Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013

claudino is on a distinguished road
railing stanchions leaks and repair?

Hi everybody,
i'm new here (and in sailing in general) and i apologize if this has been discussed already. I have seen some threads of similar topics but couldn't find a satisfying answer.

Due to heavy rain , my O'day 272 has started to show bad signs of leakage from (at least so it appears) the railing stanchions. Some rust, wet sides, black spots, etc..

Now while i think i know how to re-seal the responsible areas, i do not know if there is anyway to "dry" what has been damaged already. I'm concerned about infiltration in the core, and I would like to try to get to a level where no further damage happens, with rotten parts, etc.

Any suggestion? I know it depends on the level of damage , but it's hard to tell.

I know that some part of interior sides are now blackened (mildew, i suppose).

Many thanks for your help

Thanks
Claudio
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: railing stanchions leaks and repair?

Is the mildew on a carpet-like liner material? on cushions? It sounds like a fairly long standing moisture issue.

Job one is to fix the leaks, plenty of threads on that business already.

A surveyor, a moisture meter and a tap sounding may help you determine if there's moisture and/or delam in the deck core, it should be quite obvious esp around the suspected trouble spots. If you're lucky the leaks leaked into the boat without seriously damaging and migrating into the core.... IF......

Mildew can be difficult to remove, esp on absorbant materials that can't be removed and properly washed, but if the moisture problem isn't resolved first, you're fighting a losing battle. Once the source of all the moisture is dealt with, try some heat and a serious dehumidifier for several weeks and see how things look after that.

If the core is compromised, well, again, there are plenty of threads on that subject and you've really got your work cut out for you.. Best of luck!

.. and welcome to Sailnet...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-25-2013

ScottyG24 is on a distinguished road

Claudio, I have a 1988 272 myself and have been down this road. First spend the time resealing each stanchion and all your deck hardware with 3M 4200/5200 etc (check curing temps as youll need at least 40f) It took me several work days to seal them all. Dont forget the chain plate hardware,winch mountings,abd fills for fuel, freshwater etc and the thru hulls at the aft of the cockpit and in the anchor box. Take your time and use a modeling paint brush to do a neat job. Dont foget to check the torque on all the screws/bolts when your done. Ine youve confirmed youve stopped fresh water at the suspect fittings you can clean the cabin/hull side material withgood carpet cleaner.Air out the boat as much as possible. Temporarily run a dehumidifyer uf you have power and maybe a solar fan to keep dry air coming in. its time consuming but easy work. Take your time to do a neat job and clean all surfaces with acetone to remove old sealant dirt etc before you lay in new sealant. Remember everything that goes thru the deck is always suspect but if you check while its raining hard or just after or just look at the staining most leaks are easy to find. Good luck. Youll be amazed how the interior will cleanup with carpet cleaner when u are done. elblow grease
Old 02-25-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Please don't use 42/5200 for those jobs... Butyl tape works wonders, and there are other less permanent sealants that are better suited (what if one doesn't quite take and you have to redo it? Not likely if you've used 5200)

4200 and esp 5200 sealants/adhesives are really only for seriously PERMANENT installations.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-25-2013

Fair enough. Butly tape is probably a more user friendly option but i have no experience with it. I mentioned 3Ms products only as they worked very well for me,fixed the issu,passed the test of time,temp extremes and UV and im comfortable working with them.
Old 02-26-2013

claudino is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot for the advice, Faster and ScottyG24. Very appreciated.

I think i will go for the Butyl tape: found a few videos on youtube EXACTLY for what i need to do it.
Now , once the leak will be , hopefully, stopped, i will try to dry and clean inside.
I have a dehumidifier (and power available at the slip): but been on the water, i question if that would really be able to do something. Anyone who tried that?

And Scotty, since the carpet cleaner you used worked wonders, do you remember the brand? (hope i'm not breaking any forum rule asking for that).
Also, as far as i know vinegar works for mildew, but only on a "solid" surface, and not on an absorbent one, or?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Please don't use 42/5200 for those jobs... Butyl tape works wonders, and there are other less permanent sealants that are better suited (what if one doesn't quite take and you have to redo it? Not likely if you've used 5200)

4200 and esp 5200 sealants/adhesives are really only for seriously PERMANENT installations.
The Oday (and Pearson) Stancheon bases are always a problem to seal. Even Butyl Tape will have some difficulty 'sticking' to the polished stainless bases; Polysulphide, 4200 and 5200 wont 'stick' at all for very long. Best is to put a thin coat of SILICONE onto the bottom of the stancheon bases and let fully CURE; after the silicone 'film' cures, use butyl tape in the CHAMFERED bolt holes ... do insure that the deck holes are 'chamfered', if not do so. If you dont have easy access to Butyl tape, use SILICONE.

Last edited by RichH; 02-26-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Go for solid stainless boiler tubing for the top rail, and drastically reduce loads and movement on the bases.
Old 02-28-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Go for solid stainless boiler tubing for the top rail, and drastically reduce loads and movement on the bases.
And drastically reduce the appearance of your boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-11-2013

It was called LA totally awesome carpet stain remover. i know its a stupid name but it worked and so did the 4200 quite honestly. i should mention i prepped both surfaces quite thoroughly and cleaned with acetone as i final prep before sealing. Good luckno matter what product you use. the key i think either way is take your time and like painting its all about the prep