Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013

TheGunther is on a distinguished road
Is it possible?

Is it possible to take a 17-22 foot sailboat from normal use in a lake to off the east coast in either savannah or myrtle beach without having to change anything on the boat? Not long voyages but just day cruising in the ocean say if on vacation
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Is it possible?

Why not! You will want to rinse down with fresh water when your done.....Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-21-2013

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road

I see no reason why you couldn't, as long as you check the weather and marine forecast in the area.
Old 02-21-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road

Shouldn't be a problem for the boat, as long as the weather is ok. Be sure that you know what you are doing and how to deal with tides and streams. Have the appropriate safety gear. Know your rules of the road and understand the charts of the areas you are planning to sail. A boat is always as good as her skipper. Learned it the hard way myself when I first took our boat out to the coast off Scotland
Old 02-21-2013
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

17-22ft is plenty ive taken a 16ft racing sailboat into the ocean you just need to know how to deal with stuff when it comes like wind pickes up reef, or start dropping sail. Something breaks know how to fix it. And have extra rope for problems that can come up sailing in ocean, bays. ive never sailed fresh water but on the windy days freshwater ponds usally look calmer then the bays and ocean. don't be scared to take it out of the lake into the real world.
bljones likes this.
Old 02-21-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

I sail my 22 footer in the Gulf. Things to be aware of- (in my case)

When swell approaches 5-7 feet it is very hard to beat into the wind against the swell. I have watched the same point on land for hours at a time, basically doing all I could do just to avoid going backwards. The boat rides fine in those conditions, I just can't get anywhere. Tacking becomes difficult because the swell stalls the boat. You have to look for your opportunities and use the swells / troughs to your advantage. There have been times when I gave up tacking after five or more failed attempts, and my solution was to jibe 270 degrees because I could not get the boat to tack.

How big is your outboard? I have a little Nissan 5HP. Lovely little motor. But it doesn't have enough power to combat wind and swell. In smooth water she'll push the boat to hull speed, but against opposing swell and wind? I get about 2knots. It works okay as a kicker when I'm sailing against opposed wind/seas as mentioned above and allows me to get some little bit of headway. The problem is that if the seas are too steep the prop keeps coming out of the water and the engine wants to over-rev. I have to throttle down, then bring her back up to speed. That's fine when you are sitting on the motor side, but when the Stbd side is the high side it's a PITA to get to the other side of the tiller to get the outboard under control, all while the boat is trying to toss you over the transom, LOL.

5 ft swell and 20kt winds are pushing it for my boat. Sailing becomes more work than fun at that point, but the boat is never in danger. It's just tiring for me- because no matter where I am going I swear the wind is against me. I don't have a roller furler, so my biggest pain is that I often have too much jib up when conditions such as above find me. I added downhauls to the jib and the main, so I can pull the jib down and sail under a reefed main when I'm way overpowered. I'm almost always singlehanded, so "The best I can do right now" is often my only choice.
bljones likes this.

Last edited by ShoalFinder; 02-21-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-21-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Only 2 things I might consider would be

changing the A/F to a seawater type

Making sure I had enough anchoring capability both size and scope.

Otherwise go for it.
Old 02-21-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

You may need to change the type of zincs you use, assuming the boat uses zincs.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 02-21-2013

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road

I have sailed a Sea Eagle Sailcat 14 from Long Beach, MS to Cat Island, MS in the gulf last year with a friend. Great day, nice weather, no problems and it was a straight shot. In fact we had about 10kt winds but wanted a bit more to make better timing. I have a video of this trip. It is only about 7nm south of Long Beach but that is a good ways out in the gulf for a boat like the Sailcat. Not once did we feel unsafe out there and we were steaming right along. We want to sail that same boat to Horn Island sometime within the next couple months. We are picky with the weather though, ideally we want a nice all day forecast with 10 to 15kt winds.

@ShoalFinder I ran a Nissan 9.8 longshaft on my Oday 22 and that would push my boat into anything. Although without sails and a chop, it could be a rough ride. Motor sailing with just a main was no problem.

Last edited by sailguy40; 02-21-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

I want a 9.8 longshaft badly, for exactly the reason you stated. I keep calling folks when I see the ads, but they get snapped up before I get to them. I know I'll get lucky sooner or later. I can't say enough good things about the Nissan 5. I just wish it was bigger.