Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013

74anacapri is on a distinguished road
Re: Ana Capri or Anacapri?

Yes, I'll take some. Rain this weekend, so didn't go out. Will try next.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

BillOcala is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74anacapri View Post
Yes, I'll take some. Rain this weekend, so didn't go out. Will try next.
That would be awesome. I have some really nice african mahogany on order and a woodworking friend who is excited to do the project.

FWIW - You may be interested to know of the original rudder's construction. It was made of one layer glass cloth over some sort of smooth core but filled with air voids (concrete?). This then had a finish gelcoat layer.

The previous owner had a sloppy paint job on it so I had previously guessed wrong on it's construction. I hated to find out this way - but now I have a rudder cross section for you
Attached Thumbnails
Ana Capri or Anacapri?-rudder-cross-section.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

Going to take our best guess at dimensions. I know the design is NACA 12 which helps a little bit, but I don't remember how it tapered.
Old 10-21-2013

Here are some rudder photos. Thanks for the info about interior construction. I also wonder how the centerboard is built up, and if it has a lot of weight added.
Also included is a photo of an emergency rudder I made years ago, it slips onto gudgeons on the transom. The tiller is an old sawed off paddle handle that fits into a slot at the top. Must have been tense when your rudder failed.
Attached Thumbnails
Ana Capri or Anacapri?-rudder-1.jpg   Ana Capri or Anacapri?-rudder-2.jpg   Ana Capri or Anacapri?-emerg-rudder-tiller.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013

Some more images.

The companionway is original, Usually sail with the upper hatch off, the louvers are nice when it is warm, the doors stay out of the way, but don't stop cold. Needs teak oil. Those are new cam cleats for the jib sheets, I had to adjust the angle on them several times so they would release under load, but not too easily. The jib fairlead blocks are original, and could use replacing.

The interior used to have a folding table, I took it out and don't put in the bunk cushions unless needed. Overhead painted with white enamel.

Forward I added the deep drawer under the v berth to keep spare parts. The sink is nonoperational and used to store refreshing beverages. I put a seacock on the sink drain.

I added the big bumpers to the forward hatch to improve ventilation with the hatch closed. Also saves wear and tear when someone drops it closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Ana Capri or Anacapri?-aft-interior.jpg   Ana Capri or Anacapri?-companionway-1.jpg   Ana Capri or Anacapri?-hatch-1.jpg   Ana Capri or Anacapri?-fwd-interior.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to 74anacapri For This Useful Post:
BillOcala (10-22-2013)
Old 10-21-2013

Couple more images.

Aft deck with small solar panel and full remote controls to outboard. I needed the 9.9 Sailmaster when in Fla, but would get by fine with 6 hp now. I can often sail back into the slip, so I run the motor so little I've had trouble keeping the battery topped off.

About the big locker under the companionway.... I once heard that Anacapri sized this space, just aft of the keel, to hold a Saildrive. Dunno if anyone ever made use of this. I cut the bottom out of the locker and installed a removable bottom to allow access to the bilge.

Small Lewmar genoa winches.
Attached Thumbnails
Ana Capri or Anacapri?-locker-under-cockpit.jpg   Ana Capri or Anacapri?-transom.jpg   Ana Capri or Anacapri?-winch.jpg  
Old 10-22-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

Quote:
Must have been tense when your rudder failed.

Actually it was - the boat ended up doing a little bit of a 180 as I had a pretty good load on the sails at the time

Thanks for the photos - they sort of confrm another guys recollection as to the shape of the rudder. I think I remember how tall it was, pretty close anyway.

Emergency rudder a great idea - I was thinking of making one at least for the existing mount while I am constructing things and all.

Nice pictures of the other parts! Those will really help with the next phases.

The centerboard is a bit of a mystery to me still too. While the boat was out of the water I stuck a camera into the well and I have hollow areas in mine but I couldn't figure out what was supposed to be in there. It is a fiberglass jacket and I could see that a PO had tried to put external straps on the exterior of that jacket. I have a suspicion that there was a concrete and iron scrap filled core that is supposed to be in there - but I have no proof yet and I was very limited with the video camera I had (it could not take still pictures so I could only see thru the lil 1" screen - so it was marginally useful and this area is largely a mystery to me too).

We start rudder construction tomorrow I will take pictures as we go.
Old 10-22-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

These are super pictures - I see I have misc. some missing parts I didn't know about. Good idea with the table. MIne is still the original and I really don't think I need the "wings" as much as more walking by space. A very nice boat!

Do you have any problems with where to get all the water out of the bilge? I have a stubborn puddle that wants get under the cabin floor that I think I will need to do something about.
Old 10-23-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

Quote:
Here are some rudder photos. Thanks for the info about interior construction. I also wonder how the centerboard is built up, and if it has a lot of weight added.
Also included is a photo of an emergency rudder I made years ago, it slips onto gudgeons on the transom. The tiller is an old sawed off paddle handle that fits into a slot at the top. Must have been tense when your rudder failed.
These look pretty close? I tried to extrapolate from my remnant and scaling off parts of your photos. I think it is too "fat" but this will work for the initial ripping and gluing tonight I think. Then I can cut/sand down from there to a more finished shape. (My plan anyway).

The mahogany was too nice - I am going to use that beautiful wood to make hatch and door parts instead. We are going with Cedar after reading a Gungeon (sp?) Brothers article on Rudder and Center board construction I found.
Attached Thumbnails
Ana Capri or Anacapri?-prototype1a.jpg   Ana Capri or Anacapri?-prototype1.jpg  
Old 10-23-2013

These look beautiful. The leading edge on my rudder is straight, the subtle curve on your template is sweet.

The boat design doesn't seem to suffer from rudder responsiveness, even when driven hard, so I wouldn't worry about the area. Looks good.

Think about adding an attachment or hole on the trailing edge for an uphaul. When coming into shallow water, you could lift the keel and pull up the rudder, and nose right up to the sand. For me, I gotta stand on the motor mount and tuck my foot under the rudder and pull up. Just a thought.

Make sure the rudder won't hit the bottom edge of the transom when fully up. Looks like you already thought about this. Sometime over the years I managed to crack that sharp edge at the bottom of the transom, had to fill and fair it.

I went a couple of seasons messing with mast rake to see if I could learn anything about balance and weather helm. My only conclusion was to keep a little aft rake and if I'm smart enough I can ok balance to either jib or genoa with main full or reefed. Any remaining problems are due to the skipper, not the rudder.