Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Best small boat for cruising the Bahamas?

everyone here needs to watch that "Hold Fast" documentary again. Bahamas can be tricky at times...especially if anchoring out, but the reason people need beefily built bluewater capable boats that are being recommended above are for long passages well out of weather forecast range. Situations where you can be caught in a gale for days.

But if you're poking around Abacos, Biminis, Berrys, Exumas...near any boat in good condition is fine.
Old 02-24-2013

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road

I am still debating if a Hunter 33 would be good for a trip from New Orleans to Bahamas. It has a 10,600 lb displacement and I also wonder if the 5.3" draft is a bit too much for the Bahama shallows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2013

Dolby is on a distinguished road

Watkins 27....im currently writing this from Long Island Bahamas....this is my second trip from delaware to bahamas on this boat...solid build, plenty of room with a 10ft beam, inboard yanmar 2qm15, 3'8" draft, usually see 5-6kts under sail in 10-15kt winds...anymore info check out our blog, Great Mysterious feel free to email
juke2 likes this.
Old 02-24-2013

TheLostGirlsMom is on a distinguished road

We have a Westerly Centaur and are planning a cruise to the Bahamas in 2015. This year we are currently adding the solar, fridge, and canvas. It's a great little boat which is meant for rough seas and the bilge keel is the best! We love dropping anchor and letting the tide go out while we are resting on our keels. Makes bottom cleaning quite easy
utchuckd likes this.
Old 02-24-2013

Dolby is on a distinguished road

@nightowl....I did go back and watch that documentary this evening.....Long island breeze has excellent internet.....those four were unconventional, dangerous, and some damn good learners....me being about there age, and out here on a 27', i would not go without gps...they show it can be done, BUT WHY???? They were lucky....period....i mean we sail on and off anchor....but FOUR anchors???? one will do if you know what you're doing...that doc does not really show bahamas sailing, especially if you WATCH the weather.... and for being a bunch of hippies, they were not too "green" ....all things considered it can be done...take that documentary lightly...planning and research is necessary....then you should have safe, comfortable passages between the islands....and don't steal things....bahamians are some of the most respectful people i have ever met....certainly more than in the US....just go sail....it can be done....I still give props to those four that did it.....
Old 02-25-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Watkins 27....im currently writing this from Long Island Bahamas....this is my second trip from delaware to bahamas on this boat...solid build, plenty of room with a 10ft beam, inboard yanmar 2qm15, 3'8" draft, usually see 5-6kts under sail in 10-15kt winds...anymore info check out our blog, Great Mysterious feel free to email
Yes, Watkins 27 is a very impressive no nonsense boat. There was one for sale not that long ago here in NC. Very reasonably priced. It was really tempting but I'm not ready to buy yet. Thanks for the link to your blog. Will check it out.
Specific question: Do you think that having a draft of 3 and a half feet vs. 4 and a half feet makes that much difference in finding good, secluded anchorage in the Bahamas?
Old 02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostGirlsMom View Post
We have a Westerly Centaur and are planning a cruise to the Bahamas in 2015. This year we are currently adding the solar, fridge, and canvas. It's a great little boat which is meant for rough seas and the bilge keel is the best! We love dropping anchor and letting the tide go out while we are resting on our keels. Makes bottom cleaning quite easy
Awesome... I was waiting for someone who sails a Centaur to chime in. How is your boat performing when crossing the Gulf Stream? Frankly, that is my main concern - safety in the passage. What do you think about the size of Centaur's cockpit? Not too large for big waves?
Old 02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
everyone here needs to watch that "Hold Fast" documentary again. Bahamas can be tricky at times...especially if anchoring out, but the reason people need beefily built bluewater capable boats that are being recommended above are for long passages well out of weather forecast range. Situations where you can be caught in a gale for days.
Good point. Safety is job #1
Old 02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
About the spade rudder on the S2. Yes, it does worry me. However< have always said that unless I run aground at least once every time I go sailing, I'm not trying enough to have fun. I go aground a lot because I go places I probably shouldn't and I have owned my S2 for 21years. A few years ago when I replaced the shaft strut, I had them check the rudder for delamination and water intrusion. Solid as a rock they said. I have not yet managed to damage it in my adventures but I do have a backup plan if I have to jury rig a rudder.
I sail on Pamlico Sound and we have A LOT of very shallow water. I run aground now and then (mostly when trying to take a shortcut) but I have a swing keel boat (Mirage 5.5) so it is not that bad. My outboard rudder pops up too. Interesting that you have not damaged your spade rudder despite running aground a few times.
Old 02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I would respectfully suggest that the Morgan OI 33 would make a pretty poor choice for the Bahamas. While a decent live aboard, these boats have a terribly corky motion. The short chop on in the Gulf Stream and Banks would make them very uncomfortable for that proposed purpose. Their mediocre sailing ability means that you would spend a lot of time motoring, and fuel is very expensive in the Bahamas which would have a greater impact than docking length for most folks who anchor out in boats this size.

Jeff
Great points, Jeff. Thank you. I can stand a few hours of corky motion but not if I can help it.
Engine fuel economy is definitely an important factor for me. I would prefer not to buy fuel in the Bahamas and have enough brought from the States for the entire trip.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.