Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013

m2736185 is on a distinguished road
Towing a boat on a trailer

So...I found a nice cat 22 on a trailer...only problem is its 200 miles away. I plan on purchasing a pick up sometime in the future but for now I have 2 Hondas incapable of towing. Enterprise does not allow towing but their ram 1500 has a hole for a ball. I guess it's called a bumper hitch. What would I need to do to attach the trailer? Just throw a ball in there with a pin? It says max tow capacity is 5000 and tongue weight 17 lbs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
where are approximately are we talking? I'd be willing to help you out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 02-22-2013

m2736185 is on a distinguished road
Re: Towing a boat on a trailer

Far from md. I'm in jax, fl. But thanks for offering
Old 02-22-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

My guess is that total boat & trailer weight could be about 4,500 lbs, maybe more. IIRC, in California, any trailer over 1,500 lbs requires trailer brakes. Suggest you find out what kind, if any, brakes are on your trailer. Also, I think most trailer Mfrs suggest anywhere from 5% to 15% of the total weight be on the tongue.

Using a rental vehicle for an unallowed purpose may be risky from both a liability and damage standpoints. The incremental difference between having it delivered and renting a tow vehicle may not be that much?

I towed a 6,000 boat and trailer combination and it can be a handful, especially in the wind. A big stout heavy duty towing vehicle is a must. I towed it once with my car, an old Detroit iron sedan, and didn't think I was going to make the short trip. VERY bad decision on my part, be careful

Paul T
Old 02-22-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
no problem ...just thought I would offer. check with U-Haul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 02-22-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

Try Ryder Trucks for diesel vans. They may even have a tow package on the van, to give you trailer lights.
Old 02-22-2013

Andrew Burton is on a distinguished road

My car broke down right before I was to pick up my new J/80. I rented a Tahoe from Thrifty and got it that way. You will probably need an adapter for the lights. If you are careful, towing is no problem. Just keep it at 55 and stay in the slow lane. Use your mirrors and don't forget you have a somewhat longer load than you're used to.
Old 02-22-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I, also, understand that U-Haul allows towing. If you aren't in a state that requires trailer brakes, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be careful: Moderate speeds, maintain gaps ahead, check bearings for heating, strong tie-downs. For a few bucks more than renting a truck, you may be able to hire someone to haul the thing (with a pickup truck). In the long run, you are going to want to have something to tow the thing. Maybe just sell your car and buy a tow vehicle (Jeep Grand Cherokee would work).
Old 02-22-2013

copacetic is on a distinguished road

I've got a Cat 22 and use a 1/2 ton Dodge Ram as well as a Jeep Grande Cherokee. As long as the trailer is sound follow the advice already given and you should be fine. I would definitely check the bearings and tires. Some of the rental car companies rent SUVs so that would be a possibility. Where are you moving it from? I've got family in Jax.
Old 02-22-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I, also, understand that U-Haul allows towing. If you aren't in a state that requires trailer brakes, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be careful: Moderate speeds, maintain gaps ahead, check bearings for heating, strong tie-downs. For a few bucks more than renting a truck, you may be able to hire someone to haul the thing (with a pickup truck). In the long run, you are going to want to have something to tow the thing. Maybe just sell your car and buy a tow vehicle (Jeep Grand Cherokee would work).
I can only speak from my own experience, which includes driving an 18 wheeler. It is my opinion that if your trailer and boat combination weighs over about 2,000 lbs sooner or later you may be really glad your trailer has properly working brakes. You can be as careful as you can be but you can't control what others may do. Without trailer brakes the extra weight will increase your stopping or braking distance and there may be downhill grades to consider.

Paul T