Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013

juke2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

Watkins 27....im currently writing this from Long Island Bahamas....this is my second trip from delaware to bahamas on this boat...solid build, plenty of room with a 10ft beam, inboard yanmar 2qm15, 3'8" draft, usually see 5-6kts under sail in 10-15kt winds...anymore info check out our blog,Great Mysterious

Bought a Watkins 27 last fall, and have been following the Great Mysterious blog since. Great writing, great pictures. (What did happen when the GM went offshore in Georgia, though?)

The boat I purchased had been well-maintained and pretty much similarly equipped to GM (Yanmar 2GM; roller jib; autopilot; pedestal; radar & sonar; newer full-battened main; hot/cold; electric fridge; inverter; shore hook-ups; new cushions and dodger; etc) and I kind of fell into it for under $5k, including tax and fees. (Unlike the GM though, no Why-Not davits or bimini top - where did the GM get hers?)

For the money, the Watkins seem pretty sturdy but particularly unloved by the market.

Now, for those looking for other Bahamas-worthy offerings:

I got mine at a Mass Maritime auction, which is a hit-or-miss thing. The twice-a-year auction usually has a lot of interesting boats. Last auction there were several asking-six-figure 50-foot-plus boats they parked in Marion harbor for the event, and apparently sold. Current inventory listing is here: maritime.edu/apps/boats/ (since I'm new the forum won't allow live links on this post)-- but it will expand substantially as the spring auction date approaches. The listed prices are just their 'blue book/suggested retail' and for the auction there is an unpublished 'reserve' somewhere below these numbers.

The current listings that do not have asterisks are those that failed to sell at the last auction - the unpublished reserves were not met - and those boats are still lingering since last Fall (i.e., make an offer).

If nothing else, it's an interesting list to follow from time to time. Plus, the proceeds go to a good cause.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I have plenty of space in my yard, but trucking it in would be both expensive and tricky (hard to offload from an 18-wheeler). I could have it dropped in my neighbor's yard which has a much better access but I would hate to impose on him like that for so long.
You might want to check with boat transport services before you jump to conclusions. There are hydraulic trailers that can back under a boat, pick it up, and drive down the interstate, and then drop it off in your yard. You supply the jack stands/cradle.

Our boat yard uses such a trailer to pick up a boat at the travelift and then shoe horn it in the yard for winter storage in places a travelift wouldn't fit.

It may not be as expensive as you think to have it delivered to you. Otherwise, you'd need your own trailer and may need to hire a suitable tow vehicle to haul it. When you go off on your adventure, you would likely have to pay to store the trailer or sell it.
krisscross likes this.
Old 03-04-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
You might want to check with boat transport services before you jump to conclusions.
Good advice, thank you. I will look into that. I have passed up a couple of really good buys because I was worried about the transportation/storage costs. I have a full size truck that can pull a substantial load so I was mainly looking at the trailer option.

Last edited by krisscross; 03-04-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Good advice, thank you. I will look into that. I have passed up a couple of really good buys because I was worried about the transportation/storage costs. I have a full size truck that can pull a substantial load so I was mainly looking at the trailer option.
I looked at having a few 30 footers transported to us from as far as NC (we are in FL), the cost wasn't that ridiculous. I don't recall exact figures, but we were on a tight budget and I was seriously considering it if the right deal came along.
Old 03-21-2013

champlain94 is on a distinguished road
Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

ALBERG 30. Drafts 4.25 empty. Very safe boat. You can get them for less then $10,000 with a good running yanmar or westerbeke. Not a very wide beam or high freeboard but that helps with its seaworthiness.
Old 04-04-2013

I am pretty much set on a Westerly Centaur - 26 feet and twin keel
CENTAUR 26 (WESTERLY) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
What are the things to watch for when buying this particular boat?
Your comments are always deeply appreciated. I have learned a lot here.
Thanks!
Kris
Old 04-04-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am pretty much set on a Westerly Centaur - 26 feet and twin keel
CENTAUR 26 (WESTERLY) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
What are the things to watch for when buying this particular boat?
Your comments are always deeply appreciated. I have learned a lot here.
Thanks!
Kris
Read a Voayge for Madmen. The Westerlys started out all right on the Atlantic long way's crossing, but showed where they needed to be beefed up a month in to getting beat up out there. Any Glass production boat can use some beefing IMOP. I added a lot of of epoxy and Glass to my 1965 Soverel and I'm not done yet.
krisscross likes this.
Old 04-04-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

I just sold a Bristol 27 that other than bottom paint was ready to go. atom bomb, 130 on harkin roller, typical b27 main sheet arrangement, whisker pole, recent standing rigging, servicable to new running rigging, anchors, rodes, fenders, dock lines, blah blah blah- 4500.

that was a pretty sweet bahamas boat- 4 foot draft, nice low freeboard= way fun and easy to swim/dive from. TONS of storage space, great for a couple with the dinnette, not as great for a couple of buddies or a couple with a kid. there isn't a boat made with an icebox that is suitable for the bahamas, ice is too expensive to justify unless there is fresh fish to keep for a few days. so you may want a fridge.

I met a french canuck guy and his wife in a pretty awesome centaur, really well done remodel inside, made for a far bigger boat on the inside than my B27- I have no idea about the stock ones however, interior. I don't like the cockpit in the westerly as well as some others, the combings really. same on the Albin Vega and the Contessa, it seems to enclose you abit more, and you lose some of the advantages of the easy access afforded by the lowfreeboard.

Tartan 27 with its shoal draft, Keel/ CB arrangement would be about perfect too.

My new pearson Renegade is getting towards 4'6" draft, which is as deep a boat as I want there. and doesn't have the storage space of the Bristol 27, it also accelerates a bit quicker, and tacks easier- especially with a dink in tow- which you will tow it occasionally even if you swear you never will...
Old 04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Read a Voayge for Madmen. The Westerlys started out all right on the Atlantic long way's crossing, but showed where they needed to be beefed up a month in to getting beat up out there. Any Glass production boat can use some beefing IMOP. I added a lot of of epoxy and Glass to my 1965 Soverel and I'm not done yet.
I really appreciate all your comments Capt.aaron. Your approach to sailing truly resonates with me. Simplicity, grit, and guts.
Old 04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
My new pearson Renegade is getting towards 4'6" draft, which is as deep a boat as I want there. and doesn't have the storage space of the Bristol 27, it also accelerates a bit quicker, and tacks easier- especially with a dink in tow- which you will tow it occasionally even if you swear you never will...
Speaking of dinks...
Has anybody seen a set up where a light dink is stored on a special rig over the cockpit? I know, it is a lot of weight hanging over your noggin, but it is so tempting to try...