Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

BillOcala is on a distinguished road
Re: Ana Capri or Anacapri?

Still working on trailer registration. This boat hasn't gone anywhere in a LONG time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2013

Dadrose is on a distinguished road

I was looking for info about the boat I was just given and found your post. My erika 24 is in pretty bad shape. We will be towing her to waldo soon. If your not far from 75 maybe we could swing by and compare. Can't figure out yet how to post the pic.
Old 03-14-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

There is nothing out there about this boat. This one seems pretty intact. The guy I bought it from is still sorting out the trailer registration but I am hopefully he will do so this weekend (he works for UPS and that shoots doing anything Monday - Friday so this has gone on longer than I had hoped).

I would like to see yours to compare how things are on that boat, and Ocala is right on I-75 - where I will be working on the boat is only maybe 5 miles east of the highway. Pictures are easy here use the paperclip icon and post as an attachment. Very interested in seeing your rudder assembly in particular.
Old 03-25-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

I have never done a blog before - but I figured this project would be perfect for one. So here it is (not much there yet)

1975 Erika 24 Daysailer by Anacapri - A Restoration
Old 03-25-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I see a lot of work in your future.. hopefully it will all be worth it

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

I'm about 95% sure from the pics you posted that there is one that'll se across the street from the vero beach municipal marina mooring dock. It kind of imediatley caught my eye. I will remember this thread and hopefully post a picture of it and maybe get some info from the owner. He was washing it and waxing it when I saw it so I'm guessing he takes care if it and what not. Might have some good poop to share regarding the design etc
Old 03-26-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

That would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
I'm about 95% sure from the pics you posted that there is one that'll se across the street from the vero beach municipal marina mooring dock. It kind of imediatley caught my eye. I will remember this thread and hopefully post a picture of it and maybe get some info from the owner. He was washing it and waxing it when I saw it so I'm guessing he takes care if it and what not. Might have some good poop to share regarding the design etc
Old 03-26-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

First challenge. They through-bolted the hardware instead of using screws. The nuts (assuming there are nuts) are hidden by the inner liner and are not accessible.

Has anyone ever seen a deck with multiple thickness of fiberglass? I am suspicious that is what I am looking at here. The curved sides between the top and the side of the deck are for sure 1/4" fiberglass as I was able to measure inside a hole. But the actual top of the deck where you walk I think deflects too easy to be 1/4" - and this is where you can hear wood cracking inside when you walk on it.
Old 05-28-2013

lil barby is on a distinguished road

BillOcala

I owned an erica 24 from 1980 to 2000. Enjoyed the heck out of it. However I poured a lot of work into it. Kept in a wet slip it developed blisters all over the underside. the epoxy co. advised me to remove all gel coat below the waterline, then 5 coats of epoxy and paint. Worked well. Deck had a soft spot under a stanchion, as you know it's balsa cored. Gave that the epoxy treatment with a series of small holes and a syringe. chainplate holes started to loosen, so I bored the holes oversize, filled with eopxy , redrilled and thru bolted with s.s. backing plates.Carefully modified rudder to kickup as our water in stuart is skinny.Found raising or lowering the mast not to difficult with another person and right rigging,. Ballast on this boat is 850 lbs. stub keel and centerboard. Pay attention to the cable on the board regarding replacement time, also ballast is epoxy cement with iron punchings. Boat was left unattended on shore during vacation, rainwater pooled in stern and started to swell ballast under the aft compartment in the cabin, causing me to cut the floor , remove the rusty ballast and repair.This boat will sail upwind closely. It was designed by eric goetz himself as a MORC, midget ocean racer, I never sailed it under,but can be overpowered in over 20.
BillOcala likes this.
Old 05-28-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience with the boat! I am still going at it slowly but surely. I have much of the upper deck skin removed and I have cleaned out all of the rotten balsa. I am ready to beginning installing the new balsa core now. Of course now the weather is not so cooperative in the afternoons so I am restricted to weekends days (when I am not on call ) pretty much.

My rudder seems new - it is all wood carved into an airfoil shape. It has two hole, one in what would appear to be the pivot point, and another where I plan to use wood dowel break-away pins. Is that sort of what you did?

What size of outboard did you use?