Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat missing off CA coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Perhaps the "cousin" was an orphan with no concerned mother or father or aunt or uncles (other than the erst-while sailors of course). Or, if not an orphan, a family of semi-recluses that doesn't get news papers or listen to the radio or watch the Dumb Box and so hasn't a clue that their little darling is endangered... I Don't Think So..
I'm sensing some sarcasm.

Maybe in Tampa everyone walks around with iphones, updating twitter every 30 seconds, then liking stuff on facebook, while swiping debit cards at starbucks and then blogging about it. It's kinda naive to think that everyone is that plugged into society.

I have no idea if that is true here, but it's possible that this group was living on the margins of society and no one is yet missing them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
I'm sensing some sarcasm.

Maybe in Tampa everyone walks around with iphones, updating twitter every 30 seconds, then liking stuff on facebook, while swiping debit cards at starbucks and then blogging about it. It's kinda naive to think that everyone is that plugged into society.

I have no idea if that is true here, but it's possible that this group was living on the margins of society and no one is yet missing them.
?
Attached Thumbnails
Sailboat missing off CA coast-150047-charlie-brown-039-s-moving-house.jpg  
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 02-26-2013

Belisana is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard suspends search for missing boaters, citing possible hoax

Coast Guard suspends search for missing boaters, citing possible hoax - CNN.com
Old 02-26-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

The good news is that (assuming it was a hoax) no lives were lost; if true, it sounded like a bad situation.

But I hope they catch the guys who made the hoax call. I know that some people here have had a poor experience with the USCG, but I am sure all would agree that their rescue services are outstanding, and wasting those folk's time and resources is 'a very bad thing' (I'm kinda at a loss for polite words). I hope they find the person and make them pay the bill. Every penny.
Old 02-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Good to hear no one lost life. Hopefully the CG catches the scoundrels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-26-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

I'm glad it's not a real Mayday. And I hope they catch the b*&^%#d who thought this was a good idea. Some crewmember on some vessel with a good radio, and probably without AIS?
Old 02-26-2013

Belisana is on a distinguished road

If the pranksters (I feel that's an understatement as it's much more than a 'prank') were on a passing ship with AIS, there's a good chance that the ship can be identified. If they had only made one call, maybe not. But they at least made two, about 50 minutes apart. A rough calculation of average distance travelled and the passing time between two calls should narrow down the possibilities, I would think. Or hope.
Old 02-26-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

If it was a hoax you kinda wonder how the call was made. CG has pretty good VHF radio direction finding equipment so you would think call did come from 65 miles out. And conditions were gale force, so who ever made the call must be an experienced seaman. Why would someone mess around making hoax calls in those conditions.

In any case, hope it was a hoax and no lives lost.
Old 02-26-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
If my boat were taking on water and I didn't have a life raft I would stay with her until the cabin top was awash especially if the water is 50F. I think most people would - especially if they had their wife and 4yo offspring and another kid along.

Now with that scenario the time would have been long past when there was any possibility of using an installed VHF radio to transmit a mayday. The batteries would be six feet underwater and shorting out through the sea water circuit and the radio would be flooded.

So a handheld VHF would be the transmit device.

A handheld is generally 5W max. In 40 years of using VHF I have never had anywhere NEAR performance that allowed comms using a handheld at 40-65 miles.

Based on this I am inclined to think that there's something "off" in the story somehow. Hoax? Perhaps.
Depending on the height of the CG receiving station on land plus the height of the antenna, in addition if they are using a directional antenna, a range up to 65 miles might be possible.
Old 02-26-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard suspends search for missing sailboat, possible hoax ( link )
Coast Guard officials said they have been unable to pinpoint the location where a distress call originated reporting what was said to be a sinking sailboat in the ocean south of San Francisco.

On Tuesday, the Coast Guard suspended its search for four people, including two young children, and began investigating the possibility that the call may have been a hoax.

Searchers using aircraft and sea vessels found “no signs of distress, no signs of debris, no reports of missing people,” Coast Guard spokesman Mike Lutz said.

“We are looking for additional information. We handle every situation like it’s a life threatening situation unless we are 100% sure it’s a hoax.”