Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner:994285
Carib,

Take a Sailing and Seamanship Course from your local Power Squadron, especially if you'll be sailing the coast at all. It isn't a sailing course per se', but teaches all that boating stuff that people that have "been around boat their whole lives" tend to be missing. Kind of a "don't know what they don't know" thing.

Small boat, consider free, downloadable Booklet Charts, in plastic covers in a three ring binder. I put my plastic covers in upside down and tape the bottom closed Keeps the water out. For a mast light, I've used a $4 LED puck light in a Walmart bag in a pinch. The bag takes some of the sting out of the LEDs and makes it look like a real light. But is it visible for 2 NM? Can't say.
Agreed. Actually, my wife and I are already signed up at a school geared towards couples that want to live aboard, as that is our ultimate goal. We are scheduled (and currently studying for) ASA 101 Basic Keelboat, ASA 103 Coastal Cruising, ASA Bareboat Certification. I am also signed up for ASA 105 Coastal Navigation and Piloting. Our courses are taught one-on-one with a husband wife team who are both USCG Captains, as well as ASA instructors. I frequently do heavy duty sea kayaking so some of these things on the nav and weather side have been a bit easier to cover as I have already researched and taken classes. I also have quite a lot of experience with power boats as I have owned them on lakes all my life.

I wanted a day sailer to build up hours at the helm. All the captains I have spoken with say that a small sailboat helps you learn to "feel" larger 40-50 footers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: My first day sailer. What do you pack in yours?

Great advise so far.

I'll add, Proper navigation lighting is not an option. Since you will have power concerns, I would consider LED.

I'd take the ASA coastal navigation course before any of the other classes, or at least second after ASA basic keel boat.

You will probably learn more from the navigation class than you might expect. First and foremost, dealing with the currents in LIS.

Since your boat has a motor, have you taken the required CT safe boaters course?
Old 02-24-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

I've sailed and motor boated all over the Norwalk Islands and also on Lake George. Congrats on your boat. We always loved to have a small soft sided cooler with a strap, the kind with extra pockets on the outside and vinyl covering. You can really load those things up with everything from sunscreen to flares to sandwiches or beer.

I'm a bit more concerned about the Norwalk part of you plan. Its protected but I would still get the dog a life preserver - at least if you tip over he will float. Don't go to close to any major navigational buoys - they attract big traffic - and you are in traffic in Norwalk a lot. I remember some really big fast yachts passing right by my boat and throwing an 8 foot wake at us - no exaggeration either.
Old 02-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher:994310
Great advise so far.

I'll add, Proper navigation lighting is not an option. Since you will have power concerns, I would consider LED.

I'd take the ASA coastal navigation course before any of the other classes, or at least second after ASA basic keel boat.

You will probably learn more from the navigation class than you might expect. First and foremost, dealing with the currents in LIS.

Since your boat has a motor, have you taken the required CT safe boaters course?
The ASA certifications I'm obtaining satisfy CT requirements for the safe boater certificate. I just need to provide proof that I took the courses. Obviously taking the amount of training that I am, covers and far exceeds what's covered in the basic CT required course. I also feel that it was worth the extra money to go to a school that specializes in private training vs class based. I wouldn't want to be held back or distracted by other students, nor would I want to be the one holding others back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise:994344
and you are in traffic in Norwalk a lot. I remember some really big fast yachts passing right by my boat and throwing an 8 foot wake at us - no exaggeration either.
WHOA.... Not cool. Now I'm second guessing. The two places that have launches convenient for me are Norwalk and Bridgeport. Bridgeport is nice because you get to open deep water within a mile from the launch. Norwalk looks like if the tide is low and the wind isn't in a good direction, I'm looking at 3.5 to 4 miles of motoring to get to the other side of the islands and open deep water....

The PFD for my dog is planned, good point. Also, I plan on leaving him home the first couple trips until we get used to the boat and the area.

Old 02-24-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

No kidding about the wakes. I had an old Navy boat at the time that was a brick $hithouse with 120 HP and I was puckered up when that wake came. Another time I almost sank ouside the Norwalk islands years ago when the inside harbor was calm but turned the corner outside the islands and there were 5' waves pushing my stern and I almost broached turning around.

I think the American is nice but its limited to the area between the Norwalk river and the islands most of the time.

Saugatuck also had a convenient ramp that had pretty long boring approach.

You know - if it gets rough wth a small cruiser you can at least put all the hatch boards in and lock the lockers and close the hatches and she is secure against down flooding. What can you do in a little daysailer? Thats what I would worry about......

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 02-24-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

NO KIDDING on the wakes. We were 5 miles out, heading E-NE and this triple decker stink pot cut in front of us, within 100 ft. At 5 miles out, that's like getting t-boned. The wake looked like something from a movie; had to be 6 feet tall. I cut the boat to 45 degrees so I'd roll a little instead of jumping it. Still, almost lost my lovely bride over the side. Ours is only a 25 footer so the big boys might handle it differently.