SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Rudder lost at sea and rescue (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97118-rudder-lost-sea-rescue.html)

CalebD 02-28-2013 03:13 PM

Rudder lost at sea and rescue

Stumbled on this story at the csbb forum: Viewfinder

Much less harrowing than Doug Sabbag's tale.

Maine Sail 02-28-2013 04:00 PM

Re: Rudder lost at sea and rescue

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 996432)
Stumbled on this story at the csbb forum: Viewfinder

Much less harrowing than Doug Sabbag's tale.

Pretty sad story. The first rudder hit a submerged object. It was "repaired" with poor workmanship and poor welding.:mad: It failed pretty quickly but like the first time they made it to shore for repairs.. They then had the rudder re-built a second time and again a sad case of sloppy workmanship clearly caused the rudder to fall off completely...

I doubt we'll ever know much about the rudder repairs as Jim seems like a pretty hands off guy and very trusting of the yard monkeys.. In this case the term MONKEY'S might be a compliment to the schmucks who screwed him over...... Very sad story, but at least they are safe...

smurphny 02-28-2013 04:08 PM

That's a great story Caleb. One of the main points of vulnerability on any boat seems to be the rudder.. They can get knocked out of commission by stuff in the water, by groundings, or just simply breaking. As posted before, I made up an emergency rudder set-up that stows away fairly easily and could be assembled/installed in a couple of hours if necessary. Some of the vane steering units also have emergency rudder capability. Having some kind of basic steering option when a rudder breaks would seem to me to be a priority for any boat going more than say 10 miles out of sight of land.

deniseO30 02-28-2013 04:20 PM

They could have let the shipwrights on board the big ship help them build a transom hung rudder of some sort instead of abandoning ship!

mad_machine 02-28-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurphny (Post 996466)
. Having some kind of basic steering option when a rudder breaks would seem to me to be a priority for any boat going more than say 10 miles out of sight of land.

I agree with you completely. Even a large oar or a pair of "homer" paint buckets like they have at Home Depot would have worked as a kedge anchor.

LauderBoy 02-28-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 996473)
They could have let the shipwrights on board the big ship help them build a transom hung rudder of some sort instead of abandoning ship!

Realistically this wouldn't be all that easy. And then who's to say the new rudder wouldn't also fail after a bit of use.

In the mean time a very expensive big ship has to stay around. It'd probably be more expensive for that large ship to stay where it was for a couple hours than the smaller ship was worth.

chef2sail 02-28-2013 05:42 PM

I could only get back a few days to see earler blogs of the Viewfunder.
Is there anymore information about the experience of the crew?
Who was the captain of this vessel?

Dave

chef2sail 02-28-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 996512)
I could only get back a few days to see earler blogs of the Viewfunder.
Is there anymore information about the experience of the crew?
Who was the captain of this vessel?

Dave

More pictures

Time to take lots of photos but not enought time to scuttle?

deniseO30 02-28-2013 10:12 PM

eh.. me thinks they wanted to be rid of the boat...

deniseO30 02-28-2013 10:38 PM

That boat was well equipped too. Davits, rescue raft, solar..And from reading his blog. Just seems the "captain" was too willing to let her go. Wouldn't we use a reefed main and jib to try and balance the boat if we lost a rudder? I dunno.. just guessing, wondering what McGiver woulda done.
jus sayin..