Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting ahead of myself

Jim,
You're looking at a three day weekend to Delaware City. When we did this trip in our Catalina 30 we left Norfolk and went into Mathews Yacht Club the first night. Mathews is just a few miles south of Deltaville (the people were fantastic BTW).

From Mathews we went to Spring Cove in Solomons (69 nautical miles), then on to Great Oak Landing (76 nautical miles) and finally to Delaware City (49 NM). Chef's advice on the Delaware Bay is spot on. Don't take it lightly, it can be a rough ride.

Expect problems to crop up with a "new to you" boat, and expect weather to play a factor in March. Our jib blew out in a storm just north of Norfolk and we bypassed Rock Hall because of horrendous weather (horizontal rain, ridiculous winds and tornadoes - not kidding). And we kept clogging diesel filters in rough conditions in Delaware Bay due to tank crud (after I paid to have the tank cleaned by a "reputable" mechanic - arrgh). Oh and make sure you give the guys in Delaware city duplicate keys - they are known to lose them - ask me how I know .

In other words it was a pretty typical delivery for an unfamiliar boat

I know Chef sails the bay this time of year, but I would think long and hard about the weather. I occasionally sail up here in the middle of winter with a buddy who stays in all year. A sunny day in the 40's can be nice, but the dampness really gets into your bones and the temperature drops fast in the afternoon. I can't imagine 12 hour days in March will be fun.

If the marina will let you keep her there until they start splashing boats in April I'd give it some serious thought. It will give you a chance to take her out a few times and the opportunity to repair anything that crops up. That will give you a lot more confidence for the trip north and hopefully make it less eventful.

Best of luck with her,
Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Jim,
I agree with everything you said, and if the weather isn't good, there's no way I'll move her. I'm OK with missing the March 22 window in Delaware City if need be. Sure, I'd LOVE to be in Barnegat Bay ASAP, but I have the whole season ahead of me, so I'm not in THAT big of a rush.

That being said, keeping her in Deltaville for a while really isn't an option - that's a 4+ hour ride in each direction, so I really won't get much use out of her. As of now, my wife is willing to try overnighting on the boat once it's in BB, but a trip to Deltaville and a sleep-over on the boat isn't in the cards for her, which means that I'd likely be going alone, and I already spend enough time away from my family. So, my goal is to get the boat out of Deltaville as soon as practical. If I can get her to Rock Hall, that cuts it to 2 hours, and Delaware City gets me down to an hour and a quarter or so. Then it really does become practical to hold out there and run down to do stuff until the weather/tides are good. Even if we don't go out for rides on the sailboat, we have a dinghy and can get out and play a bit, which will make it more fun for my boys.

Similarly, if I get to Cape May and then have to hang out there a few days/weeks, that's OK too. It's not ideal, mind you, but it could still work. I had considered doing this in a 4 day weekend, and trying to end in Cape May, but I think I'd rather tackle the Delaware River when I'm more rested, not after having already done 3 days on the boat (when it's not something I'm used to). Geographically, it also gets the boat closest to me, at least until I get to BB. So, all in all, Delaware City seems the best place to hang out for a while. Chesapeake City wouldn't be bad either, but I like the idea of setting myself up well for the next leg of the journey.

Well, again, this is all a bit premature, but I really do appreciate all of the feedback. The prospect of the trip has me nervous and excited. The first day or two will really be the big ones - I'll be shaking down the boat, and me. Once that's over, there are certainly challenges to be overcome, but I'll be closer to friends and family so finding crew will be easier, and the logistics of the move (stupid stuff, like how do I get back to my car?)become easier, too.
JimMcGee and ottos like this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I'm sure Dave will answer for himself, but it can be done safely. Just buy the right gear that vents the fumes outside the cabin:
Rick! I hope you are well.

I've been trying to come up with a good heater solution. That's actually the one big questionmark for me. The previous owner seems to have sailed her a lot, and lived aboard, but he always lived at a slip with electric. So, there are 3 or 4 heaters aboard, but they are all electric (at least as far as I recall). I think I'd like to find a diesel heater - I know I won't be using all the fuel in the tank most years, so burning the fuel to keep warm seems to make sense, but I need to research this more. I also need to dig through all the junk that's there and see - there may be another heat source that I overlooked (or just hadn't found) when I was aboard last time.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
...That being said, keeping her in Deltaville for a while really isn't an option - that's a 4+ hour ride in each direction, so I really won't get much use out of her. As of now, my wife is willing to try overnighting on the boat once it's in BB, but a trip to Deltaville and a sleep-over on the boat isn't in the cards for her, which means that I'd likely be going alone, and I already spend enough time away from my family...
I missed all of your threads the last couple of weeks. Congrats on finding another boat to replace your (much superior ) C25.

I realized that distance is a factor, and getting your wife to sleep over is another issue, but you really should plan at least one weekend of daysailing in Deltaville before heading out for the trip home. There's a lot of stuff to shake out. If you can't get her to stay on the boat overnight, rent a hotel. If you just can't get her down there, you might try to recruit some local crew to help you. There's just too much that could go wrong on a maiden voyage to try that kind of distance without a couple of days of shakedown first.
JimMcGee and ottos like this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks! I'm still not 100% that we'll be getting her - there's still the small issue of a survey. But I'm planning just in case.

The survey is scheduled for March 8 (Friday). I'll be staying down until Sunday to clean up the boat and I plan on taking her out both days, just so I can get a feel for her and get used to steering with a wheel, using a diesel, etc. I don't know that I'll be out for very long either day - maybe an hour or so - but I do want to get more familiar with her.

