Greet, a get together where folks get to meet newcomers to the harbor and us oldsters get to fire up the marina's grills and show off our culinary skills.

The view from the Tiki Hut is pretty spectacular, particularly when perusing the adjacent harbor.

Over the years there has been a lot of sailors from all parts of the globe that stopped in Marathon - some just stuck around for a decade or two and others left signs.

Captain Jack, who just turned 91, is a permanent fixture at the marina, still rides his bike every day, still hits on the ladies, and lives aboard his 28-foot sailboat. Jack came here more than two decades ago.

When most folks come to the marina from their mooring balls, they're often accompanied by children, and or pets. These are some happy youngsters and they love sailing.

The pets are always happy to come ashore, especially the dogs. They have one thing in mind at least three times a day, therefore while underway they're always at the bow of the dinghy. You can almost hear them saying "C'mon, go faster, I gotta pee bad."

Flowers abound on the island, and after just one day of rain they burst into bloom, even from what appears to be a nearly dead plant growing out of the rocks.

As I stated at the onset, sunsets here are phenomenal to say the least. These were shot from the ramp leading down to the dinghy dock.

About the camera: The above photos were shot with a 12-year-old Sony Mavica CD-1000 digital camera. It's only 2.1 megapixel, but the lens is fantastic - 20:1 zoom.

More to come,

Gary

Last edited by travlineasy; 02-19-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road
Re: Every day's a good day in Paradise...

beautiful
Old 02-18-2013

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

Travlin,
Keep an eye out for a stinkpot CPMY named Libra III. Make the captain buy you a cocktail at happy hour, its my dad.

Oh and tell him his youngest child said hello.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 02-18-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

love it, keep em coming!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 02-18-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I'll check the harbor for your dad in the morning when the Channel 68 Boot Key Harbor Net opens. If he's out there I should be able to find him.

T37, You need to make your way south next year - great place to spend the winter. My only regret is that I didn't schedule my departure for home a month later. Gotta leave this place by March 1st. I'm not lookin forward to it.

Gary
T37Chef likes this.
Old 02-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I'll check the harbor for your dad in the morning when the Channel 68 Boot Key Harbor Net opens. If he's out there I should be able to find him.

T37, You need to make your way south next year - great place to spend the winter. My only regret is that I didn't schedule my departure for home a month later. Gotta leave this place by March 1st. I'm not lookin forward to it.

Gary
Its cold here Gary...but spring is comming 25 days and my winter cover comes off Haleakula and we are sailing again. Wont be any 71 but the days they are getting longer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-19-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
te...

I don't need to be convinced ...the admiral does Great pics & stories, of which I'm sure you have many more of both

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 02-19-2013

Magnolia is on a distinguished road

Thank you, this helped to warm me up a bit!! Sounds like a great little community, hope to be there next year.
Old 02-19-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Great.
Good to see folks wear coats too
Old 02-20-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
My only regret is that I didn't schedule my departure for home a month later. Gotta leave this place by March 1st. I'm not lookin forward to it.

Gary
Aw, c'mon Gary - it was a BEAUTIFUL day on the Chesapeake on Monday... OK, so it WAS a tad nippy, but you've got a cockpit enclosure, right? (grin)

Definitely an steep uphill climb out of my warm sleeping bag that morning for a departure at 0300... By the time I'd finished my 3rd cup of coffe/hot chocolate blend, I was beginning to wonder whether the sun would EVER come up again...

A cockpit enclosure would be criminal on this boat, but a set of weathercloths sure would be nice... (grin)