SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Atomic 4 inboard vs outboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96812-atomic-4-inboard-vs-outboard.html)

SailingSouth180 02-20-2013 03:16 PM

Atomic 4 inboard vs outboard
 
I have a perfectly running original 1975 atomic 4 inboard. However, I was thinking about going with an outboard as a backup. For a 28ft boat, what size outboard should I purchase? I don't know much about inboard motors, but it's hard to get to the inboard for maintenance etc. I may pull it out. What are your thoughts here?

RobGallagher 02-20-2013 03:31 PM

Re: Atomic 4 inboard vs outboard
 
Leave it. An inflatable with a 4hp lashed to the beam will get ul where u need to go in a pinch.

chuck53 02-20-2013 03:43 PM

Re: Atomic 4 inboard vs outboard
 
28' is a lot of boat to be pushing with an outboard, not that it can't be done. I'm willing to bet $5 if you made the switch, you'd be sorry you did. I've got a buddy who used to have a 26' with an outboard and he hated it. Absolutely loves having an inboard in his new, larger boat.
Just have your A4 serviced and keep on going. Don't bother with an outboard.

MastUndSchotbruch 02-20-2013 04:02 PM

Re: Atomic 4 inboard vs outboard
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SailingSouth180 (Post 992797)
I have a perfectly running original 1975 atomic 4 inboard. However, I was thinking about going with an outboard as a backup. For a 28ft boat, what size outboard should I purchase? I don't know much about inboard motors, but it's hard to get to the inboard for maintenance etc. I may pull it out. What are your thoughts here?

You have a perfectly running inboard motor and you want a backup? What for? Do you have a backup for the mast, the sails, the hull?

chuck53 02-20-2013 04:07 PM

Re: Atomic 4 inboard vs outboard
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch (Post 992832)
You have a perfectly running inboard motor and you want a backup? What for? Do you have a backup for the mast, the sails, the hull?

First he said having a outboard backup and then said he may pull out the A4 altogether.

MastUndSchotbruch 02-20-2013 04:16 PM

Re: Atomic 4 inboard vs outboard
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck53 (Post 992836)
First he said having a outboard backup and then said he may pull out the A4 altogether.

OK, that's worse. Remove a perfectly working (so s/he says) inboard and replace with an outboard??? Because there are some potential access problems? Makes no sense to me at all.

SailingSouth180 02-20-2013 04:25 PM

Atomic 4 inboard vs outboard
 
I want a backup to be on the safe side. I was going to have another mast, and sails but I don't have enough room ;) I was only toying with the notion of pulling the inboard out because its an older motor and it leaves me a little unnerved. I suppose a yearly service would settle that symptom. I do not know much about motors so the fear of having one die on me sticks in the back of my head whilst sailing.

MastUndSchotbruch 02-20-2013 04:29 PM

Re: Atomic 4 inboard vs outboard
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SailingSouth180 (Post 992849)
I want a backup to be on the safe side. I was going to have another mast, and sails but I don't have enough room ;) I was only toying with the notion of pulling the inboard out because its an older motor and it leaves me a little unnerved. I suppose a yearly service would settle that symptom. I do not know much about motors so the fear of having one die on me sticks in the back of my head whilst sailing.

Find moyermarine.com on the web. They know all about the Atomic 4 and are very helpful.

If there is one inboard motor that you can maintain yourself, it is the A4!

SailingSouth180 02-20-2013 04:32 PM

Awesome, thank you very much. I really appreciate it!

MastUndSchotbruch 02-20-2013 04:38 PM

Re: Atomic 4 inboard vs outboard
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SailingSouth180 (Post 992854)
Awesome, thank you very much. I really appreciate it!

no sweat


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012