The boy behind the gate (new book) - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 Old 02-26-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
davidpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Madison
Posts: 3,957
Thanks: 235
Thanked 61 Times in 52 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: The boy behind the gate (new book)

One risk that someone considering long term cruising may figure that once cruising it's all sunshine and new ports with an occasional storm for spice.

The book makes it clear that besides the above much of what we thought we left on land comes with us. Feelings, relationships, community or lack thereof, worries, inadequacy you know life.
Then added to all of the above fixing the boat in exotic locations.

And adventure yes but not like they have in the movies.

What was the problem with the Kommado dragon that chased you? Is that common or were you carrying a live chicken or something?

Would a stick have been effective in backing that dude up?

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
davidpm is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 33 Old 02-26-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: The boy behind the gate (new book)

Aaaah yes, the Komodo Dragons...
The park ranger carried a stick but we never saw him actually defend himself with it and we questioned its potential effectiveness! LOL
When 2 dragons 12 feet long, 3 feet around are charging at you at 15 miles an hour and there's about 50 yards left between you, I can't imagine stopping turning and pointing a stick at them! These things take down water buffalo for breakfast!
I thought our creative solution was a good one and I'm still here to tell the story! (no, I'm not going to give it away here!), but it's in the book! LOL.
Larry
sfsailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #23 of 33 Old 03-19-2013
SV Skalliwag #141
 
brokesailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Homeport: Solomons, Maryland
Posts: 682
Thanks: 16
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
The boy behind the gate (new book)

Larry I did end up buying the book and am about 1/3 thru. Enjoying every minute of it!
sfsailor likes this.
brokesailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #24 of 33 Old 03-19-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: The boy behind the gate (new book)

Dear Broke,
Thank you so much for the kind words. I am SO glad you're enjoying the book. My goal with it was not just tell the story, but to inspire others to live their dreams. Dreams don't have to be about sailing all the way around the world; they can be whatever you want.
Always feel free to ask me questions about the book and our trip. I'm more than glad to meet new friends that way!
All the best,
Larry
sfsailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #25 of 33 Old 03-19-2013
Tartan 27' owner
 
CalebD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,739
Thanks: 4
Thanked 107 Times in 99 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: The boy behind the gate (new book)

Larry,

I also enjoyed reading your book. Sailing (and life) are a series of challenges that sometimes require determination to overcome. You and your crew overcame. I suspect that the work and talent required to do what you did would be too much if you had to do it without crew. Would you do the same trip solo? Doubt I would.

I suspect that much of the membership here does not sport multi colored burgee on their boats but even this membership is not quite as monolithic either. See this boat that sails on the east coast: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/latitu...gotta-see.html
I hope the video link still works. Their cabin interior is amazing, no matter what your taste in interior decorating.
sfsailor likes this.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CalebD is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #26 of 33 Old 03-19-2013
Reward for lost Kraken!
 
hellosailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,449
Thanks: 5
Thanked 131 Times in 128 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
Re: The boy behind the gate (new book)

Oh great, now I've got another book to buy.

Thoughts on Westerbleak [sic] and Mitsu:
Westerbleak is a contractor. They put out bids for everything, and their bidders supply just what the contract calls for. WB (no resemblance to the Looney Tunes compnay?) then assembles all the pieces and slathers red paint over them all.
That means, typically, that Mitsu has nothing to do with the exhaust, all they supply would be THE BLOCK. Or whatever WB contracted with them for. I'd suggest that as the master contractor, WB has the entire responsibility for the finished "WB" engine. And note in passing that WB also paints everything after assembly, including the rubber hoses, which the hose makers say should never be painted.

Mixing plastic and metal gears can be a mistake, but it can also be good engineering. If it is done properly and intentionally, one of the plastic gears will shatter and sacrifice itself instead of something more important (like a structural plate) when there is an overload. And in theory, a plastic gear is a cheap part to easily replace, except in the industrialized world, where motor repair shops have become hard to find.

Amazon? Is the available as an eBook for Kindle yet?
hellosailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #27 of 33 Old 03-19-2013
Tartan 27' owner
 
CalebD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,739
Thanks: 4
Thanked 107 Times in 99 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: The boy behind the gate (new book)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Amazon? Is the available as an eBook for Kindle yet?
That is where I got it and that (kindle) is what I used to read it.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CalebD is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #28 of 33 Old 03-20-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: The boy behind the gate (new book)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Larry,

I also enjoyed reading your book. Sailing (and life) are a series of challenges that sometimes require determination to overcome. You and your crew overcame. I suspect that the work and talent required to do what you did would be too much if you had to do it without crew. Would you do the same trip solo? Doubt I would.

I suspect that much of the membership here does not sport multi colored burgee on their boats but even this membership is not quite as monolithic either. See this boat that sails on the east coast: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/latitu...gotta-see.html
I hope the video link still works. Their cabin interior is amazing, no matter what your taste in interior decorating.
Hey Caleb,
I wouldn't want to go sailing alone. I LIKE people and I want to share wonderful moments with my friends and loved ones. That Irwin is gorgeous! However, something tells me she hasn't seen too many 20-30 foot seas!
Thank you for your support, and recognizing the challenges we faced. I really appreciate your input, questions, comments, and new friendship.
Larry
sfsailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #29 of 33 Old 03-20-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: The boy behind the gate (new book)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Oh great, now I've got another book to buy.

Thoughts on Westerbleak [sic] and Mitsu:
Westerbleak is a contractor. They put out bids for everything, and their bidders supply just what the contract calls for. WB (no resemblance to the Looney Tunes compnay?) then assembles all the pieces and slathers red paint over them all.
That means, typically, that Mitsu has nothing to do with the exhaust, all they supply would be THE BLOCK. Or whatever WB contracted with them for. I'd suggest that as the master contractor, WB has the entire responsibility for the finished "WB" engine. And note in passing that WB also paints everything after assembly, including the rubber hoses, which the hose makers say should never be painted.

Mixing plastic and metal gears can be a mistake, but it can also be good engineering. If it is done properly and intentionally, one of the plastic gears will shatter and sacrifice itself instead of something more important (like a structural plate) when there is an overload. And in theory, a plastic gear is a cheap part to easily replace, except in the industrialized world, where motor repair shops have become hard to find.

Amazon? Is the available as an eBook for Kindle yet?
Hello HelloSailor!
Yes, we learned that about Westerbeke and ended up going to Mitsubishi forklift dealers around the world for parts at 1/3 the price of Westerbeke!
And sorry, but yes, another book to buy...LOL. It's available in every format including audio. You can find links at my website of Web Page Under Construction
I really do hope you enjoy it!
All the best
Larry
sfsailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #30 of 33 Old 03-20-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 261
Thanks: 4
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: The boy behind the gate (new book)

Just bought the book for Kindle. I can't wait to get started on it this evening.


I want to thank you, Larry, for taking the time to come onto SN and share your experiences and to answer questions. Like so many have said before, it is a wonderful opportunity to get to interact with the author of the book you read. So much so that I purchased the book.

Thank you, David, for bringing another author / book to SN.
ShoalFinder is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flux Gate AMEX Bavaria 1 07-21-2009 11:45 AM
Gate valves and why we don't use them... sailboy21 Gear & Maintenance 28 11-12-2008 10:55 PM
Out the Gate with Keelhaulin SimonV General Discussion (sailing related) 15 02-28-2008 09:11 AM
Hell Gate ralphmacey General Discussion (sailing related) 3 11-01-2007 11:00 AM
GATE VALVE drynoc Gear & Maintenance 2 03-08-2004 05:16 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome