Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013

Danielgordon28 is on a distinguished road
Looking for a home in NYC

After a few years of commuting to my home town of Mystic Ct throughout the sailing season, it's time to bring our 23' on deck, 30' sparred Friendship sloop to NY. I'm not having the easiest time with my search. The easiest slips and moorings to find are out of my price range. I live in queens but am open to commuting. Just not 3 hours. Naturally if someone has a slip or mooring available I'd like to hear about it, but I'm more looking for a starting point for my search. Thanks, -Dan.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for a home in NYC

In the Brooklyn Area

You might look in Paerdegat Basin - Hudson River Yacht Club is really nice and friendly too, and there are regular marinas along the basin.

Its been a long time but check Mill Basin as well.
Old 03-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I would stay on the north shore of Long Island to maximize the use, unless you prefer NY harbor, Sandy Hook and the Hudson.

How far is Port Washington, Glen Cove, Huntington or Northport. There are dozens of marinas along that route.

If you haven't used www.activecaptain.com, I would recommend it for scanning through others reviews of each. Go to the interactive guide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-02-2013

wmmulvey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielgordon28 View Post
After a few years of commuting to my home town of Mystic Ct throughout the sailing season, it's time to bring our 23' on deck, 30' sparred Friendship sloop to NY. I'm not having the easiest time with my search. The easiest slips and moorings to find are out of my price range. I live in queens but am open to commuting. Just not 3 hours. Naturally if someone has a slip or mooring available I'd like to hear about it, but I'm more looking for a starting point for my search. Thanks, -Dan.
You might want to consider THE RARITAN YACHT CLUB located in Perth Amboy, NJ The club is offering memberships at this time and is very reasonably priced compared to others. There are many moorings available at this time.

Check us out on Facebook and RYC.ORG

Its a short and direct hop across Staten Island using the Outerbridge crossing.

Queens to Perth Amboy probably no more than a 1 hr commute

Feel free to contact me. Leave your e-mail address and I will respond.

Regards

Bill

Last edited by wmmulvey; 03-02-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I feel bad for the RYC as they really got slammed by h'cane Sandy. Many members lost boats and I saw photos of the aftermath that showed what looked like a train wreck in their storage yard. I'm sure they could use an influx of new members.

Slips in the NY/LI/CT area are going to cost you several thousands of dollars a season. A possible exception might be a marina run by a local town, like the one at Harry Tappan Beach in the town of Oyster Bay: http://www.oysterbaytown.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={F5EDEC47-D633-40FB-BE56-1D0F60C3B0EC}&DE={012F3213-5C07-479D-9B05-2F617DD2EE21}
Moorings are also available through the Village of Great Neck at: Great Neck Parks
Since you would be a non-resident I'm not sure what the fees would be.

I'd also look into joining a place like Hempstead Harbor Club which offers only moorings but would be cheaper than any "Yacht Club". Hempstead Harbour Club - Since 1891
HHC would be my first choice if my boat was still on the Sound.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-02-2013

wmmulvey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I feel bad for the RYC as they really got slammed by h'cane Sandy. Many members lost boats and I saw photos of the aftermath that showed what looked like a train wreck in their storage yard. I'm sure they could use an influx of new members.

Slips in the NY/LI/CT area are going to cost you several thousands of dollars a season. A possible exception might be a marina run by a local town, like the one at Harry Tappan Beach in the town of Oyster Bay: http://www.oysterbaytown.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={F5EDEC47-D633-40FB-BE56-1D0F60C3B0EC}&DE={012F3213-5C07-479D-9B05-2F617DD2EE21}
Moorings are also available through the Village of Great Neck at: Great Neck Parks
Since you would be a non-resident I'm not sure what the fees would be.

I'd also look into joining a place like Hempstead Harbor Club which offers only moorings but would be cheaper than any "Yacht Club". Hempstead Harbour Club - Since 1891
HHC would be my first choice if my boat was still on the Sound.
Thanks for your note on RYC. Sadly, my Morgan 30 along with 35 others in the yard and were totaled by the storm. We are up and running. Work on the docks will be starting soon and will be opened for the season sometime in April - May

Regards

Bill
Old 03-02-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Dan, you might try the Douglaston Yacht Squadron (Club). They're the ones to the east of the Bayside Marina. Which is another option but not very accessible. There's a marina in College Point that has docks/slips but their entrance is a zig-zag through a breakwall which can also make it hard to get in/out at times.
Old 03-02-2013

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

Nyack Boat Club, Nyack NY is a down to earth solid (members do all the work) sailing facility and you just can not beat the price; but you have to put your appointed time and labor in to it.
Great folks.
Wish I were back there.
Dick
Old 03-02-2013
Sailing Chance

SailingChance is on a distinguished road

When we were in NY we had a slip at DiMeglio's in Brooklyn. A bit of a hike to the subway from there, but bikeable.

Kelley
Sailing Chance | Sailing through the Caribbean | Sailing Chance | Sailing through the Caribbean
facebook.com/sailingchance
Old 03-03-2013
Weekend Sailor

edguy3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmmulvey View Post
You might want to consider THE RARITAN YACHT CLUB located in Perth Amboy, NJ The club is offering memberships at this time and is very reasonably priced compared to others. There are many moorings available at this time.

Check us out on Facebook and RYC.ORG
RYC has an open house at 1pm today, Sunday, so it is an ideal day to visit.
It is reasonably close to the train station as well.

/ed

Tags
friendship sloop , mooring , queens ny