Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Rudder lost at sea and rescue

"Noah.... build me an ark....." BUT YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE EMERGENCY GEAR!
chef2sail likes this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
Considering it is a plan for a 'typical' boat, it works on the drawing board. Designing for specific boat use would no doubt improve the execution. Denise makes a good point about long term tiller steering fatigue. Looks like the pivot point between "tiller" and "rudder" is off on this plan, that would cause early operator fatigue. Fine tuning will need to consider steering through the stern rail, above the pedestal, it's doable. When you consider the "emergency" tillers supplied by builders, this is more realistic, especially for anyone going beyond the site of land.
I like this. Good part of the discussion. Learning

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-03-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
For discussion:

This was the setup that passed a race committee requirement for an emergency steering setup. The plan was to ubolt a pre drilled lift-out board from the V berth to the end of the spinn pole, lash it to the backstay with some kind of chafe protection and either use it as a tiller, or lash the other end to the top of the wheel (if still serviceable). This was built, assembled, installed for trial but never actually put to the test... what'd'ya think?

I think on that passage, an NFL linebacker would be ready to drop from exhaustion after about 3 hours of attempting to steer a fin-keeled boat DDW in 25+ knots and 12-15' seas using such a rig...

Did anyone look at the link I provided to the passage made by the Sweden 390 EGRET above? A boat remarkably similar in design to a CS 36? They completed a passage of 2200 NM, the last 1500 of it without a freakin' rudder, in only 26 days... Hit their intended destination right on the nose, an absolute textbook example of how it should be done...

Tradewinds poled-out twin headsails and a drogue, people... Let the BOAT do the work, for chrissakes... (grin)
Old 03-03-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I think on that passage, an NFL linebacker would be ready to drop from exhaustion after about 3 hours of attempting to steer a fin-keeled boat DDW in 25+ knots and 12-15' seas using such a rig...

Did anyone look at the link I provided to the passage made by the Sweden 390 EGRET above? A boat remarkably similar in design to a CS 36? They completed a passage of 2200 NM, the last 1500 of it without a freakin' rudder, in only 26 days... Hit their intended destination right on the nose, an absolute textbook example of how it should be done...

Tradewinds poled-out twin headsails and a drogue, people... Let the BOAT do the work, for chrissakes... (grin)
Hmmm. You may be onto something with this new-fangled "headsail thing":

http://www.rnvryc.org/Resources/Docu...012_Spring.pdf

Paulo also provided a great link in which the dude tried virtually all of the methods mentioned above - even Faster's:

http://www.sail-world.com/news_print....cfm?Nid=29988
(Sounds like their bow thruster was handy)
deniseO30 and krisscross like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-03-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I did Jon. It was a fascinating read once I found it in *.pdf format.
Typical British aplomb. He wanted to offer a cup of tea to the fellow, Alan, who had brought them some extra diesel fuel. There was no time for tea however.

Everybody has one:

Old 03-03-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I did Jon. It was a fascinating read once I found it in *.pdf format.
Typical British aplomb. He wanted to offer a cup of tea to the fellow, Alan, who had brought them some extra diesel fuel. There was no time for tea however.
Hi Caleb,

Say, do you know a boat out of Nyack, a Cape George 31 named GREY SEAL?

I'm presently taking her south, and around to the west coast of FL... Hard to believe she's 25+ years old, obviously sailed rarely if at all, this thing is freakin' perfect... Just wondering if you knew the boat, or the previous owner?

deniseO30 likes this.
Old 03-03-2013

irmedic is on a distinguished road

Here's the ais track info on that ship:
AMAZON GUARDIAN - Vessel's Details and Current Position - 9197739 - 239649000

Old 03-03-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

I have skimmed the thread.

ISAF offshore rules require an emergency rudder. Install gudgeons on the transom and have a rudder with pintles to match stowed on board.

The spin pole rudder will work. Some friends in the 2000 Vic Maui sailed 600 miles on one. I brought the boat back with a rebuilt stainless rudder.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 03-04-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi Caleb,

I'm presently taking her south, and around to the west coast of FL... Hard to believe she's 25+ years old, obviously sailed rarely if at all, this thing is freakin' perfect... Just wondering if you knew the boat, or the previous owner?

Hi Jon,
I don't recognize that boat from Nyack Boat Club. She might have been kept at Petersen's just up river. Karl Coplan keeps his 38' Wiaquez at NBC but a fellow from CSBB named Efriam kept his boat at Petersen's although Grey Seal is not his IIRC.

This spec sheet for the Cape George 31' says that they were first made in 1990: CAPE GEORGE 31 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com Perhaps the boat is 25- years old. Will you take that 4'6" draft through Lake Okeechobee or go outside?

I know that Karl C. likes to follow your posts. He is an interesting fellow and quite a sailor.

What is with all the ice on the lifelines? I suppose it is still winter out on the Atlantic as it is here for a short while yet.

Everybody has one:

Old 03-04-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi Caleb,

Jon! there is a Emergency rudder aboard right?
smackdaddy likes this.

my current "project"!