Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

In answer to your question, Kriscross, we have the "stock" water tank in the Catalina 27 of about 10 gallons (yikes, way way small).

Years ago, the PO removed the inboard motor. All of the motor mount rails, etc. are still in place. And it's kind of a crappy space for storage anyway. I mounted a 35 gallon plastic barrel in that space - basically right on the motor mount rails. Because it's located on the rails, it's just slightly higher than the regular tank, so I can use this to periodcally re-fill the regular tank - via a simple shutoff valve. It's also connected to a deck fitting for 1) filling with a hose at a marina, or 2) rainwater collection.

I like this much better than jerry cans on deck because it's out of the way (obviously), but it keeps the center of gravity very low too.

mark

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Thanks, that is interesting. Soverel 28 has a really low ballast to displacement ratio (under 20%), one I would never consider safe enough for open sea crossing. Have you ever run into rough weather in that boat? How did it do?
Oh jeez, I've been in gales in the Yucatan Channel opposing the stream . I've hove to in 15 footers stacked for 3 day's at a time. 8 foot draft board down and a bunch lead pigs in My bildge. I love the little boat. Taking it to Honduras non stop in May weather or not. I did a way with the spade rudder and put a Barn door on the transom.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 02-27-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Oh jeez, I've been in gales in the Yucatan Channel opposing the stream . I've hove to in 15 footers stacked for 3 day's at a time. 8 foot draft board down and a bunch lead pigs in My bildge. I love the little boat. Taking it to Honduras non stop in May weather or not. I did a way with the spade rudder and put a Barn door on the transom.
Wow... that is pretty awesome... is your board actually heavy, or simply provides more lateral stability under those condition? Adding ballast to the bilge is a neat trick right out of old school ways. Have to keep that in mind. I take it you cast those lead pigs yourself to get the right size and shape?
Old 02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratzcpa View Post
Years ago, the PO removed the inboard motor. All of the motor mount rails, etc. are still in place. And it's kind of a crappy space for storage anyway. I mounted a 35 gallon plastic barrel in that space - basically right on the motor mount rails. Because it's located on the rails, it's just slightly higher than the regular tank, so I can use this to periodcally re-fill the regular tank - via a simple shutoff valve. It's also connected to a deck fitting for 1) filling with a hose at a marina, or 2) rainwater collection.
Yes, that arrangement makes perfect sense. So do you use an outboard now? What is your take on the practicality of an outboard on a boat originally designed for an inboard engine?
Old 02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I had a Paceship 29 with a swing keel. Very good boat, shallow draft, and cheap to purchase. With only 2 people aboard...plenty of space. Good luck on your adventure!
Oh yes, that was a kicka$$ C&C design, solid as a rock. Would definitely consider it.
Old 03-03-2013

What do you guys think about this Cape Dory 26 on ebay:
CAPE DORY 26 SLOOP , 1985 in Sailboats | eBay Motors
Old 03-03-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
from the pictures, it looks like a really nice, clean, well maintained boat. Looks like it would be worth a look.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 03-03-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You should direct specific questions on the CD26 to the CDSOA, they are a great resource.

I'd be more inclined to purchase a CD26 over a CD25, mostly because it's an Alberg design and I really like the interior layout.

Keep in mind, you could probably get a 27, 28, or 30 for that kind of $$, though. I'd go aboard them all, see which you prefer. I'd think long and hard about looking for a CD30 with that kind of $$ though.
krisscross likes this.
Old 03-03-2013

hamburking is on a distinguished road

The Cape Dory 26 on ebay looks excellent. I agree with the owner regarding the outboard. Honda outboards are great. However, you won't get the range of a diesel, or the battery charge. And you've got gasoline right next to your hot engine...yikes!

The Carl Albert Designed Cape Dory is an excellent boat...extremely rugged, built to take anything, and beautifully finished. The full keel design is meant for the ocean.

HOWEVER...this is a pretty small boat for that kind of money. For example, there is an O'Day 30 on ebay for $5k, with an inboard yanmar. Do you want to have a boat thats already done up, or some good bones and add your own equipment?

IMHO, in this economy, the cape dory is way overpriced for an older boat. And although I had a honda on the back of my C&C25 for years, I was pretty happy to get an inboard diesel on my current Pearson 30. FYI, my pearson30 has a good diesel, all new standing rigging, chart plotter, new sails, etc...and cost a small fraction of the Cape Dory on ebay. Also, florida is the place where boats are really really cheap (its the bottom of the hill, so to speak).

So, YES, you would be very happy with the cape dory, provided you are alone or are extremely friendly with your crew. No way around it...its a small boat. But if money is a concern...keep looking.
krisscross likes this.
Old 03-04-2013

Good posts... thanks guys!
Since most likely I will be sailing solo, I have to keep that in mind as well... small is beautiful when you are alone. I'm used to camping in my 20 foot Mirage, on top of a layer of gear and supplies. Money is definitely an issue but I want a solid boat that is already in good shape when it comes to all the important components - it costs way too much money to re-do all of them. Much cheaper to buy a boat that already has what you need.
This boat caught my eye because it is on a trailer and I can store it at home inland until I'm ready for the big trip (in about 2 years).

Another question:
Would you think this CD26 is safe enough for the Mona Passage and a Caribbean cruise all the way? This is stage 2 of my long term plans.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.