Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

BillOcala is on a distinguished road
Re: Ana Capri or Anacapri?

A guy found a bigger one of these for sale in Arkansas. Some good pictures there which gave me some ideas.
27' Sailboat & Trailer Yamaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2013

lil barby is on a distinguished road

BillOcala,

My rudder was attached to the shaft with 2 horizontal holes. I had to notch the aft end at the top about 5x5 inches and just used 1 bolt so it would trip if grounded. I finally got an 8 hp. sailmaster suzuki. it had apretty large prop with shallow pitch,HEAVEN, I had complete control.Hang in with the repairs, sure you will enjoy the boat. best of luck. Bill
Old 09-30-2013

74anacapri is on a distinguished road

Have you located the centerboard pivot pin? I have a lovely 1974 that is in great shape, but the board is getting sticky, I fear it is developing the same problem shown in your photo. The fiberglass centerboard trunk gives no indication where the pin may be.
Old 10-02-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74anacapri View Post
Have you located the centerboard pivot pin? I have a lovely 1974 that is in great shape, but the board is getting sticky, I fear it is developing the same problem shown in your photo. The fiberglass centerboard trunk gives no indication where the pin may be.

That is next on my list. I bought one of those "Snake" cameras, but I couldn't tell enough externally to learn anything useful. If you find out anything about the mounting structure under the cockpit liner I would love any photos or info you find.

I would love any photos you have of your boat. Do you have a website or a blog for it yet?
Old 10-02-2013

I'll take some better photos next time we're out.
This boat is in excellent shape. Bought in 1986 in South Florida, Biscayne Bay. Has been in fresh water since we moved to Virginia in 1990, and sailed regularly pretty much year round.
It was originally yellow topsides over black hull, when it chalked I repainted with white topsides/grey nonslip over black hull. Years past, whenever I saw one of these, they were always in colorful combinations.
The deck has remained tight, so no balsa decay there. I did have to repair and reinforce the transom around the motor mount.
Original companionway and forward hatches. It stays in the water, so I rarely raise the centerboard, but it has been getting gradually stickier for the last few years. I'll need to do something about that.
My trailer seems to be an exact copy of yours.
I consider this a rock solid little boat. I can singlehand with double reef main and my smallest jib, sometimes feeling barely under control, when no one else will leave the marina. With a long shaft the prop is deep enough to stay in the water in a short swell. In a mid breeze the fin keel guys can usually take me, but I can often push this boat harder than they can.
Never had any problems with attachments, chainplates, that didn't announce themselves as expected.
Anyway, I hope you get half the satisfaction out of your project. You'll deserve it after that much work.
Attached Thumbnails
Ana Capri or Anacapri?-dsc02786.jpg   Ana Capri or Anacapri?-dsc02798.jpg  
BillOcala likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 74anacapri For This Useful Post:
BillOcala (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

That is a pretty boat. Mine has had a lot harder life. I am very unhappy with the home built hatches the previous owner put on. If you could get good pictures of your hatches that would be a help as I attempt to replace them. I dont know if I will ever find that trapezoid shaped forward hatch though. I almost cut that one out and made a new opening (I might still have to go that way later).

I really like your stern railing too. That is also on my list.

I am still not sure about my rudder. I think mine is probably not original. How does yours attach? Mine just has two mounting holes on the top that mate with a stainless steel bracket. There is no easy way to raise it from inside the boat. Is yours the same way?

What winches did your boat come with? Someone removed the winches from this boat and covered up the screw holes. I assume it had winches at some point (has a genoa and a spinnaker in inventory) but if it did they did a good job covering up the holes.

It is good to learn there is at least 1 more operational Erika out there! We are the last ones I think!
Old 10-03-2013

Here are a couple of images of the forward hatch. A trapezoid teak frame with plexi plate. I replaced the original hinges with standard hatch hinges from Jamestown Dist. Note the big rubber bumpers to keep the boys from dropping the hatch and destroying things.

The stern rail is homebrew. Formed with stainless rail and a standard conduit bender. I wanted it low enough to be a good backrest when lounging in the cockpit. It is easy to crawl into the transom area under the cockpit at the back of the boat to install backing blocks and thrubolts, so it is satisfying sturdy.

Rudder is original. It has two holes to match the two holes in the stainless rudderstock end. One for a stainless thrubolt and one for a wooden shear pin. Normally, I leave it this way so it won't fold in heavy weather. When I know I'm in shallow water, I remove the wooden pin and tighten the stainless bolt. That way it will kick up easy....and if really gunkholing I can stand on the motor mount, dip my foot under the rudder, and hinge it up manually if needed. I never needed to rig an uphaul for this.

Yes, simple single speed winches. Not really needed for most daysailing, I usually just use two camcleats on the cabin top for the working jib. In a breeze with the big genoa the winches are pretty necessary. I'll have to check the brand.

I'll be on the road for the next week or so, will take some detailed photos when I get back. I just painted the interior overhead with white enamel, it was old and stained, and I got a cool small kerosene lamp to hang. I've got full remote controls on the Johnson 9.9 sailmaster, which makes life easy, but need to service the cables for easy shifting. Mounted a small solar panel on the small aft deck, I often sail back into the slip so the motor never seems to run enough to keep the battery topped off.

Yes, there is always something to do. But usually just a little at a time and I can usually stay ahead and my wife doesn't holler. Hmmmm - Now, about that worn-out mainsail.....

I hope that once you get yours in shape, you can also get past the hole-in-the-water stage and have a good, solid boat.

I've considered replacing this boat many times over the years. But it is so tough and reliable, it performs plenty good for my taste, it has a huge cockpit and a generous cabin (due to the flush deck forward, like a chrysler 22, there is one in my marina, I can whup him), with the stub keel it sails with the board up (though it won't point as high). So I always talk myself out of it. One the boys are gone I may move up to a diesel inboard, but not yet.

Will post more photos when I get back. We're coming into the best sailing time here, cool days with warm sun and stiff fall breezes.
Attached Thumbnails
Ana Capri or Anacapri?-dsc02783.jpg   Ana Capri or Anacapri?-dsc00252.jpg   Ana Capri or Anacapri?-dsc00244.jpg   Ana Capri or Anacapri?-dsc00048.jpg  
Old 10-03-2013

sorry wrong image, here is the right one. Hard to believe this one is in college now. Shoot, I'm getting old.
Attached Thumbnails
Ana Capri or Anacapri?-dsc00248.jpg  
Old 10-04-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

Thank you for a ton of good information! I think I can build that hatch - I had something similar in my mind as an option if I couldn't find one (and I cant). That gives me something to go by now which keeps the boat somewhat "original".

I see from what I can see of your cockpit hatch, that it is a bi-fold arrangement. My previous owner had made a one piece slide in door panel - which is always in the way. I will be wanting to try to replace that too I already can tell.

I think your boat is pretty much the flagship of what remains of the line - you have done a great job with it! I look forward to any other pictures you get!
Old 10-14-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

Would you have any pictures of your rudder? I was in a nice blow and my rudder snapped along the SS mounting. I was healed over pretty good with mainand genoa flying. Let me tell you, it got a little too exciting for a minute there before I was able to release some sail!

(Looks like an old stress crack because the broken material had a weathered surface). Anyway I need to replace it - likely rebuild one from scratch, so any detail you can provide would be a life saver!
Attached Thumbnails
Ana Capri or Anacapri?-remnant.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.