Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
SSB receiver & JVComm

Thinking to spend a few dollars to make my crewing in a long passage safer at sea. After 4 to 5 days at sea without hearing the latest weather report, there is always an uneasy feeling. Keep an eye on the sky can only go so far.

I am looking for a portable SSB Receiver. They are from $150 to $400. Not sure if it is the case of more expensive the better. So what do you recommend or look for?

Besides JVComm, what other new programs are on the market? May be is wishful thinking, are there any apps for iPhone or iPad?

TIA

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Thinking to spend a few dollars to make my crewing in a long passage safer at sea. After 4 to 5 days at sea without hearing the latest weather report, there is always an uneasy feeling. Keep an eye on the sky can only go so far.

I am looking for a portable SSB Receiver. They are from $150 to $400. Not sure if it is the case of more expensive the better. So what do you recommend or look for?

Besides JVComm, what other new programs are on the market? May be is wishful thinking, are there any apps for iPhone or iPad?

TIA
I certainly would not pretend to be a radio expert, far from it, but before we had a receiver that worked OK. The antenna really matters and the extendible one that came with the radio was not that good so I made a longer one. There is an iPad app called HF Fax. I have it, but we did not have much success finding strong weatherfax signals in the southern Indian Ocean.

I am interested in your comments about feeling uneasy without weather forecasts. I am less so in recent years when offshore because you can't really do anything about bad weather (we are always ready for bad weather in any case). In addition to looking at the sky I would not be happy without my barometer.

Final comment, after living for my whole life around 42N I was pretty good at understanding local weather. In Southern Hemisphere, mid-latitudes I can work it out although I still have to reverse Buys-Ballots (sp?) Law each time. The Trades are not too hard since the weather is pretty static. The trickiest bits for me are where the trades and westerlies with their frontal systems meet. Took me a few months in the Caribbean to realize that a cold front in the Bahamas meant light winds if you were 500 miles south. Learned a nasty lesson about squash zones in French Polynesia a couple of years ago - boy do they have potent highs (1035 MB) down there.
Old 02-23-2013

Chiquita is on a distinguished road
Re: SSB receiver & JVComm

RockDAWG, Have you ever thought about getting your Amateur Radio License aka HAM ?
It would allow not only receive but also transmit capabilities. With a SSB radio you can receive all your weather faxes, wind, and wave reports. Send and receive your email. Talk to people around the world and keep in touch with friends and family. There is an awesome group called the Maritime Mobile Net. They are on 20 meters. The frequency is 14.300. They keep track of you sailing along, send messages, call loved ones via phone, or give you a weather report at anytime...24 hours a day. There is a lot of sailors on there and frequently chat with each other. It's a really cool system. Worth checking out.
There are 3 levels of licensing. Technician, General, and Extra. All will need a little reading to learn the material. Below is a few websites to get you going.

14300.net <-- Maritime Mobile Net. You can listen in in realtime !
eHam.net Home - Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community Site <-- Tons of info
American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO <-- Best site to get started

Ham Radio Outlet - World's Largest Supplier of Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Equipment. Sales, Supplies, and Service. < -- Store to purchase stuff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook