Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road
Question about USCG Operational Endorsement

So, an offer someone made to me got me wondering about my USCG COD. The only operational endorsement I have is "Recreation".

In a nutshell, the offer was to the effect that I would instruct sailing lessons for a sailing school on my boat. I have led lessons for this school for a few years on the school's boats. Students pay the school for lessons. I would recieve no monetary compensation for the instructing. I would benefit, however, from the school's port supply discount at local marine stores. Basically, it would be a pretty casual thing - new students creating overflow on the schools boats could (if I felt like it that day) head out with me for some basic sailing instruction...

I'm not looking for advice about whether or not not to take this offer as I've already declined it, because I'm simply not interested in doing it. However, it got me wondering - would this be a violation of my endorsement? Technically, no one is paying me... They are paying someone else to sail on my boat. So, if you did this, would just be the world's biggest sucker for letting someone else make all the profit off your boat/time, or are you in trouble the coasties as well
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Question about USCG Operational Endorsement

CG may look at this way, the student or passenger is paying some body. I don't think they will care if you get money or not.

OTOH, since you are the captain, it is easy to get a six pac license to cover your butt.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 02-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I'm betting that the Port Supply discount would be considered compensation, as it was specifically in exchange for service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-26-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Great Question.. I'm interested in the correct answer too. Though, I haven't/wouldn't do it, I've been asked by schools if I would use my boat to teach lessons on. (my instruction). Basically putting my vessel into the service of the school.

I went looking for exceptions, but can't find any. It appears that a coastwise COD would be required. You can hold multiple documentations. ( recreational/coastwise.)

I believe Minne is right when he says that port supply discounts would be considered compensation.

Licensure of the skipper is a seperate issue.
Old 02-27-2013

Agreed. The License for the skipper is a different issue. I don't have any real ambitions to get a captain's license, since I don't think I can make living doing it right now :-) ... I can say, the arrangement that was offered to me has been offered to many others in our Marina who have taken it up - so folks are certainly "getting away with it". None of them are captains either - I don't know if that matters. I know a woman at my marina who took the courses and got her six pac and can't put her own boat back in it's slip, so whatever the legality, I can't see I would feel safer on a boat just because the skipper has a captains license.
Old 02-27-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

It also doesn't answer the insurance implications. If they think you're a business rather than recreational only, your coverage could be in question if you get into a scrape..
Old 02-27-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Just my two cents, but the way I understand the USCG regs is this:

If you accept compensation to skipper in a vessel in US waters, you need a USCG Captain's License. If your boat is being used for anything other than recreational purposes (e.g. being chartered or used as training vessel with paying customers) then your boat's USCG documentation should have a coastwise endorsement (or something other than just a recreational endorsement, depending on the type of trade the vessel is engaged in).
Tempest and hillenme like this.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 02-27-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillenme View Post
So, an offer someone made to me got me wondering about my USCG COD. The only operational endorsement I have is "Recreation".
Gotta ask, what is a COD?

As to the situation, what has been described above requires a proper captain;s license. If some folks have been taking passengers out for even implied compensation, they are playing stupid Russian roulette, and the consequences can be severe. For example:
Coast Guard, Illinois officials crack down on illegal charter boats - Professional Mariner - Web Exclusive 2012
Old 02-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Gotta ask, what is a COD?[/url]
COD = Certificate of Documentation. My vessel is Coast Gaurd Documented, not state registered.
Old 02-27-2013

Very interesting article! I'd say that about sums it up It goes double for me, personally, as I'm in downtown Chicago.