The survey on my boat is currently scheduled for March 8 (I'm confirming with the surveyor on Monday). I hope it works out well, and on the assumption it does, I want to be ready for the next steps. The broker was nice and said the boat could hang out there for a few weeks while we wait for good weather, but I'm still anxious to bring her closer to home. So, I'm already looking at tide charts, trying to figure out a good plan for moving her from Deltaville, VA to Forked River, NJ. My current plan is to assume I'll need two, 3-day weekends to get her home. I hope it will be less, but it's not a big deal if it takes a little longer. I'm shooting for getting to Delaware City by the end of the first weekend, then hanging out there until the tides favor a trip down the Delaware River to Cape May.
I'm working backward a bit, and it looks like a departure from Delaware City to Cape May on March 22 would be just about ideal. High tide at Delaware City is about 8:00 AM
, so I can scoot out around 6:00 AM and ride the tide for most of the trip down to the Delaware Bay and into Cape May. So, if I'm shooting for leaving there that weekend, and if my survey is the 8th, that means I'm headin' out of Deltaville on the 15th. If things don't work out well for that weekend, I can always wait 2 weeks.
So, aside from the possible weather issues (I'm not minimizing those), what am I missing?
Yes, I'm getting ahead of myself, but...