Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: The boy behind the gate (new book)

One risk that someone considering long term cruising may figure that once cruising it's all sunshine and new ports with an occasional storm for spice.

The book makes it clear that besides the above much of what we thought we left on land comes with us. Feelings, relationships, community or lack thereof, worries, inadequacy you know life.
Then added to all of the above fixing the boat in exotic locations.

And adventure yes but not like they have in the movies.

What was the problem with the Kommado dragon that chased you? Is that common or were you carrying a live chicken or something?

Would a stick have been effective in backing that dude up?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2013

sfsailor is on a distinguished road

Aaaah yes, the Komodo Dragons...
The park ranger carried a stick but we never saw him actually defend himself with it and we questioned its potential effectiveness! LOL
When 2 dragons 12 feet long, 3 feet around are charging at you at 15 miles an hour and there's about 50 yards left between you, I can't imagine stopping turning and pointing a stick at them! These things take down water buffalo for breakfast!
I thought our creative solution was a good one and I'm still here to tell the story! (no, I'm not going to give it away here!), but it's in the book! LOL.
Larry
Old 03-19-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
The boy behind the gate (new book)

Larry I did end up buying the book and am about 1/3 thru. Enjoying every minute of it!
sfsailor likes this.
Old 03-19-2013

Dear Broke,
Thank you so much for the kind words. I am SO glad you're enjoying the book. My goal with it was not just tell the story, but to inspire others to live their dreams. Dreams don't have to be about sailing all the way around the world; they can be whatever you want.
Always feel free to ask me questions about the book and our trip. I'm more than glad to meet new friends that way!
All the best,
Larry
Old 03-19-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Larry,

I also enjoyed reading your book. Sailing (and life) are a series of challenges that sometimes require determination to overcome. You and your crew overcame. I suspect that the work and talent required to do what you did would be too much if you had to do it without crew. Would you do the same trip solo? Doubt I would.

I suspect that much of the membership here does not sport multi colored burgee on their boats but even this membership is not quite as monolithic either. See this boat that sails on the east coast: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/latitu...gotta-see.html
I hope the video link still works. Their cabin interior is amazing, no matter what your taste in interior decorating.
sfsailor likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Oh great, now I've got another book to buy.

Thoughts on Westerbleak [sic] and Mitsu:
Westerbleak is a contractor. They put out bids for everything, and their bidders supply just what the contract calls for. WB (no resemblance to the Looney Tunes compnay?) then assembles all the pieces and slathers red paint over them all.
That means, typically, that Mitsu has nothing to do with the exhaust, all they supply would be THE BLOCK. Or whatever WB contracted with them for. I'd suggest that as the master contractor, WB has the entire responsibility for the finished "WB" engine. And note in passing that WB also paints everything after assembly, including the rubber hoses, which the hose makers say should never be painted.

Mixing plastic and metal gears can be a mistake, but it can also be good engineering. If it is done properly and intentionally, one of the plastic gears will shatter and sacrifice itself instead of something more important (like a structural plate) when there is an overload. And in theory, a plastic gear is a cheap part to easily replace, except in the industrialized world, where motor repair shops have become hard to find.

Amazon? Is the available as an eBook for Kindle yet?
Old 03-19-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

That is where I got it and that (kindle) is what I used to read it.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Larry,

I also enjoyed reading your book. Sailing (and life) are a series of challenges that sometimes require determination to overcome. You and your crew overcame. I suspect that the work and talent required to do what you did would be too much if you had to do it without crew. Would you do the same trip solo? Doubt I would.

I suspect that much of the membership here does not sport multi colored burgee on their boats but even this membership is not quite as monolithic either. See this boat that sails on the east coast: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/latitu...gotta-see.html
I hope the video link still works. Their cabin interior is amazing, no matter what your taste in interior decorating.
Hey Caleb,
I wouldn't want to go sailing alone. I LIKE people and I want to share wonderful moments with my friends and loved ones. That Irwin is gorgeous! However, something tells me she hasn't seen too many 20-30 foot seas!
Thank you for your support, and recognizing the challenges we faced. I really appreciate your input, questions, comments, and new friendship.
Larry
Old 03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Oh great, now I've got another book to buy.

Thoughts on Westerbleak [sic] and Mitsu:
Westerbleak is a contractor. They put out bids for everything, and their bidders supply just what the contract calls for. WB (no resemblance to the Looney Tunes compnay?) then assembles all the pieces and slathers red paint over them all.
That means, typically, that Mitsu has nothing to do with the exhaust, all they supply would be THE BLOCK. Or whatever WB contracted with them for. I'd suggest that as the master contractor, WB has the entire responsibility for the finished "WB" engine. And note in passing that WB also paints everything after assembly, including the rubber hoses, which the hose makers say should never be painted.

Mixing plastic and metal gears can be a mistake, but it can also be good engineering. If it is done properly and intentionally, one of the plastic gears will shatter and sacrifice itself instead of something more important (like a structural plate) when there is an overload. And in theory, a plastic gear is a cheap part to easily replace, except in the industrialized world, where motor repair shops have become hard to find.

Hello HelloSailor!
Yes, we learned that about Westerbeke and ended up going to Mitsubishi forklift dealers around the world for parts at 1/3 the price of Westerbeke!
And sorry, but yes, another book to buy...LOL. It's available in every format including audio. You can find links at my website of Web Page Under Construction
I really do hope you enjoy it!
All the best
Larry
Old 03-20-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Just bought the book for Kindle. I can't wait to get started on it this evening.

I want to thank you, Larry, for taking the time to come onto SN and share your experiences and to answer questions. Like so many have said before, it is a wonderful opportunity to get to interact with the author of the book you read. So much so that I purchased the book.

Thank you, David, for bringing another author / book to SN.