Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: The definition of I can cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkamper View Post
I think that I can cook. While I like to take a lot of time to research and create new recipes, I would say that maybe my best skill is cooking up a delicious and nutritious meal using what I've got. In preparation for sailing across oceans, I am learning to grow sprouts and make cheese. I love the idea of having fresh crunchy greens every few days, and I think that out in the middle of the ocean, a week away from land, would be an ideal place to make fresh mozzarella and ricotta cheeses to construct a wonderful lasagne dinner for the crew. I'm not prone to seasickness and have medical skills too. Our first meal that I cooked on our boat was angel hair pasta with bolognese sauce topped with fresh-grated parmigianno reggiano, served with garlic bread and steamed green beans with slivered almonds. This was paired with a bottle of red wine and dessert was tarte tatin.
Nicola
Now you've got my attention... How do you make cheese onboard?

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Making homemade mozzarella is something we have done a number of times. All you need is a gallon of milk, rennet citric acid, and a good thermometer . .It's a fairly simpe process. I would try it at home first though. It's a lots of fun to do with kids as they watch the curds, come together in the mozzarella form

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-25-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Brad, if you want to make fresh mozzarella cheese, you need to start with fresh buffalo milk. That's buffalo, yes, not cow. So, first you need to get a female buffalo on the boat.

The rest of the process is fairly easy. :-)

Since cheese is preserved milk and fresh milk is most often found on land...I dunno, I can't see making cheese on the boat. Most of it (not the mozzarella) needs to be set aside to age for some time, and between the buffalo and the cheese cavern, you're gonna need a bigger boat.
davidpm likes this.
Old 02-25-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Mozzarella

30 Minute Fresh Mozzarella Cheese Recipe

Ricotta

Fresh Homemade Ricotta Recipe at Epicurious.com
Old 02-25-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Nothing wrong with using recipes for cooking, but to cook successfully, one should understand recipes are guidelines, used with good judgement which comes with experience that may include some training. My suggestion to take some cooking classes was primarily made so one could get some professional feedback. Then you should understand where your skills are. Many people are good cooks, many think they are but in reality they are not...I see it everyday as a chef instructor.
Hmmm this is interesting. I have not never taken a cooking lesson, although I watched lot chefs preparing dishes when I was younger. I learned how to cook initially by necessity becasue I can't afford meal plan in school. Slowly cooking has become an art for me, somehow I intuitively know what to do. Like in organic chemistry lab, I learned the basics and I heaped forward. We go to eat a lot, and find some dishes we like. Using reverse engineering, I usually can reproduce what they have. Of course searching in the internet helps to finalize the starting point. We used to entertained lot of guests, so I know our food are good.

I dreamed of opening a restaurant one day, even have a name for it. But so many things to do with so little time, I must limit my vision. However, my family know all about this restaurant franchise. It will be the first in the nation. So the dream lives on.

Occasionally I flipped thru the Channel and find someone demonstrating cooking. Sadly these individuals could not even know how to handle the kitchen utensil and let alone make a decent dish. It was a turn off for me. Therefore, I thought the cooking school is just like that. (No disrespect to T37Chef, I think he is the real thing). I am just a cook. It only serves the purpose of cooking for myself, family and guests. Now it expends to serve the captain and the crews I sail with. Because of this and by the words of mouth, I have picked up many sailing opportunities. Like looking for jobs, one must distinguish himself from the masses. Knowing how to prepare meals day after days in rough sea without getting burned helps.

Of course, I don't beleive I can make a living as a professional chef on land.
T37Chef likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-25-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I'm still trying to find one of those green skillets in the stores, but so far no luck. As for butter and olive oil, I love the taste, but my 72-year-old stomach keeps rejecting the stuff. I'm gonna check K-Mart tomorrow for one of the green skillets. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 02-25-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Gary, WalMart stocks them--usually in the front shelves after you have checked out. And Bed Bath and Beyond carries them. Both probably at the same "list" price, choice of 10 or 12 inch sizes. Which probably makes the Bed Bath and Beyond Reason cheaper, if you ask for one of the everpresent 20% off coupons.

If you're using a cooking spray, it IS oil and butter. The only question is which oil, and what part of the butter. I'm slowly getting a real aversion to funky stuff in processed foods. And much as I usually stock up on tinned vegetables and soups, I'm walking away from a lot of that because so much of the tinned stuff has BPA in it. Dunno about the cooking sprays but since the original Pam is mainly just Canola oil, that's easy enough to just buy & rub on. Hopefully from a BPA-free bottle.
CalebD likes this.
Old 02-26-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

To the OP (I think it was davidpm!) ..

If someone tells me they can cook I assume they can cook as well as your average mom who has raised a few kids on a budget. That doesn't include having done it once or twice, that means a working knowledge of an oven, being able to throw a bunch of leftovers together and turn it into something worth eating, having some basic "go to" recipes that can feed a few people on short notice, etc. When I think cook, I think someone who cooks for others daily.
davidpm and chef2sail like this.

Please support my
Old 02-26-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

So what are some of those go-to recopies that work especially well on-board.
I suspect simpler is better, fewer steps and fewer ingredients and fast cooking on the burner or oven cooking.
There must be some dishes that you experienced cooks find work especially well both in the galley for preparation and in the cockpit for consumption.
Old 02-26-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I have taken up the habit of bringing along my own traveling spice pack when I go for an overnight weekend on my friends boat.

With a judicious use of spices, technique and ingredients I can even make Broccoli taste good but some people actually like simply steamed (yech!).

I took a Thai cooking course ...
That idea of bringing spices is interesting, that you you know you can make make the secrete sauce.

OK I'll bite (figuratively) what do you do to spice up Broccoli?

I like Thai too, we have a restaurant down the street and like their food.