SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sydney Hobart Record (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96928-sydney-hobart-record.html)

tdw 02-23-2013 09:13 PM

Sydney Hobart Record

Sean Langman's Tri, Team Australia, the former Banque Populaire, has today broken the record for a sailing vessel twixt Sydney and Hobart. Reaching speeds of up to 38 knots TA covered the course in one day, six hours at an average speed of 21 knots.

http://www.mysailing.com.au/images/d...%20Harbour.jpg

Sydney-Hobart sailing record smashed - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Sail-World.com : Sydney to Hobart passage record attempt - Team Australia barrel south

Last time Langman went to Hobart it was in his gaff rigged cutter Maluka of Kermandie. Took them over five days, they were dead last.

Maluka arrives in time for New Year - Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2012

Langmans says he next wants to attempt an under 24hr passage.

Faster 02-23-2013 09:42 PM

Re: Sydney Hobart Record

Cool..!

PCP 02-23-2013 09:52 PM

Yes, I read that but the importance seemed relative me. I mean, it is a record but that has nothing to to with the record of the Sydney- Hobart race. Regarding that one you are restricted to the conditions you have on given date. On a record like this one, one waits for the better possible weather window (that means big downwind winds:D).

Well, I can only hope that the Sydney- Hobart, besides a great race starts also to be a seamark record, one that other crews will be disposed to beat with adequate weather windows and equally fast boats.

I guess that wild Oates will not be the boat to beat that record, it is an upwind optimized boat...and if you could chose the weather...you will have downwind winds.

Around there there are more big multihulls with potential to beat the record?

By the way, why there are not big multihulls racing the Sydney-Hobart?

Regards

Paulo

Classic30 02-24-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCP (Post 994152)
By the way, why there are not big multihulls racing the Sydney-Hobart?

That's a good question. Too dangerous maybe?

It's pretty significant that they could pick their weather for this attempt. The Sydney-Hobart starts on December 26th every year regardless of the weather forecast - which could be anything from flat calm to lethal storm.

bljones 02-24-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCP (Post 994152)
Yes, I read that but the importance seemed relative me. I mean, it is a record ...

Paolo, dude, your anti-miutlihull bias is now getting ridiculous.
It was a fast trip.
On a fast boat.
Period.

Look, I get that you don't like boats with more than one hull. You have a whole thread of "interesting boats" without a single cat or tri, arguably the most interesting boats of all.
But to denigrate the record because it was under favourable conditions is just silly.

That would be like denying the portuguese explorers and sailors of antiquity accomplished anything because they simply bumbled from one uncharted shore to another and picked theri weather window to the best of their limited ability.

JimMcGee 02-24-2013 09:35 PM

Very impressive. Must've been a helluva ride!

tdw 02-24-2013 09:51 PM

Paulo,
Multis are not allowed in the Syd-Hob. I believe Langman was going to have a shot at unofficially racing the fleet down to Hobart last year but decided not to upset the organisers and gave Maluka another run. Langman did take the tri up for Hamilton Island Race week and simply cleared out from evryone else. The possibility of multis being allowed int the Syd-Hob is remote to say the least.

My reason for mentioning the run was purely out of interest. For mine, any boat with three or four crew doing that trip in that time is pretty damned impressive.

Jonesy .... I think you are being somewhat unfair to Paulo.He is not really totally damning of multis, he merely points out where monos and multis differ and why he still prefers a mono, particularly for offshore work.

Oh yes, and the record that Langman has just broken was not set by Wild Oats but by the 143'super yacht Mari Cha who also went down outside of the official race. So its a passage record not a race record.

Classic30 02-24-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMcGee (Post 994521)
Very impressive. Must've been a helluva ride!

No doubt. At the speeds they were going on that particular stretch of ocean, they would have to have spent far more time in the air than they ever did on the water.. :eek:

night0wl 02-24-2013 10:22 PM

jebus...there are times im afraid to go 38 knots equivalent in my automobile...these guys did it on the ocean.

JimMcGee 02-24-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley18 (Post 994538)
No doubt. At the speeds they were going on that particular stretch of ocean, they would have to have spent far more time in the air than they ever did on the water.. :eek:

Is it wrong that I got a big ass grin when I read that :D

Multi or mono I think it's a great accomplishment and I'm guessing it's a blast to sail on that boat.