Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013
Oceanis 381

aquaholic is on a distinguished road
US Boats v UK Boats

Donít intend this to be a pi**ing contest of any kind, more of a curious enquiry. Having experience of UK and European boats only I wonder about the main differences between the design styles of the 2 continents. For example what would $30K-50K buy you in the states as opposed to the UK in terms of a good solid seaworthy cruiser? I know most of the main Euro boats are available in the states, more interested in the older GRP US designs. For instance here in the UK, Contessa, Twister, Rival, are some of the the main go anywhere boats around 30ft and wondered what their equivalent would be in the states?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: US Boats v UK Boats

Its so different for example with the tides over there the twin bilge keel deal thats so common over there is really rare over here

The rest of it is just comparing brands of cars as there is plenty of good and bad on both sides

The big thing in the EUs favor when buying a new boat is in the USA there is pretty much no consumer protection even close to what we take for granted on a car costing a small fraction of a boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

Speaking slightly off topic, French, and European boats up for sale in the US are sold at a considerable discount. And since they are, go anywhere type boats, returning them to Europe would make the the trip free. A double discount would be entering it in the Quebec-St. Malo Transat race, to get home.

Last edited by sony2000; 02-26-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Boats at the lower end of the market are cheaper over in the Caribbean and the states. Esp anything out of the ordinary eg a Westerly Tiger or a French steel boat.

Many bargains around.

EG A Biscay 36 rough but all there and sailing for £10k
Old 02-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Your "Jaguars" are mostly Catalinas built under license... Your "Trappers" are C&Cs in a similar fashion. I think US Hunters are sold as Legends there, (there's also a British Hunter)

In the 80s I don't think there's a lot of difference across the pond.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-26-2013
Oceanis 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony2000 View Post
Speaking slightly off topic, French, and European boats up for sale in the US are sold at a considerable discount. And since they are go anywhere type boats returning them to Europe would make the the trip free. A double discount would be entering it in the Quebec-St. Malo Transat race, to get home.
Good point but I wonder how much would be saved after paying the V.A.T (Tax) in the EU and also the cost of getting the boat CE marked for use in the EU
Old 02-26-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Generally you can get better prices on boats with less than 10 years in Europe, specially in Spain and Italy. Old boats with more than 25 years tend to be more cheap in the US.

The differences regarding 4 or 5 year old boats are so big that it would be interesting to buy one in Europe and sail it to the states. Most of the boats with 4 or 5 years would need very little to be prepared for the journey.

Regarding old boats, perceptually the difference can be big but their value is reduced (so it is not as much money as on a newer boat) and you will have to spend a lot of money and time to put the boat in conditions to cross the pond.

Unless you have a place to live and work on the boat and can stay for a considerable amount of time, I don't think it will be worth it even if I heard of some French that had done that (they had staid there a lot of time fixing the boat).

Old 02-26-2013
Oceanis 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Your "Jaguars" are mostly Catalinas built under license... Your "Trappers" are C&Cs in a similar fashion. I think US Hunters are sold as Legends there, (there's also a British Hunter)

In the 80s I don't think there's a lot of difference across the pond.
Thats why I didnt mention them, was just interested to see what other builds there may be. Am familiar with the Island Packet and Hunter Legends (as they are called here), always seems to be some doubt about the sailing abilities of the Legends on the Forums, but cannot comment as I have neither owned one or sailed one, although I experienced the luxury of one at the Boat Show once.
Old 02-26-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

There are several US builders that might be worth suggesting besides those already mentioned, though many have gone out of business, leaving some well-built boats behind. Pearson is one example. Tartan - still in business last I heard - might compare to Moody, along with Sabre. Bristol Yachts boast nicer joinery than those two, but they have stopped building. Practical Sailor once suggested that a J/35 might be one of the few production boats that they'd consider taking Transatlantic, so check out J/Boats. Their larger designs are more comfortable for cruising, but are also pricier. Like J/Boats, but on the west coast, Express Yachts focused more on racing designs, but put their boats together well too. You might come across some S2's too, though they tend to be smaller boats. Lots of builders. Have fun.