Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Halyards to cockpit?

delta-
If you have the luxury of time and space, you can always put the boat in irons, stall it out and go forward to deal with the sails. Ditto for raising the main, then going ot the helm, and dealing with the joib when there's time and space, assuming you can lock the wheel so the boat will stay on course while you're forward.
If things are going to be crowded, being able to handle things from the helm may be more important. Best thing to do is have a couple of chinese fire drills in some empty water, see where and how far the boat moves, see if your comfort zone calls for staying on the helm.

And of course, downeast has been spoiled rotten by his I28. An I28 is so well balanced that the guy at the helm is just a figurehead. (G)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

I am spoiled. I want everything. All controls in the cockpit. Give me an electric winch , I will take it. Give me a remote control auto helm, I take it. Give me a lazy boy arm armchair in place of helm seat, I take it.

I am a simple man, I like toys.
jimrafford likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-26-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

got lousy knees. all past boats have every possible line lead aft. Even the jib halyards when possible even though they are on roller furling( that way can adjust tension). Agree with Jon and every couple of weeks re reeve the lines. Takes the twist out of them and makes me look at them for troubles. Main sheet is always the one with the most twist. Humbly disagree with Jon about electric winches. Find don't need the motor in the beginning and like to feel the tension in the line at the end so hand crank that part but it's a joy in the middle. Mostly "single" as one of us is either down below, up in the bow daydreaming or sleeping.

Jon- Please remember -it's us broken up, fat old men that keep you virile,young studs in business. Tending to the lines before the transport shouldn't be that big a deal when our oldtimer's disease kicks in and we forget- LOL
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by outbound; 02-26-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: content
Old 02-26-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I am spoiled. I want everything. All controls in the cockpit. Give me an electric winch , I will take it. Give me a remote control auto helm, I take it. Give me a lazy boy arm armchair in place of helm seat, I take it.

I am a simple man, I like toys.
Well then, "simple" would seem far from the most appropriate word to apply, in that case...

If you crave "toys" on a boat, especially those that involve the continuous and uninterrupted flow of electrons, you are definitely choosing complexity over simplicity... ENTIRELY different ballgame, the polar opposite of favoring The Simple Life... I get paid to sail complex boats, and sometimes it's not nearly enough to deal with the hassle... When I'm sailing for pleasure, I'll take a comparatively "simple" boat, every time...

Those who want to keep things simple, would favor a tiller over a wheel, vane steering over an autopilot, overlarge tankage and water catchment over watermakers, and halyards at the mast instead of led aft to the cockpit...

Anyone with that much reluctance to leave the cockpit, should perhaps consider taking up a more sedentary pastime than sailing, anyway... (grin, bigtime)
Old 02-26-2013

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road

Deck organisers, clutches, blocks and run reefs, lazyjacks, main, jib, gen/spinniker to cabintop, furler to starboard aft, gennaker tacklead along side with furler and jib sheet chokers in jam cleats on each side.
Tiller pilot and bungee backup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Humbly disagree with Jon about electric winches. Find don't need the motor in the beginning and like to feel the tension in the line at the end so hand crank that part but it's a joy in the middle. Mostly "single" as one of us is either down below, up in the bow daydreaming or sleeping.
Nah, trust me - if I sailed an Outbound 46, I'd have electric winches, as well... (grin)
Old 02-26-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
My experience has been quite the opposite... I know such a system can be made to work reasonably well - and someday I hope to sail with Jeff H on his boat, as I know he's put such a setup to very good effect... but pretty much every time I get on a delivery of a larger boat with the main halyard led aft, I know I'm in for multiple trips to and from the mast to deal with the snags caberg alludes to, if I'm singlehanding...

The worst case senario, is when a high-modulus rope like T-900 is used for the main halyard, in conjunction with an electric winch and rope clutches for all the crap that's led aft... Such rope will quickly acquire a set that is virtually impossible to pull back through a clutch from forward without hockling and kinking... On more than one boat, I've found the easiest thing to do when lowering the main singlehanded, was to simply toss the whole mess of halyard tail over the stern, let it trail out and unwind that way...

As I said, I'm sure it can be done - but in my observation/experience, it sure isn't being done well very frequently...

In addition, on boats with dodgers overhead canvas, I hate having to hoist the main without being able to easily watch it all the way up, that can be a real invitation to trouble... People putting the halyard on a self-tailing electric winch, and pressing the button without having a clear view of the mast, that can be a recipe for disaster...

Finally, I really don't like the idea of compromising the watertight integrity of a dodger or doghouse, but cutting holes in the leading edge for the passage of lines aft... In heavy weather, it can be shocking how much water can be admitted into what otherwise might stay a relatively dry area...

So, have I mentioned I really don't like lines led aft to the cockpit on most boats? (grin)
Captain Jon, you are a purist. In other post, others mentioned you as like person they want to meet. I am afraid to meet you becasue you will kick my ass flying across Pacific ocean.

OK, I be advised that I will stick my head out the dodge when I use the electric main halyard. Better yet, I will manually crank the remaining few inches by hand. Been there done that, have a story to tell too.

Good call though

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-26-2013

Jon- love dinghy sailing and even a catboat with just one string to pull but at a certain size and when you're aiming only at the horizon
tiller sweep takes up to much of the cockpit when you tack
windvane doesn't work if your boat is fast enough going downwind
you're are truly off the grid and it hasn't rained.
you're by yourself and see the line squall and the main needs to come down NOW as the metereoman keeps dropping.
Was told Ed Joy's old boss said he wanted a tiller steered ( on gugdeons and pinions) 30' full keeled boat for his retirement. I'm not that old yet ( grin ).
Old 02-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Well then, "simple" would seem far from the most appropriate word to apply, in that case...

If you crave "toys" on a boat, especially those that involve the continuous and uninterrupted flow of electrons, you are definitely choosing complexity over simplicity... ENTIRELY different ballgame, the polar opposite of favoring The Simple Life... I get paid to sail complex boats, and sometimes it's not nearly enough to deal with the hassle... When I'm sailing for pleasure, I'll take a comparatively "simple" boat, every time...

Those who want to keep things simple, would favor a tiller over a wheel, vane steering over an autopilot, overlarge tankage and water catchment over watermakers, and halyards at the mast instead of led aft to the cockpit...

Anyone with that much reluctance to leave the cockpit, should perhaps consider taking up a more sedentary pastime than sailing, anyway... (grin, bigtime)
Thats me a sedentary poor spelling sedimentry rock.....in the cockpit safe and sound. oh and did I mention dry behind my dodger and chartplotter and radar...never looking up.

Better sailing hrough electronics is my new motto

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-26-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2013

Chef- Jon's right. There is a purity when you are closer to the elementary forces we harness when sailing. A tiller in your hand. Doing a sight reduction correctly. But I'm on your side as well. I've been cold wet and scared enough to keep me for the rest of my life. I got to go back to work now. Need to save up for Jon.( grin) From his posts even though I try to tease him it's clear he is very skilled and someone who could teach me more than a thing or two.
Faster likes this.