SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Circumnavigation without instruments (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96881-circumnavigation-without-instruments.html)

shandk25 02-22-2013 03:38 PM

Circumnavigation without instruments

Marvin Creamer will be celebrating the 30th anniversary of his unmatched triumph of sailing around the world using no navigational instruments. (The Globestar Voyage)

Rowan University will be hosting "A Voyage with Marvin Creamer" with a VIP reception available to meet and interact with the still active sailor.
Date: Saturday, March 23, 2013

This is an open event and I encourage anyone interested in attending to inquire with me for more details.

All proceeds of the event go to a scholorship fund in Marvin's name.The recipient of the annual award will not only demonstrate good grades, as in most scholarships, but will also share the character and attitude of Dr. Creamer: intellectual curiosity and spirit of adventure. The award will go to a single graduating senior within the department who best personifies these ideals.

Thank you for your interest.

KIVALO 02-22-2013 03:46 PM

Re: Circumnavigation without instruments

Unmatched? Pretty sure it used to happen all the time when sailing ships were the pinnacle of technology.

shandk25 02-22-2013 03:47 PM

Let's just say unmatched in recorded history if you would like to be technical

KIVALO 02-22-2013 03:50 PM

I think I know about these voyages precise because they WERE recorded.

How about unmatched in modern times?

Also, I am now realizing I sound like an *******. Try and read my posts with eye towards sarcasm and not smarmyness. My bad, dude. Welcome to Sailnet.

shandk25 02-22-2013 03:53 PM

Ok, excuse my wording. Either way, let's not detract from Marvin Creamer's brilliant sailing accomplishment.

KIVALO 02-22-2013 04:11 PM

I dunno, I cruised Lake Ontario's south shore once! :laugher

Seriously though, circumnavigating sans instruments is pretty impressive! What an amazing experience that must have been! I bet he has a lot of valuable information to share with folks.

nolatom 02-22-2013 04:58 PM

not even a timepiece? Wow. Did he use popsicle sticks to make a crude sextant and latitude-sail?

I'm impressed. did he have electricity? radio? those aren't instruments.

tommays 02-22-2013 05:48 PM

Why would you do something in a more primitive way than the Vikings and expect me to be impressed ?

shandk25 02-22-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolatom (Post 993632)
not even a timepiece? Wow. Did he use popsicle sticks to make a crude sextant and latitude-sail?

I'm impressed. did he have electricity? radio? those aren't instruments.

He did have a radio and a gas stove. He kept an hour glass on the boat so there would be no arguement over things like night watch. He did not have a sextant, compass, watch etc.

SurabyaKid on EricsonYachts forum has said "In an age where our Navy Midshipman are no longer taught celestial navigation and 14 year olds with all the latest technologies known to man vie for the title of youngest to circumnavigate, I found the whole story very refreshing. "

Ulladh 02-22-2013 06:43 PM

Here is the link to the story of his voyage;
http://www.globestar.org/feat.htm