Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Back to the topic, I just read on the Mantus anchor thread that some dude is sailing around the Bahamas on a 12 foot boat.
Yea... I looked at the pictures of similar micro-cruisers and it made me reflect on some parts of my anatomy...
mountaintrout likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

If I had to put together a list of boats to the Bahamas on a very tight budget, my first choice for the title "best (small and inexpensive) boat to cruise the Bahamas" would be a Tartan 27.

Other than that, off the top of my head, I would consider centerboard versions of boats like the 1960's Morgan 24-25, Morgan Tigercub 28 (somewhat rare but I saw one recently listed on Yachtworld), The far less desirable Morgan 28, the Dolphin 24, the Halsey Herreshoff designed Bristol 26, Seafarer Polaris 26 or the similar Sailmaster 26.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
If I had to put together a list of boats to the Bahamas on a very tight budget, my first choice for the title "best (small and inexpensive) boat to cruise the Bahamas" would be a Tartan 27.

Other than that, off the top of my head, I would consider centerboard versions of boats like the 1960's Morgan 24-25, Morgan Tigercub 28 (somewhat rare but I saw one recently listed on Yachtworld), The far less desirable Morgan 28, the Dolphin 24, the Halsey Herreshoff designed Bristol 26, Seafarer Polaris 26 or the similar Sailmaster 26.
Yes, T27 is on my list as well, and there are many of them available.
Interesting that you are not including the Cape Dory boats... reasons?
Why is Morgan 28 far less desirable than M24/25?
What is your take on Bristol 29.9 and 32 - both CB versions - for Bahama cruising? They are harder to fit into my price range but are rather tempting.
Old 04-05-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

More to the point what makes the tigercub superior than the 28? I don't know much abou it- other than its "got the look". I've go a line on a m28 that I might get to work on and flip.
Old 04-05-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

To respond to some of the questions above....
I have generally not been a fan of the Cape Dories. I don't like the way they sail. They generally are not well rounded designs. They tend to be undercanvased and not stand up to the sail area that they have. I don't like their motion which tends to be rolly and in the case of the Alberg designs, with their silly short waterlines, pitch and not deal well with chop, or carrying excess weight.

The Morgan 28 was more full ended than the Tigercub, and had a deck plan that I never liked on a boat this size. The wedge forward broke up the deck and did not produce as much useful headroom as a trunk cabin. I have not sailed these boats but they supposedly were the basis for the Morgan IO 28 which I have sailed and don't think much of.

I am not a fan of either the Bristol 32 or 29.9. On the broad spectrum between really great design and next to useless and ill-conceived, the Bristol 32 falls very close to the useless end of the spectrum in my mind. The Pearson Vanguard was a much better boat all around and it wasn't that great a boat.

While I know there are folks who really love their 29.9's, I never thought they were a very good design compared to Halsey Herreschoff's other designs for Bristol. I particularly liked his 33/34.

Another boat for your list might be the Irwin 28. And if you find one at a price you can afford, the C&C Corvette 30 was a very nice design. One of my favorites from that time.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 04-05-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

What about a redwing. But for the dinette/galley port starboard thing- they are intriguing. But I can't deal with that interior- unless it has a quarter berth that works as seating too.

That's a pretty slow 30 footer too. I think I would prefer a pearson 30.

My bristol 27 was great- in 15 knots with the genoa rolled up to about 100%. But it didn't go well enough in light air- though it was fun flying the asym- and was just too tender to accelerate in big air. But for all that- and having to backwind the jib to tack- it was a lot of fun to sail- and you can sail her pretty fearlessly if you don't get her overpowered. Part of the fun was the balancing act. I know that sounds like many qualifiers.
Old 04-06-2013

Thanks for the input, Jeff. The C&C Corvette does look like a great boat for my purpose, but they are hard to find and some have their CB glassed over, which is a shame IMO.
Old 04-06-2013

To me comparing the Redwing to the Corvette is a great case study of how a racing rule can alter the shape of a boat in ways which are detrimental to the sailing characteristics of the boat since they were designed by the same designers only a couple years apart. The Redwing was designed primarily as a CCA racer which like most CCA boats also mean a good coastal cruiser. The Corvette was designed as good coastal cruiser and was closer in design to the MORC boats of that era. The Redwind was much more tender and had a proportionately shorter waterline as well.

This meant that the Corvette was a much more well rounded design being able to carry its sail area more comfortably, and deal with shifting conditions. The Corvette was simply more forgiving and so was a much better boat for cruising. They are actually faster than the Redwing, and with their centerboards are able to be balanced so they have a lighter helm. The Redwing tends to be a little more rolly than the Corvette, and sort of flops through the center of the roll, fetching up as it builds stability as the topsides enter the water. It's not as bad as some from this era, but the Corvette has a much nicer motion all around. Also the Corvette should tolerate carrying more 'stuff'.

Jeff

Old 04-06-2013

BTW I would not want a Corvette which had the board glassed over. The board is a super feature allowing great upwind ability, plus the ability to balance the helm which I think is a super asset to a shorthanded.

One other thought here: If you made up your mind that you would be willing to live with the fixed keel depth of a Pearson 30 or Redwing 30, there is no doubt in my mind that I would not look at either. In that general price, size and draft range, I would focus on the Tartan 30, which was a far superior boat to either of these in all ways that I can think of.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-06-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-06-2013

okawbow is on a distinguished road

I've sailed the Bristol 24 with inboard diesel, a few thousand miles. I did a single handed 140 mile Gulf of Mexico crossing, averaging 5 knots in 10 -20 knot winds without leaving my dinner over the side. The specs and sailing qualities are comparable to the Dana 25 and 25D Cape Dory, at far less cost. I was able to singlehandedly get ungrounded a few times without any damage. The Corsair sails well with good sails and set-up. I've won several hare and hound races with mine. The draft is 3'5". The ballast on my 1976 model with inboard is 3000# solid lead. Many of the early and some of the later ones had concrete and steel ballast. Look for one with a 10"-12" deep bilge for lead ballast. If the bilge is only 2" or so, it has concrete.

If you can find one with lead ballast and inboard in good shape, you usually can buy it for well under $10,000.
krisscross likes this.

Chuck
Privateer 26 Schooner

Last edited by okawbow; 04-06-2013 at 01:39 PM.