My plan is to take her out, test out the main and jib, make sure I can start the engine without much difficulty, make sure the batteries are charing properly when the engine runs, and make sure the lights work (which will be covered in the survey, but with my luck, one will blow right after the survey is complete). There are several pieces of electronics, including a radar system, that I'll need to play with, too, so I can get more familiar with them.

Other than those things, what would you check out on a shake-down?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-25-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
....... (stupid stuff, like how do I get back to my car?)....
I find Enterprise is really good at bringing a car to you. It works at just about every little municipal airport I've ever been to. I assume it would work at a Marina too. They work better with a bit of notice. I would leave my car at home and just rent one way, when I needed to leave the boat enroute for a bit.
chef2sail likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I thought about Enterprise, and that's probably the way I'll go. I'd like to leave my car somewhere near Delaware City, then have them come pick me up with the car. Then I drive to Deltaville and, if I'm lucky, leave the car at the marina for them to pick up. Otherwise, I'll lose time the first day, but it may be the most practical way to handle everything.

Once the survey is taken care of, and once I figure out who will be my crew, I'll figure out these other logistics.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 02-25-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My plan is to take her out, test out the main and jib, make sure I can start the engine without much difficulty, make sure the batteries are charing properly when the engine runs, and make sure the lights work (which will be covered in the survey, but with my luck, one will blow right after the survey is complete). There are several pieces of electronics, including a radar system, that I'll need to play with, too, so I can get more familiar with them.

Other than those things, what would you check out on a shake-down?
Sounds like you have a good plan. Be present for the survey if possible and ask the surveyor lots of questions. Good surveyors are a wealth of information.

Get familiar with your chartplotter on the shakedown (if present) and check if there are up to date charts aboard. Are the instruments working, especially the depth sounder?

The surveyor should check the VHF but a radio check can't hurt.

Motor for no less than an hour. Take her up to cruising speed for a while. Back her down a 1,000 RPM's and cruise for a while. Try different speeds. Listen and feel what the engine is doing. At the end of an hour is she doing anything different, is she dropping revs? If she is the most likely culprit is dirty fuel or filters. Write down the filter numbers and buy spares.

After a couple of hours on the water go below and look for any signs of leaks from hatches and stanchions.
jimgo likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 02-25-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Jim,

if you need help to move your boat from Deltaville to NJ, I can help. I don't care much about cold and don't need much sleep. I sailed countless times between Annapolis to Cape May by myself nonstop and/or with other captains.

As long as we have a proper weather window, the boat is sound, clean and and not spilling diesel or coolant, I am willing to help you and the boat in a safe manner. If I behave nicely, my wife will even prepare gourmet meals for the trip.

Without knowing more about your boat, we would do a shakedown from Delta ville to Solomon. If all is good, we will sail nonstop to Chesapeake City and I am sure my wife will have hot food waiting for us by the City Dock. I will jump off after we can get to Cape May. My friend will pick me up to the train station. If for any safety reason you need me to sail with you to your home port, I will consider it. But I prefer not to be absent so many days.

I have plenty of references with all captains and owners whom I have served. Here are two listed on Sailnet.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-w...tml#post978089

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-w...tml#post970222

Please PM if this will work for you. Congratulation and be safe.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-25-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Sounds like you have a good plan. Be present for the survey if possible and ask the surveyor lots of questions. Good surveyors are a wealth of information.

Get familiar with your chartplotter on the shakedown (if present) and check if there are up to date charts aboard. Are the instruments working, especially the depth sounder?

The surveyor should check the VHF but a radio check can't hurt.

Motor for no less than an hour. Take her up to cruising speed for a while. Back her down a 1,000 RPM's and cruise for a while. Try different speeds. Listen and feel what the engine is doing. At the end of an hour is she doing anything different, is she dropping revs? If she is the most likely culprit is dirty fuel or filters. Write down the filter numbers and buy spares.

After a couple of hours on the water go below and look for any signs of leaks from hatches and stanchions.
Backup fuel filters are a must and it would be best to start with a clean one.
Check on drip of the packing gland when the boat is idleing at the dock...and in gear underway.
Does it have a chartplotter?
You probably wont even use the radar, but make sure its operable
The advice above on the engine is very important and correct.
Check on the raw water impeller to see when it was last replaced and have at least 2 spares.
Check both manual and electric bilge pumps water entering ilge
Check for where the emrgency rudder handle is and that it fits
Check the rigging to make sure all pins are in and turnbuckles ok
Check on anchor, chain and make sure rode is secured to boat. See if
there is a backup anchor.
Check on pressuried water system

Does it have an burners/oven, check on propane/ solenoid switch if it does
Find out how much battery power ( types and how configured) ( 2 group 31 house bank and 1 group 24 starter. Check to make sure they have good water levels and are charged.

As far as a heater underway, desiel heaters are expensive add on add require venting. Usually they are permanent installations like dickensens etc

You can buy an expensive propane one ( we have the one below) which lasts about 5 hours on 1 1 lb bomb. We crack our cabin for ventilation which is enough. When we are anchored and its cold ( spring and fall) its plenty of heat for the boat.

We have a larger Coleman one no longer made which has a fan, but heats well

Coleman BlackCat Instastart PerfecTemp Catalytic Heater ? Walmart.com

Also these are advertised
Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Heater: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality : Walmart.com
JimMcGee likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner