Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: The definition of I can cook

"OK I'll bite (figuratively) what do you do to spice up Broccoli?"
Who says you need to??

Easy way, steam the broccoli not quite all the way. Then sprinkle or cover with thin sliced or grated cheese or your choice. Cheddar, parmesan, etc. with or without breadcrumbs, maybe a little butter.

Or, pan toast some sesame seeds, add with above, or alone. Or, toss some orange glaze (storebought in the chinese sauces section) on the broccoli and you're halfway to General Tso's...sesame seeds again optional. Pan toasted diced chilis if you want zing.

Lots of ways to go with any basic ingredient (like brocolli) and a good cook usually can look at what's on hand and figure out what will work together and what needs to be used up first. These days, there are also smartphone apps and computer apps that will let you say "I've got leftover lutefisk and rutebega, what can I make out of that?"

You can also pretty much pull together a stir-fry from anything, mixed diced fresh or frozen vegs and protein (shrimp, fish, chicken, pork or chops) and do it plain, as opposed to fancy sauces and flavors. And then some folks have a talent for stews and soups.

There are probably a number of good "leftovers cooks books" out there.

Of course for some crews--and cooks--a menu restricted to "Which Chef Boyardee are we opening tonight? And should I heat that up?" might be safer. (vbg)
rockDAWG likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
what do you do to spice up Broccoli?
Easy. Smother it in chocolate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Ah, Mark, that's strawberries, not brocolli, you smother in chocolate.

Otherwise, crew might get violent about the waste of fine chocolate.
Old 02-26-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Hellosailor has good suggestions for Broccoli. I like the simple approach for Broccoli as a side dish. Just cook Broccoli in water until tender, drain the water and add butter and salt.

If you want to use Broccoli as a main dish, blanch Broccoli and saute with satay sauce along with tenderized beef or shrimp.

http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/img/p.../lkk/satay.jpg

It is an easy meal on the boat, especaily when the engine is running with plenty of hot water. Take about 10 min or less.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-26-2013
Plausible Deniability

Thanks, dawg, but even if you've got full water tanks? I'd never cook broccoli "in" fresh water. Just put 1/4" in the bottom of the pan and cover, let it steam. Much better than boiled veggies.

I have a friend who boils veggies. I restrain myself from comment.

I think the only green thing I boil is lobster, and that's only because I don't have an autoclave to steam them in.
T37Chef likes this.
Old 02-26-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
On delivery you have to see the boat before you shop because you don't know what you have in terms of infrastructure (reefer, freezer, pots & pans, knives, appliances).
Been there and done that, LOL. Once upon the time, I showed up at the dock with all provisioning the nite before. Next morning to find out there were no pots and pans on board.

You just can't assume anything.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Hellosailor has good suggestions for Broccoli. I like the simple approach for Broccoli as a side dish. Just cook Broccoli in water until tender, drain the water and add butter and salt.

If you want to use Broccoli as a main dish, blanch Broccoli and saute with satay sauce along with tenderized beef or shrimp.

http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/img/p.../lkk/satay.jpg

It is an easy meal on the boat, especaily when the engine is running with plenty of hot water. Take about 10 min or less.
Remember with green veggies not to completely cover as the plant acids will ruin the color. I like broccoli with toasted poppy seed butter. It's also good with Gorgonzola crumbles ( kids love this).

I once when I was a chef years ago wrote corporate menus for a large consortium of retirement communities ( 2000 residents in them in white table cloth dining facilities). One of my the favorite veggies on the menu was the broccoli with brown butter and poppy seeds. Well as you know theseeople spend a lot of time at the Drs and getting tests. I got a call one day from the head physician that almost all of the residents were flagged showing opiates in their system....they traced it back to their veggies and the fact they loved them and ate tons of poppy seeds.
T37Chef, davidpm and Noclew like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-26-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Thanks, dawg, but even if you've got full water tanks? I'd never cook broccoli "in" fresh water. Just put 1/4" in the bottom of the pan and cover, let it steam. Much better than boiled veggies.

I have a friend who boils veggies. I restrain myself from comment.

I think the only green thing I boil is lobster, and that's only because I don't have an autoclave to steam them in.
Yes HS, I did it just like you said actually. I didn't mean to boil broccoli to death. I did not use the term "stream" becasue when streaming the broccoli has to be suspended above water, not in the water

All is good

Fine Print:
Old 02-26-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Remember with green veggies not to completely cover as the plant acids will ruin the color. I like broccoli with toasted poppy seed butter. It's also good with Gorgonzola crumbles ( kids love this).
Yes, I do like maintain the original green color and crispiness of the vegetable, so I do not use the cover indiscriminately. However, when cooking at sea, I do try to retain the heat as much as possible in galley , so use use cover more than at home. Regardless, once the water in pot is boiling, I remove the cover and stir the broccoli to let it cook evenly.

May be the is why I never have "cans" vegetable on board except can Mushroom.

Fine Print:
Old 02-27-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkamper View Post
I am learning to grow sprouts and make cheese.
Sprouts are great on longer trips. See Sprouting Jar - 3 Screen Lid Set . You can pack seeds in a Ball jar with the various screens and start at the beginning of the trip. By the time the lettuce is gone or liquid (yuck!) the sprouts are starting. Good stuff.

rockDAWG's "rules" are way off base. Too much depends on the boat and the passage.

If you have three aboard with everyone standing watch and one person doing the bulk of the heavy cooking his ideas work okay.

Bigger boat, longer trip, four aboard and skipper/cook with three watches 4 on/8 off, skipper first called and cook, then rotating cleaning is reasonable but the skipper should be pumping out 3 meals and a midnight plus keeping the snack bag going.

Bigger boat, crew of five or more with a dedicated cook the cook won't be standing a watch, is second called, pumps out three meals plus midnight, the snack bag, and all the cleaning.

In all cases when things are settled the cook can and should hand up tasks to the watch like peeling veg.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.