SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Windless size inquiry (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96777-windless-size-inquiry.html)

randyrhines 02-19-2013 09:30 AM

Windless size inquiry

can anyone tell me what size , (specs) or suggest an electric windless for
my 36' ketch about 8 tons weight, i have about 40' of heavy chain, not sure the size? and 200' rode??
thanks for the help, randy

svHyLyte 02-19-2013 10:01 AM

Re: Windless size inquiry

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyrhines (Post 992179)
can anyone tell me what size , (specs) or suggest an electric windless for
my 36' ketch about 8 tons weight, i have about 40' of heavy chain, not sure the size? and 200' rode??
thanks for the help, randy

Generally, one wants a windlass with a maximum load capacity that is 3x the weight of your maximum anchoring gear load--i.e. anchor, chain and rope rode taking into account the maximum depth you are likely to anchor in including free-board. For more see Windlass Sizing.

FWIW...

chucklesR 02-19-2013 10:38 AM

You will need something in the neighborhood of 1500 - 1800 pounds of pull, which suggests something in the Maxwell RC 10-10 or, if you are day sailing/lunch hooking with a lighter set of ground tackle a RC 8-8 (those are vertical, the horizontals are HRC 10-10 etc..).
That's just one vendor, but I like the 'wave' gypsy they have because it can handle any chain, any rode.
West Marine has those, and also has a 'new' to them offering in that range, a made by AnchorLift (never heard of them). They have a model they call the 'Dolphin' which is priced at about 60% of the Maxwell equivalent. Doesn't include the switching and relays, so if you are budget minded and handy it can save ya some boat bucks

randyrhines 02-19-2013 01:59 PM

Thanks brothers! this is helpful.

capta 02-19-2013 03:03 PM

I would not make a determination by what you are using now, but rather as if you had a full 200 feet of chain and a properly sized anchor, in case you (or the next owner) want to go cruising.
Every manufacturer of windlasses has a vessel size guide for their product line and I'd go with their recommendation.
Anchoring is, IMHO, the most important skill, which everyone should master, if they would like to become competent sailors to protect the lives of those onboard and the vessel.

randyrhines 02-19-2013 09:37 PM

Thanks capt god advice

endoit 03-25-2013 08:32 AM

I am installing a maxwell currently and we are oversizing the unit to accomodate all chain and a larger anchor for my Bristol 35.5 and a 2 anchor system. The thought is that one will be able to sleep better at night and any trips to carribean with coral needs chain.