SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Bashing North up the US Pacific Coast (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96892-bashing-north-up-us-pacific-coast.html)

Boisesailor 02-22-2013 06:06 PM

Bashing North up the US Pacific Coast

I'm planning to motor from San Francisco to Seattle this Spring/Summer. Does anyone have suggestions on weather sites other than Passage Weather and NOAA(?) AND what are the best months for this venture? I know the storms, bars, and breaking seas are outright dangerous. I am on a 51 foot, 50,000 pound Fraser sailboat with a 120 Hp auxilliary.

dabnis 02-22-2013 06:35 PM

Re: Bashing North up the US Pacific Coast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boisesailor (Post 993659)
I'm planning to motor from San Francisco to Seattle this Spring/Summer. Does anyone have suggestions on weather sites other than Passage Weather and NOAA(?) AND what are the best months for this venture? I know the storms, bars, and breaking seas are outright dangerous. I am on a 51 foot, 50,000 pound Fraser sailboat with a 120 Hp auxilliary.

Here is one that combines some of the bouy locations in real time:

Northern California NOAA/CDIP Buoy Data

Paul T

jrd22 02-22-2013 08:44 PM

Since that is an uphill trip (fighting current and wind generally) I would guess later the better at least for the northern portion of the trip. Winds are lightest and the weather is the best starting in July and on into Sept. Going earlier you'll just have to be more careful and plan on it taking longer, possibly having to duck in to avoid a storm, etc.

Fraser built a nice boat.

rgscpat 02-22-2013 08:54 PM

Hawaii might be a nice stop "on the way". It would not be quite so much of a just kidding if you were coming back from a Baja Bash.

jackdale 02-22-2013 10:03 PM

You should be far enough offshore that the World Wide Web is out of the question. Use a SSB for weatherfax and a sat phone to get grib files through email.

Summer would be better than spring, but it will be a slog.

mitchbrown 02-22-2013 10:08 PM

A Friend of mine did that trip a couple years ago. they tacked out away from the coast at night and toward the coast during day. They did it during the winter and had some pretty rough conditions. These are some pretty rugged sailors, capable for sure. they would get 100 or more miles from shore during the night which i felt was a really smart way of doing it.

Last week in July thru august is the what people usually do when they want the best chance of decent conditions.

SloopJonB 02-23-2013 02:27 AM

A family friend who built a Maple Leaf 42 brought it back from Mexico by harbour hopping the whole coast. He claimed he did it the whole way from San Francisco in day trips.

erps 02-23-2013 01:38 PM

Fraser 51! I remember looking at one on Yacht World a few years back. It had a washer/dryer in it. IIRC, only three were made.

SloopJonB 02-23-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 994011)
Fraser 51! I remember looking at one on Yacht World a few years back. It had a washer/dryer in it. IIRC, only three were made.

There used to be one parked in front of a house on the channel I took out of Thunderbird. It looked just like a Fraser 41 until you got close and realized how big it was. :cool:

blt2ski 02-23-2013 09:43 PM

WHile I have not down that slog, The Ca to Hawaii to the NW is a common route vs straight up the coast. I could also see an earlier trip in the year, as at least you could then have some sw oriented winds so you would be going down wind. Altho the strength would be higher than in the summer. But then, you are literally going against a lot of north to nw winds, so all head winds!

Not sure what to say, higher winds from the south earlier in the year, or light from the north later.....better weather later too.......

Marty