SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Good prices on Sunbrella? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97115-good-prices-sunbrella.html)

jimgo 02-28-2013 11:48 AM

Good prices on Sunbrella?

Does anyone know a good source for Sunbrella? It seems most of the web sites list it at about the same price. I was just wondering if there was a "Sunbrella outlet" for overruns and the like.

chef2sail 02-28-2013 12:06 PM

Re: Good prices on Sunbrella?

Hard to find for less than $17 ft unless you are lucky at a Joann's who has some remnants.
Sometimes if you think you will use a lot Sailrite has coupons for 20% off dur ing the year and you can stock yo more cheaply for "projects".

Sure miss Dan and the Annapolis store

4arch 02-28-2013 12:17 PM

Defender has also gotten into selling Sunbrella. They carry the normal 46 and 60 inch widths but they also carry 80 inch width which was awesome for making my bimini all in one piece.

smurphny 02-28-2013 12:23 PM

There are some good remnant deals on Ebay. I got a piece last year for a very low price.

T37Chef 02-28-2013 12:33 PM

As mentioned, JoAnnes Fabrics or similar sometimes have it for good prices. You may consider calling Bacons & Assocites in Annapolis, they used to carry it at reasonable prices.

jimgo 02-28-2013 12:39 PM

Thanks. For some reason, I thought Sunbrella was excluded from the Joann's sales.

Alex W 02-28-2013 12:45 PM

Sailrite occasionally has 20% off fabric sales.

If you aren't picky about color then you can sometimes find partial rolls on eBay for 50% or more off of the normal price. My best so far was getting 10 yards of Surlast for $29 delivered, even in a color that matched the existing canvas on my boat. That is 20% of the retail price. Surlast is cheaper and good for low-load outdoor applications like boat covers or sail covers, but isn't a good option for a high load application like a dodger or bimini.

ottos 02-28-2013 03:32 PM

Jim,
As an alternative, look into Top Notch...I had a cover made from it (at the suggestion of the canvas shop) that is holding up well. It is less expensive.

Marlen Textiles | Top Notch Compared to Other Solution Dyed Fabrics

Jamestown Distributors

T37Chef 02-28-2013 03:43 PM

I was going to ask if there were any other manufactures of sunbrella like fabrics. Seems Sunbrella is the only name in marine/outdoor fabrics?

Captainmeme 02-28-2013 03:52 PM

You might want to check out this online retailer for prices on Sunbrella as well as other dyed polyester material.

Upholstery Supply & Marine Fabric Superstore

I have no connection with them or have ordered from them.