Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Catalina 42 ... Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
Just for comparison, mine is completely dry inside through heavy rain or taking waves over the bow.
Mine was too until I tried it in racing conditions for 10+ hours beating directly into the famous square chop of the Chespeake with 20kts+ on the nose, the rail nearly in the water and a foot of water over the entire foredeck, as often as not . These would be mild conditions compared to what you could expect to encounter at least at some point in an ocean crossing.

Unless its a hull/deck joint leak, its something that can be addressed, but its also something you need to be prepared for if you are buying a 15+ year old boat and thinking of crossing oceans with it. Rudders are another area of concern for a Catalina of this vintage. Many will have wet core by this age, which should be addressed before venturing far offshore.

Personally, I think Catalina made an improvement going to the toe rail type hull/deck joint of the C400, but I still prefer the C42 cabin layout.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 03-01-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Not a boat I would take down into the southern ocean but for what you are planning they will do just fine.

I would look for one with slab reefing rather than inmast furling though.
Faster and chef2sail like this.
Old 03-02-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Not a boat I would take down into the southern ocean but for what you are planning they will do just fine.

I would look for one with slab reefing rather than inmast furling though.
I would half agree. Boat should be adequate for the purpose you mention. The reality is that there are an incredible range of boats 'out there' being cruised successfully.

I have had my first experience with a furling main with our current boat and have been very impressed it after 25,000 mostly bluewater miles. It has not given us any trouble and offers tremendous flexibility and the safety of not having to leave the cockpit when the snot hits the fan. With vane steering it is wonderful for balancing the rig. One caveat, my experience is only with Hood gear and I can't comment on the reliability of others. We met a Swiss couple who had had so many problems with jams on the inmast furling on their Discovery 55 that they replaced the entire rig with one that in boom furling. Don't know the brand.
JimMcGee likes this.
Old 03-02-2013
s/v 'Bout Time

malyea is on a distinguished road

I've only sailed two boats with in mast furling - a Hunter 40 DS and a Saga 409...both had furling issues nearly every time we furled, either at days end or with increasing wind. I don't think poor technique was the cause but rather less than perfect maintenance I suspect.
I'm pretty sure that I'm nearly convinced that for every 10,000 sea miles an in mast system will malfunction more often than slab reefing...
I may be budging on the wing keel issue but I doubt I'll ever own a rig with in mast furling.
Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyea View Post
I've only sailed two boats with in mast furling - a Hunter 40 DS and a Saga 409...both had furling issues nearly every time we furled, either at days end or with increasing wind. I don't think poor technique was the cause but rather less than perfect maintenance I suspect.
I'm pretty sure that I'm nearly convinced that for every 10,000 sea miles an in mast system will malfunction more often than slab reefing...
I may be budging on the wing keel issue but I doubt I'll ever own a rig with in mast furling.
Thoughts?
I think I'm with you on both counts. I really don't have any negative experience with a winged keel, but the performance side of sailing always calls to me, so I'd almost certainly opt for a deep keel version of whatever proves to be my next boat, so long as the draft was still reasonable for the Chesapeake and east coast.

The apparent convienience of the furling main appeals to one side of me while the performance side of my brain is repelled by the flat cut and lack of roach in these sails. Also being a bit of a pessimist, I fully expect a rolling furler main would fail me at exactly the worst time, which would displease the lazy side of my personality that was drawn to it in the first place, so this one feature I find easy to leave off my list of wants.
Faster and chef2sail like this.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 03-02-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2013

BCC1 is on a distinguished road

Ok, I'm just a weekend & vacation sailor, but that's every weekend from the beginning of April till the end of November. I've had three boats with in mast furling and that's part of the reason I'm out sailing virtually every day I'm on the boat, when many (most) seem not to bother.

The latest is a 41 Beneteau with vertical battens and it's as completely trouble free as the other 2....and fast. Granted, it's not a boat for ocean cruising.

So, it depends what kind of sailing you plan to do. Sit at the dock or circumnavigate would be one choice, sailing and anchoring most days would be the other.
JimMcGee likes this.
Old 03-03-2013
s/v 'Bout Time

malyea is on a distinguished road

...I think the more moving parts, the more chance for malfunction.
Old 03-03-2013

sailsupnwegone is on a distinguished road

Good for you sails up and your gone. Enjoy!!!
Old 03-03-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

Inmast furling would be a non-starter for me. After sailing the C42 for a while in nasty conditions, come back and tell us how she might handle 20' waves on a ocean crossing. Otherwise, sounds like a great retirement.
Old 03-03-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

If given a choice I would go for the in mast furling. Having used most systems and having many get together's with other cruisers, It would seem those that had problems where due to worn, stretched and out of shape sail. If I can find me some more money and I do upgrade right near the top of the nice to have list will be In Mast Furling.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.