SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailboat missing off CA coast (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/96960-sailboat-missing-off-ca-coast.html)

caberg 02-25-2013 08:19 AM

Sailboat missing off CA coast

Anyone know any other details? I hate to read the part about two young kids.

Two children among four missing off coast of San Francisco - CNN.com

Fstbttms 02-25-2013 08:55 AM

Re: Sailboat missing off CA coast

This smacks of a hoax. I hope it is.

svHyLyte 02-25-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fstbttms (Post 994658)
This smacks of a hoax. I hope it is.

I hate to say it but, in this case, I also hope it is a hoax and, if so, that the hoaxter is caught and strung up from a yard-arm. If not....I don't even want to think about it.

caberg 02-25-2013 10:07 AM

There's enough specifics in this report to make me think it's not a hoax: Two adults, two children missing after abandoning sailboat off California coast - U.S. News

The hoaxes that have occurred around here are usually one non-specific "mayday" either by a kid or drunk person playing around.

I can't imagine those poor kids being put in a situation like that.

dabnis 02-25-2013 12:41 PM

Curious why it may be a hoax? Insurance or?, lack of an EPIRB signal? The CG may be able to determine the general location of the transmission? If it is real they are in heap big trouble:

Northern California NOAA/CDIP Buoy Data

Coastal Waters Forecast for Waters from Cape Mendocino to Pt. Arena CA from 10 to 60 nm (PZZ475)

Paul T

MarkofSeaLife 02-25-2013 01:50 PM

Iin 2 forums you guys have claimed this a hoax.

I would hate to need to get rescued if you lot were in the Coast Guard!

Just imagine a 4 year old and an 8 year old drowing while your fingers are doing the talking?

Sickning!

PCP 02-25-2013 01:52 PM

If it is not a hoax I hope they will be picked up in time. And after that I hope the authorities to persecute the fathers to endanger their children.

Going offshore in a 29ft boat in this time of the year with a warning of bad weather and without carrying an Epirp is criminal negligence in what regards the safety of the children.

Fstbttms 02-25-2013 01:56 PM

Reasons why this may be a hoax:

1.- 65 miles offshore in a small boat with 2 little kids in rough conditions in the middle of winter with no EPIRB and no PFDs? Who does that?

2.- "Electronics" conveniently failing. No further response necessary on the part of the hoaxer.

3.- Nobody has reported a boat and crew overdue.

4.- The CG does not know the boat's departure point or destination.

BTW, MarkofSeaLife- for all we know the Coasties suspect this is a hoax as well. That doesn't mean they aren't going to make every effort. They are, of course. That's what they are there for.

nkamper 02-25-2013 02:40 PM

I did not even think hoax when I read about this today. I thought, "What a terrible tragedy!". That water is so cold, if you're not found immediately you cannot survive. But a number of you made some good supporting arguments for a hoax. A very selfish hoax if it is.

paul323 02-25-2013 02:40 PM

I certainly hope it is a hoax. Last couple of days we have had some"nice" winter winds (gusting 20+); and that is inside the bay. Outside, with temperatures colder, waves bigger, gusts stronger, I would not be out in a boat that small unless I was well prepared.