Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

Thanks for the tips, Shinook. I tend to agree that CD25 is a rather seaworthy design. I see them on Pamlico Sound quite often. The biggest complain I hear from their owners is space. I have at least 2 years to make up my mind, find, and prepare my boat for this trip. But looking for a good deal is always easier when you know exactly what to look for. CD28 is a sweet boat, but they are hard to find in a decent shape and with the right gear in my price range.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2013

I don't mind doing the regular maintenance/repair work, but some repairs and gear cost a lot of money, like engine work or bimini. Usually it seems cheaper to find a boat that already has the stuff you need in decent condition then to add it yourself.
Old 02-22-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Thanks for the tips, Shinook. I tend to agree that CD25 is a rather seaworthy design. I see them on Pamlico Sound quite often. The biggest complain I hear from their owners is space. I have at least 2 years to make up my mind, find, and prepare my boat for this trip. But looking for a good deal is always easier when you know exactly what to look for. CD28 is a sweet boat, but they are hard to find in a decent shape and with the right gear in my price range.
Keep an eye out, watch Craigslist via searchtempest.com, along with ebay and the CDSOA site. Good deals show up, they usually don't last long, though. The biggest problem you'll have is finding one in your area, in my experience anyway. I've seen more than a few nice looking (pictures, anyway) 27s and 28s going for well below your price range just in FL.

They do pop up on the NC coast, though. Just not as frequently as further north or in FL. Just be patient, if it's what you really want.
Old 02-22-2013

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

We chartered a 37' Tayana Cutter in Abaco taking ASA lessons in 2009 and had a great time, that size was a pleasure to sail down there given the trade winds we usually had. Our dream is to cruise full time one day, if this happens it will probably require us to make one more move and buy a multi-hull. Multi's just seem the way to go down there, being cheap and long distance sailing might place one in a bad position, almost everytime I cheap out I end up regretting it and actually spend more correcting my initial move, your experience may differ. Last year when we were in Eleuthera we saw a large (40+) sailboat with a broken mast being towed in, I often wonder what the story was behind that.

BTW my avitar is me sailing that Tayana in the Sea Of Abaco...
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.

Last edited by swampcreek; 02-22-2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: add content
Old 02-22-2013

Another question specific to cruising in the Bahamas. Does it make a big difference if the boat draws 3.5 or 4 feet? Does it make finding good anchorage that much easier? I have heard something to that effect once or twice from sailors on bigger boats.
Old 02-22-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcreek View Post
Last year when we were in Eleuthera we saw a large (40+) sailboat with a broken mast being towed in, I often wonder what the story was behind that.
Probably nothing to do with the price of the boat...
Old 02-22-2013

Interesting point, Swampcreek... yeah, I had to make a few expensive corrections to my 'cheap' moves, but most of the time they tend to work just fine. And I really don't have the money for those big boats, nor experience to sail them safely by myself when the weather turns ugly. My planned trip to Bahamas is a prelude to possibly a retirement on a boat in a few more years, but I realize that my 'ultimate' boat may be different than the boat I'm thinking about now.
Old 02-22-2013

utchuckd is on a distinguished road

Browse thru this list:

Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

Most are full or modified keel, which in general will be shallower draft.

You'll get different responses on the twin keel, but I looked at a Centaur and may have pulled the trigger but they already had a deal in the works. Personally I like the concept in skinny water, shallow draft, pull it up close to shore and 'beach it' if you want. They can be found for a lot better money than a lot of pocket cruisers (generalization based on age, condition, etc).
Old 02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
I own the best small boat for cruising the Bahamas. A 1981 8.5 meter (28') S2 with shoal draft of 3'10". Original 7 hp 1GM Yanmar replaced with a 13 hp 2GM.
Internal ballast so when (not if) you hit bottom you never have to worry about keel bolts. She has all controls led to cockpit and I have single handed her a lot. Old enough that if she somehow gets destroyed, it isn't a significant loss.
I remember looking at one of those - seemed like a really solid boat. Any concerns regarding the rather exposed spade rudder?
Old 02-22-2013

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Interesting point, Swampcreek... yeah, I had to make a few expensive corrections to my 'cheap' moves, but most of the time they tend to work just fine. And I really don't have the money for those big boats, nor experience to sail them safely by myself when the weather turns ugly. My planned trip to Bahamas is a prelude to possibly a retirement on a boat in a few more years, but I realize that my 'ultimate' boat may be different than the boat I'm thinking about now.
We have 11 or 12 years to decide...unless we hit the lottery which we rarely play or society breaks down and we have to make a run for it.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.