SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   19 foot Oday for crusing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96771-19-foot-oday-crusing.html)

m2736185 02-18-2013 10:38 PM

19 foot Oday for crusing

Interested in purchasing my first sailboat. Ideally I would prefer something with a fixed keel, but I need something that is trailerable. I also want something I can sail around in the river, intercoastal and along the coast of the atlantic. I am currently looking at the Oday 19 foot with centerboard. What do you guys think of this boat and what would you pay?

tweitz 02-19-2013 08:54 AM

19 foot Oday for crusing

Nice little day sailer in moderate conditions. Not a cruiser.

DRFerron 02-19-2013 11:48 AM

Re: 19 foot Oday for crusing

You're going to have to look at similar boats in similar condition in your area to determine a fair price. It also depends on what is good or bad about the condition of the boat.

I'd have to have some superior seamanship skills to consider taking it coastal.

Barquito 02-19-2013 12:53 PM

Fine for boat camping in protected waters. Same with a boat like a Catalina 22. A small shoal draft fixed keel boat could be trailer launched. If the draft is much more than a couple of feet, then you need to be more choosey about the length and depth of the ramp.

Curious why you are attracted to fixed keel boats?

DonScribner 02-19-2013 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm n ot familiar with anything less than a 25 footer . . . . or anything BUT a 25 footer. That said, far around the same price you can get a slightly larger boat that drafts about the same but will give you better stability on the water. Donna has a good point. If you were day sailing out of the harbor on a beautiful, breezy summer day, hopping to the island for a swim, 19 foot would probably be fine. But, even with my 25 footer, I am the little guy any time I drop anchor or pick up a mooring. I suffer from "mast envy". I dream of inventing "Mastagra - the little anodized pill". There is a reason for that. You can go out for a weekend. One night, gorgeous sunset. In the morning, 25 knot winds with 7 foot seas. Not a great place for a smaller boat.

PPPPPP42 02-19-2013 01:34 PM

What you will pay for any boat can increase or decrease by 100% depending on location and condition.

I have a 76 Oday 22 fixed shoal keel. If (when) I completely replace and reinforce the mast step and anything on the deck involved in a stay I might take it on the great lakes but only close to places to run in case of weather.

All the older Odays I looked at had soft spots in the deck developing and issues with water getting into the shoal keel and freezing due to neglect.

I would look at 22 footers of various brands instead, unless you find a really good deal on a smaller boat. Still trailerable and manageable by one person.
If I had the cash at the time I would have had a 70's Ericson 25 I saw, keel swung right up flush into the hull and it was built like a brick **** house compared to my boat.

If you have rougher water ambitions the extra length is critical to help minimize pitching up and down into waves and the longer the hull usually the wider the beam.

CalebD 02-19-2013 02:00 PM

This couple cruised down SW Florida and into the Keys on their Compac 16 footer. It can be done.
Adventure Vista - A View Into Our World of Adventure

jsaronson 02-19-2013 02:18 PM

I'd look at a Catalina 22. A lot more boat for about the same money.

DRFerron 02-19-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 992293)
This couple cruised down SW Florida and into the Keys on their Compac 16 footer. It can be done.
Adventure Vista - A View Into Our World of Adventure

Are you comparing boats of like build quality?

m2736185 02-19-2013 06:12 PM

Barquito: I prefer the fixed keel because they are much more stable.

I would really prefer a trailerable boat because I am in NE florida and I would prefer to sail along the coast. The marinas in the river are the only affordable ones, but it would take 8-10 hours to sail out of the st johns to the atlantic. The intercoastal marinas cost about 10x the amount to dock a boat. So I am looking for something I can move around on a trailer sail on the lake and also sail out along the coast when I want to. I dont have a huge budget right now. I am in the 2k area to start off. If I were to get a fixed keel I was looking at the tanzer 22 and the call 22, but like I said I wouldnt make it to the atlantic in those.