Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas? - Page 14 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree27Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #131  
Old 04-04-2013
krisscross's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 1,365
Thanks: 22
Thanked 72 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 2
krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Yeah, I'm a Huckleberry fin sailor myself, him and jethro, I find a nice piece if 3/8 line makes a handy belt with a 100 and one uses.
Huck was a big inspiration for my early river adventures
Have you read the book Papillon? That guy had some incredible sea adventures. Some question whether they were really his, but I believe him. The power of human spirit is incredible.
Capt.aaron likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #132  
Old 04-04-2013
Capt.aaron's Avatar
KNOT KNOWN
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Huck was a big inspiration for my early river adventures
Have you read the book Papillon? That guy had some incredible sea adventures. Some question whether they were really his, but I believe him. The power of human spirit is incredible.
I saw the movie. I remember him making it to land on a bundle of coconuts.
__________________
" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #133  
Old 04-05-2013
krisscross's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 1,365
Thanks: 22
Thanked 72 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 2
krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I saw the movie. I remember him making it to land on a bundle of coconuts.
The book is at least 10 times better and includes a detailed account of his incredible life with the Venezuelan Indians. The movie changed that part as well. In the book he left the Indian village because he wanted to go back to civilization - something he later came to bitterly regret for the rest of his life.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #134  
Old 04-05-2013
Capt.aaron's Avatar
KNOT KNOWN
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
The book is at least 10 times better and includes a detailed account of his incredible life with the Venezuelan Indians. The movie changed that part as well. In the book he left the Indian village because he wanted to go back to civilization - something he later came to bitterly regret for the rest of his life.
20 years ago when I was working in Belize, and old fishing guide recalled Papillion Himself had passed through the area back in the 60's.
__________________
" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-05-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #135  
Old 04-05-2013
krisscross's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 1,365
Thanks: 22
Thanked 72 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 2
krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
20 years ago when I was working in Belize, and old fishing guide recalled Papillion Himself had passed through the ares back in the 60's.
Wow... that is pretty awesome...
Despite all the development in the coastal areas in Central America and Caribbean, there are still many fantastic and wild places there. I hope to see them some day before I kick the bucket...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #136  
Old 04-05-2013
Capt.aaron's Avatar
KNOT KNOWN
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

Back to the topic, I just read on the Mantus anchor thread that some dude is sailing around the Bahamas on a 12 foot boat.
__________________
" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #137  
Old 04-05-2013
Jeff_H's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Annapolis, Md
Posts: 6,445
Thanks: 3
Thanked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I am pretty much set on a Westerly Centaur - 26 feet and twin keel
CENTAUR 26 (WESTERLY) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
What are the things to watch for when buying this particular boat?
Your comments are always deeply appreciated. I have learned a lot here.
Thanks!
Kris
Hopefully, someone can talk you out of the Westerly. I used to teach sailing on Westerlies of this era and they were really crumby boats. They did not sail well, especially in the kind of chop that the Bahamas and Gulf Stream are notorious for. They had cheesy hardware and were not very well constructed and so needed to be pieced back together with a fair degree of regularity at least as compared to the one Pearson that was in the fleet. The bilge keel version of that boat was terribly difficult to free when it was run aground. I know the English love these boats, but there are much better choices out there for the dollar.

Respectfully,
Jeff
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #138  
Old 04-05-2013
Capt.aaron's Avatar
KNOT KNOWN
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

Yeah, I remember my buddy's, it would bob up and down instead go forward.
__________________
" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #139  
Old 04-05-2013
krisscross's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 1,365
Thanks: 22
Thanked 72 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 2
krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Hopefully, someone can talk you out of the Westerly. I used to teach sailing on Westerlies of this era and they were really crumby boats. They did not sail well, especially in the kind of chop that the Bahamas and Gulf Stream are notorious for. They had cheesy hardware and were not very well constructed and so needed to be pieced back together with a fair degree of regularity at least as compared to the one Pearson that was in the fleet. The bilge keel version of that boat was terribly difficult to free when it was run aground. I know the English love these boats, but there are much better choices out there for the dollar.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Your input is much appreciated, Jeff... even if it bursts my bubble... In theory and on paper a lot of stuff looks good, but it takes people with direct experience to make a proper evaluation... I guess I'm back to my original group, like the Cape Dory 25D to CD28, Bristol 27 or one of the larger Bristol centerboarders...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #140  
Old 04-05-2013
Capt.aaron's Avatar
KNOT KNOWN
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

I don't think you can go wrong with a bristol centerboarder. An old flush deck Cal 29 is a good one to, roomy below.
__________________
" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting a small boat to the bahamas Frogwatch General Discussion (sailing related) 4 05-20-2011 01:00 PM
Best Small Boat For Cruising the ICW ? ATWJMU88 General Discussion (sailing related) 4 11-29-2010 09:25 PM
your favorite small cruising (blue water) boat AmeriCdn Boat Review and Purchase Forum 46 08-19-2007 11:54 AM
Small Boat Cruising David Schaefer Cruising Articles 0 06-09-2004 08:00 PM
Bahamas cruising in a small boat KPBaker Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 15 12-31-2001 01:05 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012