SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Avoid sweating? But I'm a Florida sailor.

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  JohnandTerri 
#1 ·
Bad very itchy rash feels a lot like poison ivy all over my upper chest.
First diagnosis was Shingles, then "No, not shingles, you're allergic to something", now its "Grover"s disease"......"huh. is it s'posed to make me act like I'm on Sesame Street"? "No, she says but avoid sweating"
WHAT, how is that possible? I'm a 5th gen Fl native. I spend my spare time cruising the Bahamas where I sweat like crazy.
Dang, I sweat even in February here in Tallahassee. Bahamas are just WARM so cannot avoid it there. MY BOAT IS REGISTERED THERE fer Gods sake.
When my wife hears this she's gonna insist we move to Wyoming.
WTF

#4 ·
come on up here, we have temps in the 30's and snowing every freaking day it seems. maybe it just seems bad because I moved back here from FL last fall and I just bought a boat and can't wait for ice out.

SO come on up and we'll roll you around on the "hard water" for a bit. Guaranteed you won't sweat. LOL

#5 ·
Bad very itchy rash feels a lot like poison ivy all over my upper chest.
First diagnosis was Shingles, then "No, not shingles, you're allergic to something", now its "Grover"s disease"......"huh.
Dude, it could be fungus. Try washing yourself with an anti-dandruff shampoo containing selenium (like Selsun) for a few days to see if it makes a difference.

#8 ·
What about wearing moisture wicking shirts to help reduce the moisture on your chest?
Moisture wicking shirts make all the difference! Cotton just holds moisture against your skin. I wouldn't go backpacking in a cotton T and I only sail in a cotton shirt when it's not hot and humid out.

#7 ·
Got the diagnosis from the biopsy. Gotta take lots of steroids and she (dermatologist) still says, "Sweating aggravates it". Might go away and might be chronic. A possible reaction to taking meds for Malaria years ago? What?
In my old age (56) I sweat so much that my crew always has orders to hassle me to drink water to avoid dehydration (has happened twice).
We have property in WY from living there in the early 80s. If I even suggested we go back there my wife would have her stuff packed before I finished the sentence.
In spite of being the windiest place I have ever seen, ther isn't much water for sailing.

#11 ·
Treatment for Grover's Disease Geared Toward Relieving Itching and Rash

You might want to get second opinion on how to deal with it. Mayo seems to say thta clogged sweat glands can be part of the problem, in which case sweating itself would not be a problem. Keeping the skin clean (washcloth frequently) might help. Using talc will help keep the skin dry, also the "wicking" quick-dry type shirts instead of cotton. There are "cooling vests" of different types and prices that also will help keep your body temp down, which will reduce some of the sweat.

But is sure does sound like you'll just have to use some patience to try different ways of reducing the problem, while waiting to see if it passes. Getting old sucks, but then again, it may be better than the alternative. (G)

#14 ·
shingles, or herpes zoster, present on nerve paths. not just waist level--that is how to misdiagnose every time. any and every nerve pathway is susceptible. mine come on my ulnar nerve path. mommas are on her face.. yummy and fun...
some present pon entire back--not just one side--another misconception.
herpes zoster doesnt follow rules, as per human body--it doesnt foloow rules. no medicine is written in stone.

h9w do i know??

try over 30 years as rn in intensive care areas including post anes care management as a bedside--no degree..lol(have assoc rn ..lol.. i worked many years as intensive care and trauma and cath lab and gi lab and anything with monitors, and was in process of certifying in forensics as i left....
over 5 years triaging emergency room patients and treating them...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.