Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013

tomdemott is on a distinguished road
Outboard for Islander Bahama 28

Iím looking for an outboard motor for my Islander Bahama 28 that will power my dinghy and provide backup for the inboard yanmar diesel. The boat has a displacement of 7,000 pounds and ballast of 3,000. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: Outboard for Islander Bahama 28

Most of the time, outboards to power sailboats need to be long shafts. And that's not what you need on a dinghy.
How big is your dinghy and how much motor can it handle?
Old 02-24-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

We have a Cape Dory 27 with ~7,500lb displacement and we use a Tohatsu 6hp that works fine.

I tell some folks that and they look at me funny, but people love to buy massive outboards for their sailboats and generally don't need that much power. We actually run the motor at less than 20% throttle the majority of the time and it pushes us along at hull speed. In fact, we will probably sell it once we get an inboard and buy a 3 or 4 hp that's lighter and easier to take on and off the mount. Since it's our only source of powered propulsion right now, we're hanging on to it.
Old 02-24-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

I have used a 4 stroke honda 7.5, longshaft as the power for a former sailboat, a Rhodes 22, and now on our Marshall Cat. More than satisfactory for a light boat in fairly mild weather. I am glad I have the power of that motor on the small boat when strong currents are present. I would not trade an obm for the inboard in our 7,000# I-28. There are many times, given the boats potential range, having an inboard to help with the work and increase safety margins is the only thing that makes sense for me. Moving the boat around on a nice day. I suppose an obm would suffice.

That Honda is a hard working and reliable motor but I don't want to be using it to control the Islander. There are times when I wish the A=4 had a little more power.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 02-24-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdemott View Post
Iím looking for an outboard motor for my Islander Bahama 28 that will power my dinghy and provide backup for the inboard yanmar diesel. The boat has a displacement of 7,000 pounds and ballast of 3,000. Any suggestions?
tell me more about the diesel and the dinghy. For example an 8' dinghy will be overpowered by an OB suitable for the Islander, and as previously mentioned, the shaft length is an issue, and a well maintained yanmar diesel will be more reliable than many outboards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Time to feed. fellahs!

Anything past 9.9HP would be a waste of money. You're more or less limited by your hull speed which is in the 7 knots range so you'll use say 25% of a large motors power to get to 7 knots, 50 % to get to 9 knots and 100% to get to 11 knots. (I made up the values but you get the idea) At full power, the motor mount pulls off the transom and sends $4000 of motor to the bottom. So, I'd suggest getting an 8HP +/- 4-stroke. Check the motor mount manufacturer to be sure that it can take it. Electric start is nice and a take-off from the coil, to charge your battery. But, they're more money/weight too.

For the dingy (this is where the SN sharks begin to feed! Bring it!) Use a good sized trolling motor and battery, unless you cruise extensively. There's nothing like whispering up to the dock, or past a loon, sneaking by an egret fishing, or NOT waking the neighbors while you motor home from a romantic walk in the harbor town. I buy $100 throw away motors that last 5 plus years in salt water as opposed to paying $500 for a Riptide. If you prefer a gas motor, I've seen folks with 3HP Sears & Roebuck Gamefishers that do pretty well. But still, if you have the money, a small 4 stroke around 4 HP would do well here.
Old 02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
At full power, the motor mount pulls off the transom and sends $4000 of motor to the bottom.
FWIW our Tohatsu 4-stroke 6hp was $1500 new w/ a 3 yr warranty. It also has a small alternator, but no push start.

Not that you want to send it to the bottom, but there's no way I'd pay $4,000 for an outboard on a sailboat.
Old 02-25-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

No, no, I was talking about putting like a 15 horse on the back expecting to hit 20 knots! A decent, new 8HP is about $2500. 'been lookin'.
Old 02-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
A decent, new 8HP is about $2500. 'been lookin'.
Again, I wouldn't even pay that much. Most of the 2-strokes I was looking at were in the $600-$800 range, for 8-10hp.

If you want 4-stroke, you should be able to find a relatively new one for a lot less than $2500. I'm not entirely convinced 8hp is necessary, though. If you lived near me, I'd let you try it and see, but maybe you can find someone that'll let you strap the motor on and try it out?
Old 02-26-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

4hp will get you around just fine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.