Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Catalina 42 ... Why not?

Pretty much every modern furling mast i have seen has a second slot for a storm sail and as i have seen plenty of normal sails a LOT worse off when used in winds that require that 3rd reef point

The strom tri would seem to be a prudent piece of gear on any offshore voyage and any type of mast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013
s/v 'Bout Time

malyea is on a distinguished road

All good points (I still remain skeptical from some experience with/ref in mast furling...)...
...but my other issue is with a wing keel...

A good salesman at the Miami Boat Show has me just about convinced I should go with a wing keel as first choice (fin keel was my original first choice)...

I like the shallower draft wing keel for coastal US, Keys and Bahamas and not too worried about 'loss of upwind performance' in a C42 as the owner reports indicate they do quite well with wing keel.....

BUT - how much more difficult is it to unstick a wing keel from a grounding vs a fin keel AND - the shallower draft of the wing affords less 'protection' for the rudder vs the deeper fin.

Thoughts?
Old 03-04-2013

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Are you sure you want to turn this into a wing vs fin keel debate? I think you may be better off reading a few thousand existing posts on the subject rather than rehashing it here. (In the end I don't think you will have a clear answer anyway).
JimMcGee and davidpm like this.
Old 03-04-2013
s/v 'Bout Time

Smile Re: Catalina 42 ... Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
Are you sure you want to turn this into a wing vs fin keel debate? I think you may be better off reading a few thousand existing posts on the subject rather than rehashing it here. (In the end I don't think you will have a clear answer anyway).
Well sure, why not...??? There's usually at least couple new perspectives in any good ole' rehash

Fin keel vs wing keel for coastal US, Bahamas, Keys, Caribbean and maybe a crossing or two.....

Thoughts?
Old 03-04-2013

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
OK...

The only people that will tell you that a wing keel works as well as a fin keel are people that own a wing keel, or have one to sell. If you don't care about upwind performance a wing keel will serve you just fine. Even on the Chesapeake Bay, (lots of shallow water) I glad a have a fin keel and I don't feel like the 6' 8" draft is a problem at all. The boats I used to race on usually had approximately 10' drafts, and one was 14' 6'. The point is that I think 6' 8" really aint that deep. (But many will probably disagree.)
Old 03-04-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
OK...

The only people that will tell you that a wing keel works as well as a fin keel are people that own a wing keel, or have one to sell. If you don't care about upwind performance a wing keel will serve you just fine. Even on the Chesapeake Bay, (lots of shallow water) I glad a have a fin keel and I don't feel like the 6' 8" draft is a problem at all. The boats I used to race on usually had approximately 10' drafts, and one was 14' 6'. The point is that I think 6' 8" really aint that deep. (But many will probably disagree.)
I agree with Steve on this one even as a wing keel owner. I also hold the humble opinion that 6'5" is not excessive draft for a 42' boat, even on the Chesapeake. Heck, a First 36.7 draws over 7 feet.

Wing keels are a compromise and while they will perform "ok", they never out perform the same boat with a fin. I've only owned wing keel boats, and both of them exhibited fairly strong weather helm sooner than I would have expected. The fin keeled boats I crewed on seemed to have a bit more tolerance as the winds built. I'll tell you my boat sails ok and no worse than the many other shoal draft boats here on the bay, but if I could have the same boat with a fin, I'd take it.

Re: the grounding issue I feel the argument is both overblown and there is a corollary in that I believe, based on my experience, that a wing keel is likely easier to unstick if you run around while motoring since its broad bottom tends to bounce/skip rather than dig a groove. I've found the bottom many times poking around the creeks off the Chessy, and have always managed to manuver off fairly easily. Now if you sail yourself aground, I agree the wing might make life more difficult.
Spencechip likes this.
Old 03-04-2013

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

Everyone makes such a big deal over wing vs fin. I have a question regarding the two, how much higher will a fin point? How much faster is a fin?

Of course the answer, if there can really be one, will be approximate since every boat is different.

Thanks in advance

Brad
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 03-04-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIVALO View Post
Everyone makes such a big deal over wing vs fin. I have a question regarding the two, how much higher will a fin point? How much faster is a fin?

Of course the answer, if there can really be one, will be approximate since every boat is different.

Thanks in advance

Brad
Take a look at the PHRF ratings to get an idea of the relative difference.

A C36 fin is roughly 15-20 seconds a mile faster than a wing keel C36 as rated by PHRF of the Chesapeake.
Old 03-04-2013
s/v 'Bout Time

In a slight rum haze....but can we 'convert' that to ' x percent faster'...?
Old 03-04-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Take a look at the PHRF ratings to get an idea of the relative difference.

A C36 fin is roughly 15-20 seconds a mile faster than a wing keel C36 as rated by PHRF of the Chesapeake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malyea View Post
In a slight rum haze....but can we 'convert' that to ' x percent faster'...?
Hmm, when cruising you're not going to be constantly tweaking sails to wring every last ounce out of her so the difference is -- drum-roll please -- negligible!

Offshore you may see some difference in leeway, in the Bahamas and Florida the draft may make a difference depending on where you go. Hell, where I'm sailing 10 feet feels like deep water.

It's a boat. Everything is a trade-off. It depends on where and how you want to sail her.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.