Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: The definition of I can cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkamper View Post
In preparation for sailing across oceans, I am learning to grow sprouts and make cheese. I love the idea of having fresh crunchy greens every few days,
Nicola
Yes, growing bean sprout is easy with a small bucket and a small straw mat. For east coast sailing, the passage of 10 to 15 days is not bad. But for the west coast sailors, their voyage is 30 days of more. It is nice have some greens besides from the can.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkamper View Post
I am learning to grow sprouts and make cheese. I love the idea of having fresh crunchy greens every few days,Nicola
The romance and the reality tend to be the only thing that crunches!

After weeks at sea we had oour first fresh meal of sprouts.... about half a bite each!

Below is a photo of our Mushroom Farm - you can buy a box of mushroom spores in compost and they hatch and out pop mushrooms... Well thats the idea!
After a few weeks of diligent farming the photo shows our entire harvest and me dividing the spoils between Nicolle and me for dinner...
Attached Thumbnails
The definition of I can cook-pb140583.jpg  
Old 02-25-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

whoa.... what is a handsome man!!!. ..............................so did you cook that little thing in butter?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-25-2013

nkamper is on a distinguished road

Well, it is a beautiful mushroom. I guess if you can't enjoy quantity, you can at least appreciate the quality!!!
Old 02-25-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Quinoa: Looks and tastes a lot like millet, canary seed. It was "rediscovered" as being a fairly nutritious alternative to rice and corn for folks who can't tolerate gluten. Personally, I find it has no flavor appeal, it works best if boiled in broth and seasoning, not plain. Sort of like a small bland buckwheat or kasha.

Dave, if you're cooking gluten-free you'll have to learn how to bake with the non-toxic grains which often are found in the "ethnic foods" shelves. Rice flour, potato flour/starch, tapioca flour, bean flour...and then there's the trick of baking it. GF breads are becoming commonly stocked in supermarkets, but even in Whole Foods it is a lottery to find out what is on the shelf, and how long it has been there.

The really old classic cookbooks like Joy of Cooking and The New Settlement Cookbook can usually still be found used or online, and they date back to a different time so they're actually quite handy on a boat. Like, no mayonaise? No problem, you've got an egg and some oil, right?

Anybody gives you grief over using a recipe, you just stick it in their sandwich. (G)
nkamper likes this.
Old 02-25-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Quinoa: Looks and tastes a lot like millet, canary seed. It was "rediscovered" as being a fairly nutritious alternative to rice and corn for folks who can't tolerate gluten. Personally, I find it has no flavor appeal, it works best if boiled in broth and seasoning, not plain. Sort of like a small bland buckwheat or kasha.

Dave, if you're cooking gluten-free you'll have to learn how to bake with the non-toxic grains which often are found in the "ethnic foods" shelves. Rice flour, potato flour/starch, tapioca flour, bean flour...and then there's the trick of baking it. GF breads are becoming commonly stocked in supermarkets, but even in Whole Foods it is a lottery to find out what is on the shelf, and how long it has been there.

The really old classic cookbooks like Joy of Cooking and The New Settlement Cookbook can usually still be found used or online, and they date back to a different time so they're actually quite handy on a boat. Like, no mayonaise? No problem, you've got an egg and some oil, right?

Anybody gives you grief over using a recipe, you just stick it in their sandwich. (G)
I like to serve my quinoa with small diced reconstituted dry fruit like apricots or figs and toasted almond slivers or pignolia nuts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-25-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I can still cook, bit I'm really gettin lazy about being creative. Last night I sauteed fresh-caught mangrove snapper fillets in butter flavored Pam, sprinkled on a little old bay, cooked some Italian flavored stewed tomatoes and had some left over potato salad. Washed it all down with a Green Coconut Margaretta. Desert was a couple Mint Oreo cookies - love them little rascals.

Cheers,

Gary
Bene505 likes this.
Old 02-25-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Nothing wrong with using recipes for cooking, but to cook successfully, one should understand recipes are guidelines, used with good judgement which comes with experience that may include some training. My suggestion to take some cooking classes was primarily made so one could get some professional feedback. Then you should understand where your skills are. Many people are good cooks, many think they are but in reality they are not...I see it everyday as a chef instructor.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 02-25-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Gary, there's lazy and there's lazy. I guess butter-flavored Pam has a use on a boat if you can't preserve butter (G) the list of ingredients varies from can to can, depending on the flavors inside. Ain't so hard to just use the butter and olive oil, is it?

Or course if you use one of the green ceramic skillets, they really ARE remarkable. No butter, no oil needed, except for flavor. Well, that's not quite true, they tell you to oil & season them twice a year, cast iron style.

Last edited by hellosailor; 02-25-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-25-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

We used to rotate cooking duties altho' it usually operated under the moose turd pie rules.
davidpm likes this.