SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Catalina 42 ... Why not? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97127-catalina-42-why-not.html)

malyea 02-28-2013 08:15 PM

Catalina 42 ... Why not?

We retire in 4 years and plan to base out of St Augustine and sail from Maine to Aruba to the Dry Tortugas and all points in between (ie, the Bahamas, swimin' pigs and all!). We might even do a trans-Atlantic or two....

Seriously considering that a used Catalina 42 would be the right boat for us over a 10 to 20 year period.... sooooo - Why not a C 42?

Thoughts?

Thanks

SteveInMD 02-28-2013 08:23 PM

Re: Catalina 42 ... Why not?

As a racer I was skeptical of Catalinas. However, I now own a Catalina 42 and I must say I'm impressed. I believe they are a solid, well built boats that sail better than I expected. I'd buy one again.

Faster 02-28-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveInMD (Post 996647)
As a racer I was skeptical of Catalinas. However, I now own a Catalina 42 and I must say I'm impressed. I believe they are a solid, well built boats that sail better than I expected. I'd buy one again.

But what would you do with two of them?? ;)

I, too, think they'd be a great boat, though perhaps a pretty critical eye should be taken prior to an ocean crossing.

Lesser boats have done it, I'm sure...

SteveInMD 02-28-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 996663)
But what would you do with two of them?? ;)

I, too, think they'd be a great boat, though perhaps a pretty critical eye should be taken prior to an ocean crossing.

Lesser boats have done it, I'm sure...

If the sky is the limit on the budget and the primary criteria is crossing oceans, then I can think of a few other alternatives. However, my C 42 is on the Chesapeake Bay but it has been to the Galapagos Islands and California.

malyea 02-28-2013 09:41 PM

The sky is not the limit with a purchase price of around $100k with maybe $50k for upgrades. The primary criteria is coastal US and Caribbean with maybe once across and back to cruise a bit of Europe.

Magoofskie 03-01-2013 12:02 AM

Catalina 42 ... Why not?

Mmm, well this surely brings many boats in range. If ocean crossing is your game then they're many slightly older heavy built cruisers easily in budget. In today's market you could have change left over from your budget even after upgrades. A friend of mine has a Catalina 42 and recently has a problem with corroded keel bolts. He really uses his boat a few times a week out here in So Cal and corrosion is showing itself at the hull/ keel intersection. However he really loves his boat and it is perfect for Channel Island cruising with the occasional rough channel crossing.

malyea 03-01-2013 07:02 AM

slightly older heavy built cruisers......that's exactly the type boat I want to avoid since I'm somewhat of a realist. IMO, most folks that own "heavy built cruisers" spend much more time touting their boat's blue water capability than actually sailing blue water. I like the larger cockpit and liveaboard cabin volume that comes with a perfectly capable design like a Catalina 42.
Thoughts?

PalmettoSailor 03-01-2013 08:33 AM

I personally wouldn't try to cross the Atlantic with a C42, though with a thourgough going over it should be more than capable of your other goals.

Water will find its way into the v berth of my 1991 C36 after hours of pounding to weather. I know some of it is coming through the v-berth hatch, maybe only around the handles, but maybe the gasket. I also found wet areas along the hull indicating either a stantion leak or a leak through the hull deck joint. These issues would just a nuicance for coastal cruising, but could be serious issues for ocean crossings. Before I would take my boat on the coastal trips you envision I'd likely replace at least the v-berth hatch and rebed all the foredeck hardware. Just things to consider for you upgrade budget.

Also you might consider a C400 as well.

Faster 03-01-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malyea (Post 996682)
The sky is not the limit with a purchase price of around $100k with maybe $50k for upgrades. The primary criteria is coastal US and Caribbean with maybe once across and back to cruise a bit of Europe.

Not sure you'd find a MKII in that range... if you did it would probably need all of that $50K in putting it right. But the MKIs aren't that different, I don't think.. mainly in the look/deck and the cockpit.

SteveInMD 03-01-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor (Post 996799)
I personally wouldn't try to cross the Atlantic with a C42, though with a thourgough going over it should be more than capable of your other goals.

Water will find its way into the v berth of my 1991 C36 after hours of pounding to weather. I know some of it is coming through the v-berth hatch, maybe only around the handles, but maybe the gasket. I also found wet areas along the hull indicating either a stantion leak or a leak through the hull deck joint. These issues would just a nuicance for coastal cruising, but could be serious issues for ocean crossings. Before I would take my boat on the coastal trips you envision I'd likely replace at least the v-berth hatch and rebed all the foredeck hardware. Just things to consider for you upgrade budget.

Also you might consider a C400 as well.

Just for comparison, mine is completely dry inside through heavy rain or taking waves over the bow.