SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Avoid sweating? But I'm a Florida sailor. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97082-avoid-sweating-but-im-florida-sailor.html)

Frogwatch 02-27-2013 05:31 PM

Avoid sweating? But I'm a Florida sailor.

Bad very itchy rash feels a lot like poison ivy all over my upper chest.
First diagnosis was Shingles, then "No, not shingles, you're allergic to something", now its "Grover"s disease"......"huh. is it s'posed to make me act like I'm on Sesame Street"? "No, she says but avoid sweating"
WHAT, how is that possible? I'm a 5th gen Fl native. I spend my spare time cruising the Bahamas where I sweat like crazy.
Dang, I sweat even in February here in Tallahassee. Bahamas are just WARM so cannot avoid it there. MY BOAT IS REGISTERED THERE fer Gods sake.
When my wife hears this she's gonna insist we move to Wyoming.
WTF

Seaduction 02-27-2013 05:57 PM

Re: Avoid sweating? But I'm a Florida sailor.

Shingles usually presents around waist level. I assume "she" is a physician. If so, is she a dermatologist? There are medications for treating Grover's Disease. Good luck with your therapy.

arf145 02-27-2013 07:04 PM

Shingles are also only on one side or the other.

avenger79 02-28-2013 09:46 AM

come on up here, we have temps in the 30's and snowing every freaking day it seems. maybe it just seems bad because I moved back here from FL last fall and I just bought a boat and can't wait for ice out.

SO come on up and we'll roll you around on the "hard water" for a bit. Guaranteed you won't sweat. LOL

krisscross 02-28-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogwatch (Post 995979)
Bad very itchy rash feels a lot like poison ivy all over my upper chest.
First diagnosis was Shingles, then "No, not shingles, you're allergic to something", now its "Grover"s disease"......"huh.

Dude, it could be fungus. Try washing yourself with an anti-dandruff shampoo containing selenium (like Selsun) for a few days to see if it makes a difference.

remetau 02-28-2013 12:01 PM

I wouldn't want to move north at all. Besides, you'll sweat up there in the summer too.

What about wearing moisture wicking shirts to help reduce the moisture on your chest?

Frogwatch 02-28-2013 12:32 PM

Got the diagnosis from the biopsy. Gotta take lots of steroids and she (dermatologist) still says, "Sweating aggravates it". Might go away and might be chronic. A possible reaction to taking meds for Malaria years ago? What?
In my old age (56) I sweat so much that my crew always has orders to hassle me to drink water to avoid dehydration (has happened twice).
We have property in WY from living there in the early 80s. If I even suggested we go back there my wife would have her stuff packed before I finished the sentence.
In spite of being the windiest place I have ever seen, ther isn't much water for sailing.

arf145 02-28-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remetau (Post 996330)
What about wearing moisture wicking shirts to help reduce the moisture on your chest?

Moisture wicking shirts make all the difference! Cotton just holds moisture against your skin. I wouldn't go backpacking in a cotton T and I only sail in a cotton shirt when it's not hot and humid out.

JohnandTerri 02-28-2013 01:08 PM

Good luck, hope it gets better. I can understand how you feel we are down in Crawfordville

Frogwatch 02-28-2013 02:08 PM

John and Terri:

Y'all sail outta Shell Point? You ABYC members?