Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

if that boat is half the condition is looks to be in... it will easily take you to the bahamas and back. Alberg designed some wonderful boats that are slow and "wet" by today's standards, but were meant to be sea kindly out in the open ocean.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I'd go for it. See if you can coordinate to see it in person. Even though it's listed on ebay, you may be able to negotiate price and get a couple grand off.
krisscross likes this.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 03-04-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I'd go for it. See if you can coordinate to see it in person. Even though it's listed on ebay, you may be able to negotiate price and get a couple grand off.
That would be the plan if I decided to go for it at this time.
A while back on ebay there was this really nice Contest 31 for sale for under 10 grand. I was SO tempted to buy it, but I felt it would have been a premature move on my part. That boat did not sell at that auction (no bids) and I'm hoping it will surface again. I love that design because it is so seaworthy and still has a moderate draft (4.6').
Old 03-04-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Good posts... thanks guys!
Since most likely I will be sailing solo, I have to keep that in mind as well... small is beautiful when you are alone. I'm used to camping in my 20 foot Mirage, on top of a layer of gear and supplies. Money is definitely an issue but I want a solid boat that is already in good shape when it comes to all the important components - it costs way too much money to re-do all of them. Much cheaper to buy a boat that already has what you need.
This boat caught my eye because it is on a trailer and I can store it at home inland until I'm ready for the big trip (in about 2 years).

Another question:
Would you think this CD26 is safe enough for the Mona Passage and a Caribbean cruise all the way? This is stage 2 of my long term plans.
I think just about any of the Cape Dory boats will take you anywhere you want to go. Our 27 has been at least as far as the BVIs and has made the Mona Passage, but she was at the hands of someone that was very experienced. Now she's in the hands of a few morons :P Any of the Cape Dory boats are capable, it's more a matter of your skill. You can search the CDSOA boards and find people that have made fairly significant passages in almost all the boats.

As for this 26, I'd feel rotten buying her in the shape she's in and letting her sit in the back yard for 2 years. That seems like a real shame, considering she's ready to sail as is. I know you said you didn't want a project, but why not spend less on the acquisition and outfit her the way you want across the 2 year period? It seems like a shame to take a seaworthy and ready boat out of the water for 2 years to sit, especially for that kind of $$. You may end up shelling out a little more $$ to fixup the project, but provided it's nothing serious, I doubt you'd be investing a lot more. Our CD27 has definitely been a project and we've paid more to get her up to shape than we could have if we bought one already in good condition, but we learned a LOT about the boat, have all new components in her, and know just about everything backwards and forwards about her components. I spent more doing it, but the experience was worth it. The benefit of this will probably vary on your experience level, though. I just hate to see a boat like that sitting

Given your requirements, I'd seriously consider a Flicka 20 as well, especially if it's just you.
krisscross likes this.

Last edited by Shinook; 03-04-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
I know you said you didn't want a project, but why not spend less on the acquisition and outfit her the way you want across the 2 year period?
I thought about it. It would have to be a boat on a trailer as I live 3 hours from the coast. I would want to keep it at home where I can work on it without travel.
I considered Flicka 20 but it is a very slow boat that tends to be very expensive.
Old 03-04-2013

Quote:
I thought about it. It would have to be a boat on a trailer as I live 3 hours from the coast. I would want to keep it at home where I can work on it without travel.
I considered Flicka 20 but it is a very slow boat that tends to be very expensive.
I hear you on the Flicka, I've been watching for a project Flicka for a few months now and had nothing interesting come up. There is one with a rebuilt cockpit, but that's a little too "project" for me :P I've always been enamored by them.

As for keeping it in your yard, how much space do you have? Does it have to be a trailer or can you have it shipped and put on blocks? If it's gonna be in the yard for 2 years, you can spread the expense out and it'd probably be cheaper than having a trailer. Just a thought.
davidryan8100 likes this.
Old 03-04-2013

I have plenty of space in my yard, but trucking it in would be both expensive and tricky (hard to offload from an 18-wheeler). I could have it dropped in my neighbor's yard which has a much better access but I would hate to impose on him like that for so long.
Old 03-04-2013

As to 'project' boats... a friend of mine got burned really bad on a boat like that. After he was done he ended up spending 3 times as much as what a similar boat would cost, not counting hundreds upon hundreds of hours he put into it himself. I don't want to make the same mistake. I would prefer to just add stuff I'm going to need anyway, like extra water storage and wind vane steering that most boats on my list just don't have.
Old 03-04-2013

Quote:
As to 'project' boats... a friend of mine got burned really bad on a boat like that. After he was done he ended up spending 3 times as much as what a similar boat would cost, not counting hundreds upon hundreds of hours he put into it himself. I don't want to make the same mistake. I would prefer to just add stuff I'm going to need anyway, like extra water storage and wind vane steering that most boats on my list just don't have.
You'll pay more in the long run, but the way I see it, I'm getting a lot of experience and intimate knowledge of those systems that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Also, consider that most of the components on our boat (a 1977) are over 35 years old at this point. I really don't want 35 year old wire and tubing going through something that I'm gonna be sleeping on, so the fact those systems needed stripped out and replaced with new didn't bother me. In other words, sure you'll pay more to finish it, but everything will be new vs very aged. It's worth pointing out on this note that Cape Dory did a horrible job with wiring, it's one of the few areas the boats needed to be rethought. Our wiring was a disaster and stripping it out was a chore, but one I'm glad that I did.

That was our way of thinking, some people may disagree, but that's how we view it. It's all a matter of perspective and opinion. On boats this size, you aren't talking about an extreme expense with most systems anyway, as you get larger I can see the costs racking up.

I should point out that I'm not trying to convert you to our way of thinking, it's perfectly reasonable to not want a project. They are a lot of time and investment, but I chose to do it for various personal reasons, two of which I've mentioned already, but also that there are some things I don't want to leave to someone else to do, wiring being a big one. I like being involved and doing things myself as much as possible, so the work doesn't really bother me.

Quote:
I have plenty of space in my yard, but trucking it in would be both expensive and tricky (hard to offload from an 18-wheeler). I could have it dropped in my neighbor's yard which has a much better access but I would hate to impose on him like that for so long.
Will the cost of shipping and blocking exceed that of a trailer? I don't know, but worth considering.

Last edited by Shinook; 03-04-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
You'll pay more in the long run, but the way I see it, I'm getting a lot of experience and intimate knowledge of those systems that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Also, consider that most of the components on our boat (a 1977) are over 35 years old at this point. I really don't want 35 year old wire and tubing going through something that I'm gonna be sleeping on, so the fact those systems needed stripped out and replaced with new didn't bother me. In other words, sure you'll pay more to finish it, but everything will be new vs very aged.
I agree. If it was all old stuff (like wiring) I would want it replaced, but most decent boats that age went through all the likely upgrades and renovations. I don't mind spending money to get the boat in good shape, I just want to do it wisely (as if buying a sailboat had anything to do with spending money wisely).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.